Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

What are some REGIONAL SLANG-Words/Phrases that are common in your area?

What are some REGIONAL SLANG-Words/Phrases that are common in your area?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johndelko408 View Post
Snap, out here a cracker is someone of white decent. It's a derogatory term out here like peckerwood. I'm half white myself so I've been called cracker before, little do they know I'm half El Salvadorian and speak fluent Spanish.

what's peckerwood?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

lob and fling...that is too funny, Lucy!!!!

I broke up laughing when a Brit said they were going to have "bubble and squeak" for dinner. We just don't have the flair with foods that Y'all do!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
lob and fling...that is too funny, Lucy!!!!

I broke up laughing when a Brit said they were going to have "bubble and squeak" for dinner. We just don't have the flair with foods that Y'all do!
Bubble and Squeak is awesome! lol

I'm loving this thread, I just can't think of any more because it's all normal to me, it's just the way I talk!
You wouldn't even think I was speaking English if you heard me.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I watch Coronation Street, I love it.

Right now, I can only think of "Ta" (thank you)
and slapper, or a cow (less than nice woman)
oh yeah, and "cuppa"
as in you want a "cuppa"? cup of tea.

Beth
Old 12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes - "cuppa" was a word used in my home growing up. My mother was a tea drinker!

In Canada, we have a donut chain named Tim Horton's which is extremely popular - especially for their coffee. There's a "Timmy's" on every corner, it seems. Canadians refer to a cup of coffee as a "Timmy's". We also call a cup of coffee with double cream and double sugar a "double double".

We say hockey, not ice hockey. We say tea, not hot tea. We say garbage, not trash.

We say "hydro", not electricity (eg; My hydro bill was high this month)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Fun thread!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah a slapper is someone who puts it about.

Few more

Divvy - a stupid or not so bright person
Meff - Someone who dresses scruffily
Minty - dirty/unclean
Slummy - loose change (money)
Abar - about
Yewoh - (you what?)
Keep dixie - keep a look out
Sag off - stay off school without permission
Plazzy - Plastic
Bin lid - kid/child
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Phoenix for an awesome thread. I needed something fun to distract myself today.

Okay, I live in Australia...(Jadmack...I'm gonna need your help!). Gonna is one of them (going to).

The Uncertainty already listed "No Worries" and her explanation of it is correct. We also say "No Wuckers" which means the same thing.

We do say "get pissed" for getting drunk, "I'm going up the the local (pub) and I'm gonna get pissed!" Or "he/she was sooo pissed". We also say "He/she was off their face!" (that means really drunk/stoned/high etc). Or we say "He/she was off their nut".

My dad knows says some old English rhyming slang. It used to be popular here but not so anymore. Only the oldies (old people) say stuff (things) like this now. For example "elephants trunk" (meaning drunk). And "septic tank" (sorry guys....a term for a "yank") The shortened version of the term we use (depending on what generation we're talking about) for our lovely friends from the Southern US is a shortened version of septic tank which is "sepos". As in "He/she is a sepo". I think that was an endearing term used by our Aussie soldiers to their US friends during WWII.

We laugh everytime we here this word used in shows/movies from the US. You say "fanny" for your rear end. We say it for the front end of a woman if you know what I mean. You say "faucet", we say "Tap".

We don't say "diaper/s". We say "nappy/ies". We say "dummy" for a "pacifier".

A lovely colloquial term is "Shove it up your arse" (we don't say ass). That means we're not happy with what the person said/did and we respond with this, lol.

Sometimes we take lines out of ads and use them too. A popular one in the last few years is "Not happy Jan!" We say that when we're not happy/disappointed etc. It was taken from a Yellow Pages ad (business directory) and the boss' employee forgot to place their ad in the Yellow Pages by the cut off date. The employee runs out of the building with the boss screaming out of the window "Not happy Jan!".

Another line out of an ad is "Claytons". Claytons is a non-alcoholic beverage. In the ad, it said something like "Claytons. The drink you have when you're not having a drink". Now we use "Clayton's" for everything. Like "He's her Clayton's boyfriend". "Yes, I have a 'Claytons' husband/wife". "He's my Claytons brother". etc etc. Claytons acts as a substitute for anything and everything...

