A Rosie update

Old 12-19-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Rosie update

How daft are dogs really?
It's been snowing here, we've had more than the usual for us and I love it. The country grinds to a halt but I just pull my wellies on and carry on

I took Rosie out for our usual walk on Saturday afternoon, this time in about six inches of snow, she loved it (and so did I!)

We live almost on the canal bank, this winter it's been frozen solid and the ducks have moved on a few hundred yards for now, they usually live near the bridge right next to my house and quack all night, I've got used to it now and I miss them when they move on for a while.

So I took Rosie for our normal walk along the canal bank, planning to carry on over the farm fields and back up the road to our house, about an hours walk in all.

Rosie had other plans though, she's been interested in the canal for a while now, but she's a good doggy and always comes whn I call her away.
Not this time though!
She must have realised that the water was a bit different to how it usually is. It was covered in slushy ice, but not frozen through.
She just jumped on it!
Because it was just snow floating on the cold water she went right through it! Last week it was frozen solid, it might have held her weight.

I never even thought about it till later but I lay flat out in six inches of snow, grabbed her collar and yanked her about 2 feet up out of the water! I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't have reached her.

She had to pick the place where the water is way lower than the bank!

I've done something stupid to my shoulder, but I didn't feel it at the time. I was just so happy to have my poochie back on dry land.
I gave her an extra dinner with hot gravy and let her lounge on the sofa once she'd dried off.

The kids all fussed her, my parents have fussed her.

Please, just for five minutes indulge me, could someone please fuss me?
I've had a sleepless night thinking what could have happened if I'd slipped or something, it worked out all Ok, but ya know.....
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lucy,

You are my hero!
I would have done the same thing for my dog.
To hell with the pain the adrenalin keeps you going.
Yup, you are gonna feel it, but dammit you saved that dogs life.
As daft as they are.
Yes, I cant fuss over you here, but get a heating pad, warm blanket, and some cocoa.
I am so happy the dog is okay because you were there to not think and just do.

Beth
Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

This is me fussing you! :ghug3
Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening

WOW! Your are a heroine! Good job. 'Course, we already knew that.

As far as dwelling on what could of happened, it didn't! Here's a perfect opportunity to practice "staying in the moment". I think there's a reptilian part of our brain that subconsciously keeps us from crossing an invisible line when faced with an emergency.

If you wouldn't have been able to reach him, he'd have managed to get the hell out on his own I bet. You, on the other hand, weighted down with a winter coat, who knows?

Next time you take him around the canal we'll all get to see how intelligent he is! Kind of like a K-9 I.Q. test.

If I'd managed to perform so heroically, I'd sure treat myself to something special. A day off work spent at the spa for "the works" comes to mind. Or in my case that new pair of boots I been needing for a year.

Some times, if all else fails, we have to "fuss" ourselves. Get to "fussin'" and let us know what you decide to do for yourself, O.K.?

IMHO you definitely deserve some kind of honor.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I get the chance I'll get photos of where the silly dog jumped in, she would never have got herself out! Not even on a sunny summer day. A few yards down the canal maybe she would have with a bit of a struggle.

I was dreaming last night about me being in the canal in the icy water, I didn't get much sleep, but I don't regret doing what I did, even if my shoulder is still hurting lol I just keep seeing Rosies eyes looking up at me as she was doing her furious doggy paddle!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

IMHO
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree: I'm glad Rosie is OK. And now back to fussing over you:

Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mercy me, my heart came up in my throat reading that!

Lots of fussing and hugs for you!

:ghug3