Reading Codependant No More for the third time...

Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Reading Codependant No More for the third time...

Sheesh! I wear me out! LOL!

I felt myself getting a little obsessive and out-of-control again so Sunday morning I dug around the pile of books under my nightstand and found my copy again. I have to say that its looking a big dog-eared but still the same mirror as I remember.

The great thing was that I didn't actively relate to it the way I did the first time I read it. I found myself reading over the bullet points of behaviors and thinking "Wow. I remember when that behavior was a huge problem for me." Frustrating that I found that I was slipping back into my "caretaker" mode again. Had to check "yep" on most of those suckers. But hey...that's why I dug it out again, right?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

You are definitely not alone!! good for you for knowing to which book to resort to.

I was told codependency is like alcoholism, progressive if untreated, and chronic... so we will always have codie TENDENCIES and got to keep ourselves in check all the time.. ugh. Anyway I am right there with you.. sometimes only one bulletpoint is enough food for thought for me!!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((SKW))) - I actually bought the book YEARS ago, read it, underlined and highlighted it, etc., but still didn't "get it". I had to buy another copy, as I wore out the first one....sigh. I STILL didn't get it.

Today, thanks to my recovery from addiction and codependency, I'm actually looking forward to buying yet another copy (have no idea where the 2nd copy is) as I'm pretty sure I've made progress.

In my exprience, the codie recovery has been much more difficult than the addiction recovery, as I'm pretty convinced I turned to substances, in order to deal with the dysfunctional relationships in my life. I can abstain from crack...I can't abstain from people.

The good thing is, thanks to SR and all the great people here, I've learned some really good recovery tools. Yes, I still slip, every now and then with my codie behaviors, but I'm much quicker at catching it and doing what I need to do.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

You're not alone! I've read it at least three times and come away with something different each time and with a reflection on the progress I make too!