Out of Muriels Wedding (an Aussie movie), there's a line that says "You're terrible Muriel!". The X-Gen in our country says that a lot when someone's done something funny/wrong..

Everyone knows "G'day" (which means good day or hello). And "mate" (used for a friend/acquaintance.

We also say "ta" for thankyou. We say "mum" not "mom". We always say "cuppa". As in "would you like a cuppa?" Or "I feel like a cuppa". A cuppa can be a cup of tea/coffee etc. We also say "brew" for a "cuppa tea".

When we ask our friends "do you wanna cuppa love?" They'll answer "yep or yes please". Then we say "How do ya have it?" They answer "White with one" or "White with two" etc (white with one is milk with one sugar)...

"I'm goin to the pub for a few scooies" (I'm going to the pub for a few schooners of beer). I'm in NSW and I know other states call schooners by different names. In Victoria, they say "Pot" for a schooner.

We don't say "soda" or "pop". We say "soft drink". We say "zed", not "z". We say "barbie" for BBQ. We say "He/she has the *****". "He/she is pissed off". That means he/she is angry.

We say "hot chips" for "fries" and "chips" for "crisps".

Arvo..afternoon
Bloody hell, bloody oath, bloody lovely.............(bloody...very. Bloody accentuates everything)
You've got buckleys.............You've got no chance
You've got buckleys and none...............You've got no bloody chance
Crack a fat..............get an erection
Fair Dinkum, for real.................It's true
Dunny.................toilet
Going off!..................That party is going off! The waves are going off! (as in awesome...etc) or
He/she was going off..................They were getting angry, losing it
Losing the plot/lost the plot...............Losing/ lost their mind
That's heaps good..............That's really good
Kick the bucket.............to die
That's a piece of pi**!..................that's easy, no worries....
He/she lives out the back of Bourke....................they live very far away, in the bush (outback) somewhere.
He/she is a bludger....................they do nothing, they bludge (mooch I think you call it in the US)
He/she is a dole bludger.................they do nothing and get government hand-outs..'the dole'.
I'm bored ********...................I'm bored out of my mind
I'm gonna get some take-away.............Going to the bottlo/bottleshop/liqueur shop and buy some booze (alcohol) and take it home, to a party etc.
He's built like a brick shi* house....He's a big man.
Fella..............man
Sheila................woman
Tally, we also say "tight arse"...............or "short arms deep pockets" for someone who is very stingy...
Phoenix, if we said "coon" here, we'd get out heads bashed in. It's a derogatory word for our aboriginal folk (Kooris).
Budgie smugglers....................Speedos, those tight swimming cossies some men where to the beach. lol.
Shove it up your clacker........................up your arse
Coit.....................another term for the ring-hole

Dag. You're such a dag!......................A funny person, a larrikin.
Bring the esky!..................a rectangle thing we keep our lagers in to keep them cold
Rack off!..................**** off, f**k off.
Ugg boots (uggies)...................sheep skin boots that keep us warm in winter.
Flanno......................checked brushed cotton shirt that 'westies' wear but are sorta popular with everyone including surfies (surfers).
Westy.............someone who lives out west, in the bush, western suburbs, still living in the 80's with mullets, uggies and flannos. hillbillies and inbreds etc.
Bogan......................same thing but what the Victorians call westies...
That's as useful as **** on a bull...................That's useless
You've got to be kiddin' me!................You're bullshitting me, you're joking...
Thingo...................whatchamacallit.
They've gone troppo!..............they've lost their mind.

Okay, that's enough for now. Too funny.....
Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just thought of another line out of an Aussie movie that we use now. The movie was called "The Castle" and it's about a typical Aussie family. Anyway, they go on holidays to their favourite spot with overhead electrical powerlines etc. The father sits back and says "How's, the serenity".

So now, when us Aussies go somewhere somewhat serene or even if or (especially) if it's not, or to a picnic, barby, near some type of water hole, we sit back on our fold out chairs, holding a coldie (cold beer), look up at the sky and say "aah, the serenity..." or "How's the serenity"...
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

(((Babyblue)))
Bay area represent......awesome I'm down in the south bay but originally from the east bay. Hence the 408 in my user name.

