Don't care to have another day like today...

Old 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

oh, DeVon, I am so sorry. I have been worried about you.
I wish I could fix you up some hot tea with lots of sugar and give you hugs.
You are staying warm, aren't you?
No one would care at the meeting if you aren't fresh out of the shower.
Just please take care of yourself as the special lady you are.
I know that you will go to your meeting no matter what. I hope there is a huge blessing awaiting you there!
Tomorrow is Monday and I know that all of us are praying for miracles to turn this around for you.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

DeVon..I am thinking of you!! This too shall pass although I know that is little comfort. You are good people and I am hoping the universe has something truly great waiting for you.

Big hugs!

Lulu
Old 12-12-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm hoping things can only get better for you, from here. I hope you share your frustrations at the meeting... never know what might pop up to help...

CLMI
Old 12-12-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hugs, and may this be the lowest low point of your life with no more like it ever again!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. I hope everything works out ok. Hugs!
Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

To add insult to injury, I now have no heat. It's 20 degrees, and expected to drop to 6 tonight. I have a small space heater running, and did reach the guy who does those repairs. I didn't make it to the meeting-had to call my sponsor to chair for me. I'm just trying to keep me and and the zoo crew warm.

I've got to laugh, I've got to find humor in this somehow.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
To add insult to injury, I now have no heat. It's 20 degrees, and expected to drop to 6 tonight. I have a small space heater running, and did reach the guy who does those repairs. I didn't make it to the meeting-had to call my sponsor to chair for me. I'm just trying to keep me and and the zoo crew warm.

I've got to laugh, I've got to find humor in this somehow.
Aw, Hon, that is crap!
Be careful, and I guess be glad that the zoo crew has so much fur!
big hug- tomorrow has to be better- but not saying that- not jinxing anything.
wish i could help. hugs
chicory
Old 12-12-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Do you need to shut off the water supply, so your pipes don't freeze and burst, tonight?

Is the space heater a type that could inadvertantly produce carbon monoxide (anything that burns a fuel)?

Where's that dang easy button when you need it???

Staples® Easy Button™ | Staples®

Hang in there DeVon, maybe this is the worst night of your life. If so, things can only get better. We are here, cheering you on, sending our support!

CLMI
Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

((((DeVon))) - awww, dammit, I hate to hear about this last insult to injury. I hope you get the heat fixed, quickly, and the rest of it gets straightened out. I guess we could all come and help "convince" them they need to stop messing with our ((DeVon))?

Sending you big hugs, prayers, and warm thoughts,

Amy
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
Do you need to shut off the water supply, so your pipes don't freeze and burst, tonight?

Is the space heater a type that could inadvertantly produce carbon monoxide (anything that burns a fuel)?

Where's that dang easy button when you need it???

Staples® Easy Button™ | Staples®

Hang in there DeVon, maybe this is the worst night of your life. If so, things can only get better. We are here, cheering you on, sending our support!

CLMI
I do need a easy button, thanks!! He's over here working on the furnace now. My space heater is an electric Vornado, does a pretty good job for as small as it is.

Still no answer for the roto-router guy.

I managed to get quite a bit of the water up with the wet/dry vac, but will have to have Amber lug that up the steps for me.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hi-

i've learned a few things watching xABF dodge his debt. in a case like yours where the bank will take all the money deposited, he would merely stop using that account.

operate in cash. if you can't operate in cash only, then you could reroute any deposits into a friend or family members account or setup paypal account and use that. cancel all direct debits going out of your bank account, as the bank will take their money first and let those bounce, causing additional fees.

if possible, instead of having your deposits (like your student loan disbursement) go into a bank, request a check. then you can pay to the order of someone who has a bank and have them cash it for you. or, you can go to a check cashing place and pay the surcharge to get cash.

if you need to pay something, go to the post office and request a postal order and send that to pay bills you can't pay in cash.

don't use a bank anymore. keep your money in your house.

naive
Old 12-13-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Praying that God will move in this situation and resolve it. Hang in there, will continue to pray for you. Gina
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

((((DeVon)))) - just checking in on you, and hoping that you are, at least, warm and got hold of the roto-rooter guy?

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

What a dreadful experience! I hope you use all the support that is available from the membership. It's so difficult for us to ask for help, but miracles can happen when we do so please talk to others.

