OT Sort of

Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

OT Sort of

Went to one of the Fed Ex stores here in town yesterday with 8 boxes for shipping to Cayman. Had all the CORRECT paperwork filled out, ie 'used household goods' etc and had a young clerk tell me, actually ARGUE with me, that they couldn't do that and ship to the Cayman Islands, only from businesses!

HP save me from STUPIDITY and LAZINESS!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Finally got the supervisor, who said "NO PROBLEM, looks all is in order", weighted them, told me how much and off I went.

I sure hope that 'supervisor' has a talk with the employee, as I do not want to go through that again next week with the next batch.

I am so tired of 'attitude' and lazy employees I COULD SCREAM!!!

I am very proud of myself though. I KEPT MY COOL. I didn't throw a HISSY FIT. I didn't RANT, RAVE or go OFF ON THE EMPLOYEE. However................................. (yep there is a 'but, lol) when I got out to my truck and got in I beat my hands on the steering wheel for several minutes and now the outside edge of both hands are VERY SORE, roflmao

I know, I really do know I have no control over the vicissitudes of life (curve balls) but damn it sure pizzed me off!!!! Certainly nothing to take a drink over today, ........................... but before recovery it would have been a REAL GOOD EXCUSE, lmao

Guess I am becoming one of those 'old crotchety senior citizens' that longs for the old days when employees actually gave a damn, and peeps were more polite.

Oh well.

Onward and upward.

I guess the point of this 'rant' is that NO I am not perfect yet, roflmao but thanks to the 12 step program of AA and Al-anon I can be a bit more civilized today, lol and still treat others as I would like to be treated.

Yep, still more room for growth. lmao

Love and hugs,
Old 12-04-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Laurie...when I read your post I identifed (in the worst way) just how quickly I can 'lose it' when dealing with people who act like that- be it on the phone, the web or in person.

Whew...I'm glad you shared this, especially during this time of the year because it's a good reality check for me. Maybe the next time I'm in that kind of situation (fingers crossed it won't) I will remember to snap out of it before I get too steamed!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have zero tolerance for lazy employees. They are a dime a dozen in NY. I usually walk away biting my tongue. Most of the time I talk to the manager too!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anyone else bang their head, or mutter nasty words under their breath, when they ring a business or govt dept, and get asked to select from menus and then press 1, 2, 3, 4 or darn 10 even? Even if I follow the instructions exactly, after being on hold for ages and listening to yuk music, with that cr*p message on how important my call is, sweetly spoken every few minutes......I always end up being transferred and wait yet again.

Went to a store some time back and could not get attention from yapping staff, so whistled very loudly, and then told the manager why I was NOT spending a lot of money in that store and was off to buy from his rival.

Am I a stroppy, grumpy old bat? Or is it that I was trained as a 14 yr old to serve customers asap, and staff don't seem to be trained at all in SERVICE.

Time for bed I think.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

My bestg friend is ten or so more years older than me.

When we get into an altercation thing in the checkout line...
I don't utter a sound ....

... she walks away.

She *knows* what is going to happen next.

I figure
they didn't get trained.

So ... if they're going to hold me up

... I'm gonna train 'em.

And I *DO*.

THEY...usually wind up getting the manager.

And hell, I'll train them, too.

I'm ALways very nice.
I'm ALWAYS jjpatient with them.

But if they are going to try and make ME suffer...
THEY... are going to get some on the job training.

It's the least I can do.

LOL!

And MERRRRRRRY Christmas to all!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

It's NOT my job, MAN!
Old 12-06-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my experience being on both sides of customer-service interactions in my time, however rude sullen and lazy an assistant is, the behaviour of a percentage of customers in every shift out-did that a million times.

The way I handled that as an assistant was to accept that people came to my till with a huge personal life that got in the way and their stressed, rude, arrogant, impatient, angry, abusive, sexually harrassing, leering, spaced out, lying, stealing, and once physically assaulting behaviour was about the life that they had brought into the store with them, not me. Most people were great or benign, but the general public contain some horribly behaved people and every shift without fail we encountered at least one of them.

I work with consultant surgeons who can't muster basic manners for quarter of a million a year, so I can let off the odd sales assistant who gives less than stellar service 100% of the time for 10K a year. I was less than stellar sometimes, and I know there are people on here who take incredible pride in their service industry jobs, and that is brilliant, but people have off days, it's not about me, it's not about general training and it's not about the youth of today.

I don't accept it, if it routinely happens, I don't shop there again, because it shows that the management processes are poor (a good retailer doesn't need complaints to know that it's assistants are being rude/surly etc) or don't care about service. Complaining at the point of service in my experience does not fundamentally change the service you receive; it embarrases the assistant and puts them on the defensive.

I only complain if it's a no choice situation; like the tax office, and then I do it at home in writing a couple of days later after I have calmed down and examined my motives and general state of being, a manager then has the choice to take it up with the assistant, fully cogniscent of their situation and general demeanour or let it go because they are generally fine.

I don't see it as very realistic to expect every service assistant to be a shining beacon of joy and politeness continuously.