What Addicts Do

Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
What Addicts Do

This is posted as a sticky in the other friends & family group

What Addicts Do
This post has been reposted so many times that I thought I would sticky it here at the top. Jon posted this some time ago, in response to the many questions of "why" that were asked by those who love an addict. I thank Jon for sharing this so honestly and hope it will help others understand what addicts do.

Quote:
What Addicts Do

My name's Jon. I'm an addict. And this is what addicts do. You cannot nor will not change my behavior. You cannot make me treat you better, let alone with any respect. All I care about, all I think about, is my needs and how to go about fufilling them. You are a tool to me, something to use. When I say I love you I am lying through my teeth, because love is impossible for someone in active addiction. I wouldn't be using if I loved myself, and since I don't, I cannot love you.

My feelings are so pushed down and numbed by my drugs that I could be considered sociopathic. I have no empathy for you or anyone else. It doesn't faze me that I hurt you, leave you hungry, lie to you, cheat on you and steal from you.

My behavior cannot and will not change until i make a decison to stop using/drinking and then follow it up with a plan of action.

And until I make that decsion, I will hurt you again and again and again.

Stop being surprised.

I am an addict. And that's what addicts do.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This saying helps me all of the time. I found it a few months ago on the internet. I made a copy with my AH's name on it. Anytime I get sucked into his Vortex while I'm on the phone with him, I just look at the refridgerator and think to myself..."Its his disease talking" and I hang up!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And until I make that decision, I will hurt you again and again and again.

Stop being surprised.
I am an addict. And that's what addicts do.

Why did it take me so long to finally get this? (Thank goodness, though, that I "got it!" Thank you for the "re-reminder!"