(((LucyA)))

Peckerwood is a derogatory term for someone of white decent. The first time I ever heard it was in one of the Back to the Future movies, I think 2. It's the part where Michael J Fox is locked in the car trunk of the band playing the school dance and Biffs minions call the one band member a spook, then the rest of the guys get out of the car and say "who you calling spook, peckerwood."
Old 12-04-2010, 08:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
fumbling towards normalcy

Oh, this is fun since I've lived a lot of different places...

Atlanta:

fixin to=am getting ready to do something, like "fixin to get dinner" (getting ready to cook)

y'all=you all

sack=bag

washroom=bathroom

coke=any kind of soft drink. "I want a coke." "What kind?" "Diet, large, no ice."

bless her heart=usually a prelude to an insult

Midwest:

pop=coke, sprite, etc.

warsh=wash (I personally never said this)

asshat=idiot

DB=douchebag (jerk)

Chicago-style dog=hot dog with mustard, relish, onions, pickle, and a tomato

half-assed=not really trying

cluster="traffic was a cluster" nicer way than saying cluster ****

shut the front door=you're in awe that something like that could happen

suck it=**** off you idiot

a moran=moron

jerkstore=from Seinfeld. George Costanza said that he "went to the jerkstore and they ran out of YOU!" Means you're just a real jerk

Ireland=

"will I..."=said as a question, "will I set the table" instead of "should I set the table?"

safe home=get home without problems

on the ****=drunk

I've the tea wet=warm up the water for tea

please God=an add on to many a sentence, "and he'll graduate, please God, blah blah"

Boston:

wicked=cool

it's killer=cool
Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I've read a lot of stuff here that we say here in Scotland too - very interesting!
Let me see if I can spell a few from my home...

Scunnered - feeling fed up
Crabbit - grumpy
Haud yer wheesht - be quite please
Gonnie no' dae that? - please refrain from that course of action
How no? - Why not?
Yer a chancer, you - dear me, you seem to be a bit of a rapscallion
Gallus - over confident
Cludgie - the WC
Dinnae fash yersel - don't worry yourself about it
Pished - intoxicated
Pished as a fart - very intoxicated
Blootered - see pished
Steamin - see blootered
Bladdered - see steamin
Smashed - see bladdered
Wrecked - see smashed
Hammered - see wrecked
Schemie - tracksuit wearing youth from a poorer socio-economic background
Ned - see schemie
Bam - see ned
Blethering - chatting inconsequentially for some time
Going for a blether - meeting someone with the intent to have a long talk
Havering - talking nonsense.
Dreich - usually associated with misty, wet and cold weather of a particularly unpleasant nature.
Fuckwit - derogatory term for someone who isn't very bright.
You're doing my nut in - you are being very irritating, please stop.
Went mental - someone verbalising extreme annoyance and anger with the added possibility of violence.
Went spare - see went mental.
Keep the heid - please calm down.
Ma heid's mince - I'm feeling a bit confused.
Rammie - fight.
Skelp - slap
Hard man - someone tough, always ready for a rammie.
In the scud - naked
Aye - yes
Auld - old
Bairn - child
Wean - see bairn
Wee - small
Eejit - idiot
Numpty - see eejit
Dunderheid - see numpty
Sleekit - sly
Drystaine dyke - wall built with flat stones and no mortar
Neep - swede or turnip
Tattie - potato
Bonnie - pretty
Hen - woman
Bottle of ginger - bottle of soda/pop
Whits fur ye’ll no gin by ye - what's meant for you will not pass you by. A favoured saying by my grannie.
Hell mend ye - you will learn the hard way I'm afraid.
Pure dead brilliant - really very good.
Peelly wally - pale
Poke - paper bag (ie a poke of chips)
Chips - french fries
Crisps - chips
Whit - what
Tattiebogle - scarecrow
Aye right - sceptical affirmation, sometimes followed by 'that'll be the day'.

Floss, we also have 'pissed' for drunk, 'off their nut', nappies, dummies, mum, ta, cuppa, zed, bloody, kick the bucket, built like a brick shithouse, piece of **** and kiddin' me - though budgie smuggler is a new one and still has me smiling!