Regarding dealing with all this, I know it seems overwhelming so I suggest you take it "one day at a time". Keep the focus on today only, try not to project. (An ex-sponsor one said that "life only s*cks one day at a time too".

And, please keep us informed -- people here care about you and want to help if possible.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

How awful. I'm real sorry to hear this Devon. Why would they empty your bank account? Something sounds fishy. Are you sure you weren't robbed? I mean, $9,000 is a huge amount of money to just snatch out of someones bank account.

Do the calls for moving to Canada mean there are no money grabbing attorneys working for hospitals there?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Found this, hope it helps
Help from medical debt collectors

Kansas: Wage garnishment during an illness is illegal

If the patient has been unable to work for two or more weeks because of their own personal illness or an illness in their family, the debtors wages cannot be garnished until two months after recovery from the illness, so this will stop debt collectors while someone is still sick.
Of course now you don't have money for an attorney because the rat ******* took it all, but perhaps you can get one to help you if they know they'll be recouping your money.

Here's more :
http://www.backlinker.com/wage-garni...nt-kansas-laws

kansas law on payroll garnishments?

is there any way to stop a garnishment? my wife has one from a local hospital !! we cant aford this garnishment.. we are getting help from our local resourse center with grocerys , and then the local hospital garnished her wages for a hospital bill…we dont know what to do ? help ?

Kansas law on garnishments can be found at K.S.A. 60-701 et seq. A garnishment occurs after a judgment has been taken against you on a lawsuit. In the situation you described, the hospital probably either asked its law firm on retainer, (if they have one) or they hired a collections law firm to collect the debt.

For whateve reasons, had a judgment entered against you. (Either you did not respond to the lawsuit, or you responded but did not do so correctly and thus lost. The judgment will remain in place until it is either satisfied through the garnishment, through your bank account, or until it is eliminated in a bankruptcy.

Only a Kansas attorney can properly give you guidance on these types of situations. However, also remember: a garnishment for a debt such as this can not be for more than 25% of the disposable wages. This means wages after taxes and other mandatory deductions are withheld. There are also limits on income regarding garnishments. Generally, if you make more than the minimum wage, that portion of your income above the minimum wage can be garnished.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
How awful. I'm real sorry to hear this Devon. Why would they empty your bank account? Something sounds fishy. Are you sure you weren't robbed? I mean, $9,000 is a huge amount of money to just snatch out of someones bank account.

Do the calls for moving to Canada mean there are no money grabbing attorneys working for hospitals there?
To clarify, I didn't have even close to $9000 in the account. One could only wish. They took what little was in there.

I've got a call into legal aid, who is handling my disability case right now.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Glad to see you posting - that you made it through the cold night. Did you get the heater fixed?

I can remember many times the past few years you have posted fears and hardships, and I just want to encourage you that you have made it through them, and are still "college student extraordinaire."

Your postings have touched and taught many of us (starting with myself included), and we are now here to support you in your time of hardship.

Sending MORE encouragement,

:ghug3

CLMI
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlovermi View Post
Glad to see you posting - that you made it through the cold night. Did you get the heater fixed?

I can remember many times the past few years you have posted fears and hardships, and I just want to encourage you that you have made it through them, and are still "college student extraordinaire."

Your postings have touched and taught many of us (starting with myself included), and we are now here to support you in your time of hardship.

Sending MORE encouragement,

:ghug3

CLMI
Yes, the furnace was up and running the same night that it quit, thank God.

As for the college student thing, I will not confess how many classes I flunked this past semester.

My concentration and retention abilities were just not there.

I have a full load for spring in order to finish.

I desperately need the 6 weeks off between semesters.

I can pick up my student loan checks on Friday.

I'll put a little in the bank for the garnishment.

The rest will be hidden away to pay living expenses for the next 5 months.

I had an appointment with my therapist yesterday, and she told me to really concentrate on staying in the here and now. I'm all over the place, with lots of fear.

I think I may t least schedule a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney after the holidays, and keep working on staying in the moment.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - Don't worry about those classes. You've been working on TWO degrees, and I think, if we don't GIVE our brains a break, they will just TAKE one. You're still a hero and inspiration, in my book

Glad the heat got on the same night it went out, and that you have legal aid helping you out.

(((CLMI))) is right - you've helped US so much, we're all here cheering you on.

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy