Don't care to have another day like today...

Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't care to have another day like today...

I get a 'courtesy call' from my bank today letting me know the hospital's attorney issued a garnishment for the total sum of $9,000. I damned near fell off my chair, then tried really hard not to cry.

My bank account is zero. I cried after I got off the phone. I had to call Mom and see if Dad could pay rent/utilities till I get my next student loan disbursement.

I called the damned attorney's office, and of course he was busy, and could I leave a number? He never called back. What a surprise.

I hadn't cashed the $200 check yet that my folks sent for Christmas, so I called back down to the bank to see if they would even cash it for me, or if that would be taken away from me. Here's the kicker. The lady I talked to is married to the attorney for the hospital. I told her I had nothing to live off of right now, and she told me to cash whatever checks that I could (I had told her I was waiting on more student loans). Basically there is a freeze on my account, and anything I put in, the hospital gets.

I've got to call my health insurance company because I have no idea on God's green earth where I racked up $9,000 in medical expenses. I have a $1,000 deductible. I just paid off $700 in hospital bills from the last student loans. I get so many statements from my health insurance provider due to my chronic health issues that I can't keep track of all of it anymore.

My head is beyond a migraine right now. The attorney knows I'm in college, and that I'm still in the process of disability determination.

I'm just...basically in despair beyond description at this moment

At least I was able to get dog food with my Christmas money and fill up the car since I have two trips in two weeks to Wichita for disability appointments.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you're going thru all this crap right now. A lot of added stress you don't need. I pray you can get it sorted soon.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Oh no

I'm sorry DeVon!

Sending hugs and positive energy.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG! (((((((((((DeVon))))))))))))

That is insane!!!
Even if income is garnished I thought they could only take a percentage determined to allow you enough to live on.

All my thoughts are with you. I hope and pray there is some way for this to be resolved.

I have a monumental amount of medical bills too! I really didn't think they could legally do this!

I know that they cannot ethically do this to you!
I am just at a loss for words. I have never heard anything so outrageous!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't think of anything to say that doesn't sound useless. I'm so hoping for your sake there is some big mistake to be discovered, or some sort of holiday miracle waiting in the wings.

I hope your puppies surround you with unconditional luuuuuurve, tonight, more than usual, even.

Sending encouragement,

CLMI
Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know if this would solve your problems temporary but I'd get a new bank and start up. He had to have found out where you bank and your account to have a garnishment. And it is a percentage. So maybe stick 10 dollars a month in the old account and let them work on that ten a month and get another account in a new bank. One that the bank lady has no conflict of interest on. I think somebody dropped the big ball on you somewhere. I don't get this.

I got a statement from the rehab okay it's been like 2 years since I was there and I knew I had a 2500 dollar deductible and I've paid like 25 a month on it. All of a sudden they said I owed 8K. I was over there in the office and the treatment center was still trying to file things... from 2 years ago and finally finally after me having a serious beyatch fest in the office they refiled and got the right people in the insurance dept to take another look and now it's whittled down to 3500. Still is going to take me some time to pay off but the treatment center is happy as long as I pay some money a month. I hope to be able to pay more later as I get re-employed as a nurse. it's frustrating it's maddening and they always do this crap on a Friday before a weekend when you can't get ahold of anyone.
Hugs for you sweetie.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry
Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Move to Canada :-)
Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - that's absolutely absurd. I do know that some of the grocery stores and Walmart, around here, do cash checks.

I hope this gets straightened out, soon. If I could, I'd hop in my car, right this minute and come there and be someone's royal PIA (pain in the a$$) for you until it got fixed. I'm in that kind of mood. However, can't do that, so will say many, many prayers that this gets straightened out.

Love you!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. I hope you can get in touch with the attorney so they can explain how a $1000 deductible adds up to $9000. I also thought they could only take a percentage. You will need your student loan money to live on. Is there a legal aid place near you that may be able to help you out?

I'm s sorry you are going through this. I hate money some days. Maybe because it seems it never is mine. It always belongs to someone else.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That makes absolutely no sense. First of all, I thought this was true, too:
That is insane!!!
Even if income is garnished I thought they could only take a percentage determined to allow you enough to live on.
and secondly, most hospitals I'm aware of have enough "padding" that they're able to write off people who have little or no ability to pay. My coworker, a Mormon guy with 10 kids and a sole provider, got his entire hospital bill forgiven when they realize it would take him about 30 years to pay it off.

Get a lawyer. That's my honest advice. Lawyers need to deal with other lawyers. And I'm convinced they are not able to take you to the cleaners like this.

And that was my male, fix-it side talking.
My other side just wants to give you a big hug and fix you a big cup of tea and invite you to sit next to me on the couch with a big fuzzy blanket. Because that's one whopper of a big hit to take.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Omg. I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this. I don't have any words of advice; I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry.
Sending you hugs and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

DeVon,
I, too, have always heard that they are only allowed to take so much of your check (as when x-husbands check was threatened to be garnisheed).
I'd ask bank first, then call lawyer, and hospital.
I'd be a big pain in the a&&, for sure!
I sure hope you get this resolved. I am so sorry-I know this is just devastating.

(((((hugs))))
Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awakening

I don't think they can take all your money either. I hope you can enjoy this weekend, can't do anything till Monday any way.

Good luck straightening it all out.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like they are using "scare tactics" to frighten you into paying.
I don't think they can take all your funds either.
Monday I would try to call a Legal Aid office and get someone in your corner..
Good Luck~
Old 12-11-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How awful ..I hate the health care system here..the richest nation in the world treats people like this..disgusting..human rights,anyone?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Devon,

I am sorry you got this "courtesy call" from your bank.
First, I must get my angries out. !#@#@^&*%$# M EFFERS!
My mother used to say something to me that helped me when I was getting 700 dollars a month in disability for me and two children. I got one of those ridiculous calls too.
"Beth, they can't get blood from a turnip."
so, let them waste time and postage, they will not get what you don't have.
you have rights with your disability too, i find the timing curious.
talk to an attorney, but i found out on the internet, no one can touch my disability pay, no one.
The only way your disability can be garnished is for two things.
Over due child support.
Federal taxes owed.
That's it. No hospital bills, no overdue phone bills, no mistakes made by the hospital billing system.
You are good people Devon, keep doing the next right thing, and get an attorney, if they want to go that far.
LOL
I just thought of something, tell them you will call the press. hehehehehehehe
big bad hospital against a woman alone, trying to restart her life.

Okay, enough of that.
We are all on your side Devon. This is a big mistake, and it will get straightened out.
I am sending good thoughts your way.

Beth
Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DeVon,

How are you doing, today?

CLMI
Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

yes...come here...
Attached Images
File Type: gif
canada_s.gif (1.5 KB, 144 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sitting here with a basement that flooded while doing the laundry today.

We have one guy in town who does the roto-routing stuff. I can't get ahold of him.

I have the miserable cold from hell.

I've never felt such despair in my life except when my parents turned their back on me when I was pregnant with Amber.

I'm going to shower (not drain the tub) and I've got an AA meeting to chair tonight. I volunteered for Sundays this month.

I don't want to go. I want to curl up in a ball. I'll go anyway.