I could go on but I'll leave it there!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm from Leeds in the North of England .My Dad was Lancashire ,and my Mum Norfolk AH is Irish from Belfast.I will try and give a few for all these.
Lancashire
Taepot a stupid person
about as much use as a chocolate fireguard-pretty useless
well I'll go to our 'ouse -expression of surprise
whistlers-a potatoe and onion pasty because if you asked where the meat was you'd have to "whistle for it" in other words do without
away with the mixer-not quite right in the head
Norfolk
cushies-boiled sweets
are you ill a bed an wass up-are you very poorly literally ill when you're in bed and worse when you're up
Yorkshire
put wood in't hole -shut the door
growler -a pork pie
go twos up -share particularly a cigarette
she thinks she's all that and a bag of chips-thinks she's better than she is
have a bit too much off- be cheeky
Irish
craic-good time
press-cupboard
poke-an ice cream cornet
bold-cheeky
Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey Bookwrm, I would love to go to Scotland. I have Scottish ancestory. We were the Baxters' from Glasgow...I've looked up Baxter and apparently it means 'Royal Baker'. My dad said our family owned a brewery in Glasgow...of course we would!

I love the gaelic sounds. We also say fuckwit, you're doing my nut or head in, pissed as a fart, went mental, smashed. We don't say "Aye right", we say "yeah right' followed by "That'd be the day...."

How's it hangin'?.................How are you? How are things?
A sandwich short of a picnic.............nuts/crazy
ACDC.................Bi-sexual
********...............fuckwit

So many people in Australia pronounce the letter H as Haitch. It does my head in! I say Aitch, as does my whole family. My daughter went to school and argued with her English teacher about the correct pronunciation. Apparantly both ways are acceptable now. We researched it, and H pronounced as Haitch comes from an Irish dialect. And considering many of our convicts came from Ireland, that's probably why it's taken hold here....eeewwww
Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Fair crack of the whip, give us a break, Floss my old china, you snaffled a lot of my sayings in your post, leaving me on my Pat and up the creek without a paddle. But before I shoot through, down the frog and toad, round the Jack Horner to the rubbity dub, for a monkey's......I will look at a few real oldies of my grandparents time.

Fair crack of the whip, give us a break...........Give me my share/chance/go at.
Old china (plate).......mate, pal, friend, amigo.
snaffled, pinched......stole
On my Pat, (Pat Malone.....on my own
up the creek without a paddle......nowhere to go, also in a sticky situation.
Up sh*t creek, in the sh*t.....in a real nasty and sticky situation.

I shoot through, toddle off down the frog and toad, round the Jack Horner to the rubbity dub, for a monkey's...... translates into.....before I go, walk down the road, round the corner to the pub (hotel/bar), for a glass of beer.

The Bush......in the country
Back of Bourke, back of beyond......way, way out in the county
Beyond the Black stump.......even further out.
The never never.........so far out in the bush, you are almost alone.

The trouble and strife......the wife.
Be the cockatoo.......keep on watch (usually for cops when illegal betting was on)

A mouth like a Murray Cod.....huge fish with huge mouth found in the Murray River....meaning the person was a gossip, blabbermouth.

Flat out like a lizard drinking......drunk,
Give someone the boot..... to get rid of them, kick them out.
Open the boot.....open the trunk of a car.
The bonnet......the car hood, covering the motor.
Bull bar......Heavy grill at the front of the car to stop the car being damaged there.

The first time I used this comment to a "tin tank", eg Yank (American), his face was a scream, as he pictured a bovine drinking alcohol in a hotel bar. Was so relieved when I showed him a bull bar on my car.

Don't come the raw prawn with me......don't treat me as green or stupid.
Get a grip.....control yourself.
Port.....in Queensland is used instead of suitcase, threw me at first.
Dunny, loo.......toilet.

Take a long hike down a short track.......go away and stay away.
As much use as **** on a wooden bull.......pretty darn useless.
Mate.......someone who will stand beside you thru thick and thin.
He/she is a dingo.......they are real low down and untrustworthy.

He couldn't work in an iron lung, with a dose of Castor Oil up his a*se......very lazy.

