Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT RANT - didn't pass an IT certification exam... feeling beat down

OT RANT - didn't pass an IT certification exam... feeling beat down

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thumbs down OT RANT - didn't pass an IT certification exam... feeling beat down

Thanks for letting me vent here.
I studied a LOT from the official book.
And most of the questions were topics that were not even covered in the book!!
I now have spent A LOT of money...
AND what is worse, I lost my basic exam so now I have to study for that one THEN repeat the one I tried today.
Now I feel very dumb and stupid and frustrated. ARGH.
Thanks for letting me RANT..
Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Which certification? There are plenty of free sources on the web that prep you for the tests.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The worse is the parade of coworkers asking how it went...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Of course I also use my self trap as "others" including XABF have passed this and other 3 exams in like a MONTH.. but that is because they use software and CHEAT....

Anyway this is a good chance to avoid comparing myself with anyone else.

sturtel, the exam is CCNP Switching from Cisco... and yes, now I learned to use many different sources to study... and of course many require pay!! only the exam was around 300 USD....

Thanks jds... your comment helped me feel better.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Now the best part is that I had originally paid to do the exam a month ago and I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT IT .... and of course the testing place won't remind you so... I have spent 600 USD already

I ordered my favorite salad, perhaps that calms me down.
Instead of dwelling I will schedule my basic exam once again. Turn the frustration into action.

Thanks for your kind words !!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Do it , jds!! you'll feel better afterwards.

I contacted the testing center and asked about the cost for the CCNA. Next on the agenda: deposit the sum on the bank and see if I already got the book for that version. If not, buy it online.

I am printing the CCNA's topics. Oh well. Its good for me to remember those topics anyway, as you said.

Next is scheduling a date for it..
Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I notified my boss.. it seems the world is not falling... it seems I am still employed...

Thanks for letting me rant about this here. I feel better just placing it out there.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((((TC)))) - you are still a very smart, capable, employed, compassionate, loving woman. It's not YOUR fault the book didn't cover what's on the test.

I barely scraped through A&P (anatomy & physiology) in preparation for nursing school. Lucky me, the school I'm enrolled in, now, doesn't accept science transfers older than 5 years...guess what I'm taking AGAIN, next quarter (and the next - 2 part course). I started this quarter, had to remember what form of studying works best for me, since I've been out of school (this time) 18 years.

Sometimes we have to fail a test, just to figure out what the darned thing is about! I actually studied for my nursing exams by taking a LOT of practice tests....do they have anything like that for what you're taking? Yeah, I had to buy some books (but they would have numerous practice tests) but it did really help...just something you may want to check out.

Oh, and for people who cheat? The karma police WILL get them in the end

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi Impurrfect!! glad to "talk" to you...
Yes we have practice tests and I am in the process of buying one piece of SW for that... 99 USD... ok I am going BROKE.. !!!
It is difficult to study after some time has passed but if you are geek enough it gets interesting...

Something else that adds to it is the time crunch... you have to answer right, and FAST! ugh!

When are you doing your test?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oh, sweetie, you will get honestly. None of them can say that.

If anyone asks, defer the topic to your wonderful vacation...which I have been dying to hear about????!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

So now I realize other coworkers that knew less than I are earning WAY more than I do and am entering a crisis. Glad I got therapy tomorrow.

I feel I have lost so much time with losers instead on focusing on my career. And it all stems from feeling unworthy. Now excuse me while I go grab the cats and go home to cry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a really BAD day.. !!!!! oh great, now XABF comes to visit his best friend next to me...

Time to leave. Thanks all.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((TC)) - nursing was a lifetime ago...lost that career to my addiction after 12 years.

I'm back in school for Health Information Technology, and took one really easy course, and one on Office Suite 2010 to ease back into school. I made A's in both, but am trying to tell myself not to expect that EVERY quarter.

Glad you have therapy tomorrow, and your furkids to snuggle with tonight BTW, do you know they actually added the word "furkids" to a dictionary? Read about that the other day!

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I took a boatload of those certification tests when I decided that I was done with nursing and on with my IT career. I hated the networking ones....... vlan's and argh horrible. I am only interested in the creative side of things like photoshop, coding with xhtml. I seriously am sad you have to deal with this but people flunk them all the time seriously so just retake it and tomorrow's a better day. Hugs.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

TC, I flunked English Com II in college...all while I was the editor of the school newspaper and love to write. I just had some stresses outside going on and I truly did not understand how to build the final paper that was wanted. That hadn't been covered in the course of instruction that I had so that I was able to know how to do it.

My daugher who got grade grades in college and is a very very logical person flunked alegebra. (the only math course that was ever easy for me..go figure)

lots of people re-take things. It happens all the time.
What isn't fair is being underpaid, certification or not?

I have seen exams where the books did not cover the material. If you had not had outside prior experience with them, I don't see how anyone could have passsed them.
I can think of three professional exams from my past that fit this category and the only way I passed was because I all ready knew it from the work that I had all ready done on the job.

I wish I could give you bunches of hugs!!! I am sorry that you are hurting.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Aww thanks a lot. After I left a coworker gave me a ride, we brought the cats to my new home then ate pizza. Right now I am cleaning up a little and seeing the cats slowly take over the whole place. Live, I need to put yet another OT thread with pics etc, thanks for reminding me, I hope you all have a good night. Thank you for your calming words.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

TC, I have been in the IT business for over 20 years. It pisses me off that the industry has come to this. That you have to pay companies to "certify" you on their products in order to get ahead. I have dealt with many "certified professionals" over the years who don't know crap about how to make things work in the real world. Experience is the only certification I need when I hire someone.

Unfortunately, this is not how it works anymore. The more certifications you have, the more valuable you are. And the companies that do the testing are making millions off employers who are too lazy to actually see what an employee has to offer, but would rather count the number of certificates they have.

Sorry I don't have any practical advice to offer you about this. I just felt the need to have my own little rant.

L
Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Lol LTD. Yes that's right. Then the best part, when it comes down to raises, the managers say certifications are not THAT important. That happened to a coworker recently

Anyway I bought one of the online testing environments and have decided to deposit the 200 USD this weekend. I may start studying this weekend....... sigh.

Thanks all for your kinds words today as I really needed them.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sending you hugs, TC. I know you'll succeed. Glad you and your cats are at your new place. Hope you have a good evening.