Need advice

Old 11-03-2003, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy Need advice

AS YOU KNOW I AM NEW TO THIS SITE, AND I WROTE MY FIRST ENTRY LAST WEEK ABOUT MY HUBBY, WELL LAST NIGHT HE GOT WORSE, COMPLAINING OF PAINS AT THE SIDE OF HIS HEAD, SO I PHONED THE EMERGENCY SERVICES, THEY GOT HIM INTO HOSPITAL, BUT HE REFUSED FOR THEM TO PUT A DRIP IN HIM, TO RE-HYDRATE HIM, THEY SAID THEY COULDN'T FORCE HIM TO HAVE THE TREATMENT, AND I TOLD THEM HE WAS CONFUSED ETC, BUT BECAUSE HE COULD REMEMBER THE DATE AND YR THEY SAID HE WASN'T CONFUSED!!I EXPLAINED HE HAS LUCID MOMENTS ETC, AND CONSIDERING THEY HAD ONLY HAD CONTACT WITH HIM FOR 10 MINS, HOW CAN THEY EVALUATE HIS MENTAL STATE OF MIND? WHEN I HAVE BEEN WITH HIM 15YRS, AND I KNOW HE'S BEEN ON THIS BENDER FOR 9/10 DAYS 24/7?? THEY SAID IF THEY JUST PUT A DRIP IN HIM, THEY COULD BE DONE FOR ASSULT! SO AN HOUR AFTER HE WENT INTO HOSPITAL HE WAS HOME AGAIN, THEY ADVISED HIM NOT TO STOP STRAIGHTAWAY, BUT TO CUT DOWN! OH, YEH, HOW CAN HE CUT DOWN WHEN HE ISN'T AWARE OF HOW MANY CANS HE IS DRINKING??! CONSEQUENTLY, HE CAME HOME, AND DRANK MORE THAN EVER!!
I HAVE HAD TO PHONE HIS WORK PLACE UP AGAIN, AND TELL THEM HE HAD A CHOCKING FIT SO HE WON'T BE IN UNTIL THURSDAY, I JUST DON'T WANT HIM LOSING HIS JOB, ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET HIM INTO HOSPITAL AND KEEPING HIM THERE?? CHEERS, JANEY.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Janey....glad that you are here,

Unfortunately Janey he has to decide that he wants help. Niether you or anyone else can force him, trick him, manipulate, or bribe him into getting help. He needs to face the consequences of his actions.....even loosing his job.

The good news is you CAN decided what it is that you are willing to live with. Check out the Power posts and the 12 steps. Admitting we are powerless is the 1st step and it IS a BIG one. Great big HUGS to you. I know it hurts to watch someone you love detroy themselves, but it doesn't have to detroy you.
Keep posting!!

Blessings,
Constant
Old 11-03-2003, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

I was at my wits end with my wife's drinking. My step daughter, who knew of her mother's drinking, works at a hospital and someone told her there to call 911 and tell them that she threatened to kill herself and they would come and commit her to a hospital. I told my wife if she wasn't going to get help that's what I was going to do and I would have. I don't know if that's what did it, but she went and got help. This may be bad advise, so please listen to some of the other people in this forum, but like I said I was at my wits end and I was getting desperate. Lots of luck to ya.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Janey, Welcome to SR,
May you consider yourself hugged....
Constant is right in telling you the things you can not do....It sucks I know...
But the good news is there are support groups you can go to that understand as few others can....one of them is Al-Anon. Without which many of us would not be here on SR...
Al-Anon groups not only understand but can give you some tools that will help you find a better more serene way of living...whether the drinker is still drinking or not.

Please come back whenever you'd like and keep posting.

Love and prayers,