Must sit down and think properly, BEFORE reading your posts, as tears and laughing do not help concentration.

Thanks Floss, I loved your post.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey Jadmack, Sorry to leave you up sh*t creek without a paddle, but hey, you came up with some real winners!!! Ha ha...I'm loving your post too. Can't stop laughing. So funny all the sayings we have here. And yay, you gave us some more rhyming slang! I hadn't heard of the tin tank, only the septic tank...love it! I haven't heard of the port for a suitcase either. I love "don't come the raw prawn with me".

I remembered another one..."I don't give a rat's arse!" meaning I don't care, I don't give a sh*t.

How about "He/she's got a head like a robber's dog". And "He/she's got a head like the north end of a south bound bus". Or "a head like a twisted sandshoe". Or "he/she's got a head like a smashed crab". And "he/she's as ugly as a hat full of arseholes". Or "He/she stinks like a thousand bastards". And "He/she's a prawn" meaning, nice body, shame about the face.

Dunno.....I don't know

And we also put o after names. Eg...Robo, stevo, jacko.

How about "he's a real ocker" meaning he's a typical aussie male.
"He/she's all over the place like a mad woman's breakfast"....
"he couldn't get a root in a brothel"
"he/she's a real arse licker, brown tongue"....as in grovelling up someone's arse in order to try and score favour with them.
"Pushing sh*t up hill"...as much chance of being able to.
"They're having a real barney next door"......the neighbours are fighting.
"Goon" or "chateau de cardboard".....Cask of wine
"Chateau de leg opener"....wine that gets the ladies drunk and frisky...
"mystery bag"..........snag (sausage)
"reggies" or "reg grundies"....undies (underpants)
the coathanger....Sydney Harbour Bridge....

This could go on and on....lol. Thanks Jadmack for your hilarious post....it's inspired me more....lol...

And how could we forget this one? "Fair dinkum?" Meaning, "Are you for real? Are you kidding me? Are you telling me the truth?". And sometimes when we hear something that seems unreal, we might just say "fair dinkum" and shake our heads from side to side. When I read some of what we say Down Under, I say "fair Dinkum" shaking my head and laughing.....

Phoenix, you may have created a monster!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Here we say" face like a bag of spanners ",or" face like a slapped arse"
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Southernisms: some of these are pretty antiquated, but I heard them from my grandparents
"fixin' to" is pronounced "fixinna"
calling young women by their first and second names: "Nancy Sue," "Clara 'Lizabeth," etc
Honey: what the waitresses call you
Sirp: syrup, pronounced as one syllable, as in: "Honey, you want some sirp with those pancakes?"
Greens: collard greens
Soft drinks: what we used to call carbonated beverages, I think it's been replaced by 'soda' these days. But not 'pop.' Pop is your father or grandfather.
Meemaw: grandmother
Papaw: grandfather
the john: restroom
the pokey: jail
hit the hay: go to bed

Others:
clam up, put a sock in it: be quiet
sh*t on a shingle: cream chipped beef on toast
dipwad, dips**t: stupid person

Epithets made up by my group in Madrid because we didn't know any Spanish curses:
Cacahuates
Cabeza Potate

I had an Australian fellow try to ask me for something, when I had my first job in a fast food restaurant when I was 17. He came up and asked me for some "auta." I looked puzzled, I guess. "Auta," he repeated. "Ya know, aitch-two-oh."
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So hungry, I could eat a farmer's arse through a hedge!
A head like a sieve=forgetful.
A few scoops=pints.
Pram=babybuggy.
Keep in by the wall and mind the buses!=take care going...
Keep back, let the dog see the rabbit!=get out of the way.
Were you born in a field/hospital with swinging doors?=close the door.
This is a good brain exercise!
Very Gaelic! Awmidawn/ownshuck (Phonics) male/female idiot. say quickly!
Tis=it is.
Buzz off=go away.
Feck off=milder than F%^K off.
Acting the maggot= acting the clown.
Chin-wag=chat/gossip.
Loopers=nuts.
Fracas/belting match=fight.
Throw a few shapes=dance.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

How's she cuttin'? How are you?
Smashing job on soft ground! ???? some farmer ref to works well.
Like a bag of cats=cross/angry.