Tis the season to be jolly...not!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tis the season to be jolly...not!

So, the 22-year-old and I are no longer speaking.

I blew a fuse today.

Long story short, one of her cats still with me, who has had an issue with marking in the house, ruined my flat screen monitor.

One trip to Wichita and back, a couple hundred bucks lighter, and I'm back in business. This semester ends December 6th, and I had to get another monitor today.

I texted her earlier that this was the final straw, either she come and get him (he needs a vet check to make sure it isn't something medical-I suspect it's due to a huge tomcat we have in the neighborhood), or he was going to Wichita with me, and I was going to take him to the humane society.

Her youngest dog ripped a huge hole in my zebra comforter, and ripped my ottoman open. That dog is no longer allowed in my house, period.

I've been more than generous in continuing to have 4 of her cats with me so that Oreo could be the only cat at her house. He has gone from critical condition in a 24 hour animal hospital to being happy, gaining weight, and even playing with cat toys at her place.

She came and picked the cat up and said thanks for ruining the holiday season. I won't digress into the texts I got prior to her picking him up. It's just like having a conversation with an active alcoholic-completely circular.

She also made it clear she will not reimburse me for the monitor.

Another expensive lesson for me, but at least I won't have to worry about a cat spraying in my house anymore.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I am sorry
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Arg!! No one needs added stress at this time of year. She's pitching a fit just like my 11yo did this morning. I get retribution though and blocked computer access.

Here is totally ridiculous reindeer to put a smile on your face. He looks scared stiff. He's probably worried the no account cat will get dropped of at his house next.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Arg!! No one needs added stress at this time of year. She's pitching a fit just like my 11yo did this morning. I get retribution though and blocked computer access.

Here is totally ridiculous reindeer to put a smile on your face. He looks scared stiff. He's probably worried the no account cat will get dropped of at his house next.

Love that ridiculous reindeer!

Sometimes I forget that she doesn't have to be (and isn't) grateful for all the care I put into her cats that I have here, never mind the 2 ferrets now that she says she has no room for at her place. Oh well, the ferrets do keep me laughing. Lucian literally pours out of the hammock like a spill in aisle 9 at the grocery store, and then falls onto the cage floor in an elongated lump, looking at me like, "How cool was that trick?"

I must remind myself that life could be far worse, and at least my new monitor is safe now, eh?!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hugs, Freedom. I'm sorry for the argument with your daughter. And your new ottoman and the comforter and monitor. I hope that if it is a medical condition with the cat the vet can find out what's going on. Maybe he was just upset that Oreo got to go home and he didn't.

Deep breath and enjoy your new monitor.

Ferrets are a riot; they have the silliest, most mischevious personalities. Sometimes, though, it's not so much fun if they've hidden your car keys and you're running late. Lucian sounds hilarious.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
Hugs, Freedom. I'm sorry for the argument with your daughter. And your new ottoman and the comforter and monitor. I hope that if it is a medical condition with the cat the vet can find out what's going on. Maybe he was just upset that Oreo got to go home and he didn't.

Deep breath and enjoy your new monitor.

Ferrets are a riot; they have the silliest, most mischevious personalities. Sometimes, though, it's not so much fun if they've hidden your car keys and you're running late. Lucian sounds hilarious.
It is a tad distracting sometimes while I'm doing homework, and they've got Wrestlemania XX going on in the background!

My female was small. Lucian and Rikki are only 6 months old, and easily twice the size she was. Those stinky boys need a bath too, but that will have to wait till this semester is done.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Had my phone and comp offline as outside lines were under water,....what a surprise, so couldn't ring mum till short time ago. She had her dog go into a real attack and start dirtying all round the place, and Vet suggested that it was time to say goodbye.

So mum has lost her mate of 11 years, and obviously it hit her hard during last night as she fell beside her bed, hitting her head and hurting her knee. Dr has been, and she is ok now, but has a bump on her head and a nice black eye, plus sore knee.

When my blood unfroze, I thought " Why didn't this happen when I was there, hey?"

She accepts that she really lost her pal, 2 years ago when it changed personality completely and acted like it had Alzhiemers ever since, so mum is able to be happy about it being in doggie heaven. She also has decided not to have another dog.

Now her cat won't leave her side for one second, as she thinks the dog is away because mum is going somewhere. It could get interesting when cat gets to missing her doggie mate, as they have been like twins for 8 years.

I can imagine your great joy, at your damaged monitor etc, and having to replace these.....then to be abused when you had done her nothing but favours....Grrrrr!!!

I guess if she asked you to take care of anything else, you won't be leaping at that soon?

Will keep you in my prayers still.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If the cat had only told you he was going to p**s the place up if he was made to stay there too long, then you would have at least put a time limit on his welcome. Nasty little bugger.

I guess when all the drama boils down to the bones the answer in the first place should have been 'No.' I'm learning and relearning that darn lesson the hard way myself. Gory, what a hard row to hoe. I can't see myself being a grinch and turning down every chance to help a person or pet in need, but it seems when I do extend a hand, I take the chance of it all going t*ts up.

I'm soo sorry you are dealing with this. Nothing I hate more than cat wee. Makes me crazy! And to have your daughter turn it all back on you, is just foul icing on the cake.

Hope you find some quiet to get your semester done with. The holiday spirit will come back to you before too long, I have faith.

Alice
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
I can't see myself being a grinch and turning down every chance to help a person or pet in need, but it seems when I do extend a hand, I take the chance of it all going t*ts up.
Exactly! As the old saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.

She stopped by with cat food last night. I unlocked the front door and came back into the computer room because to be honest, I didn't even want to look at her.

She came in, sat the cat food down in the kitchen, and left without a word, which is fine with me.

It's been quiet today, which is the way I like it.

I have no doubt once this semester is over, I shall be in a more festive mood! I'm going to decorate the house after semester is over.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jad, I am so sorry about your mum's canine companion. Please give her my condolences.

I think a lot of Amber's hostility is due to the fact she 'thought' she was going to run a licensed daycare center. She filled out all the paperwork, and took it back to the county health department.

Well guess what? Since she doesn't have a high school diploma or a GED, she can't be licensed.

She's been dragging her feet on that for 4 years now, and it keeps coming back to bite her in the butt.

Oh well, education isn't her thig, she says.

It is my thing, and that's exactly why I am in college, even though I'm an antique!

Last edited by Freedom1990; 12-01-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: I kant spel lol
Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At what point do we stop being antiques and become heirlooms?

I hope to skip all that and go straight to treasured artifact Call the Smithsonian!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((((DeVon))) - I'm sorry things had to get ugly for Amber to take the cat back, but glad she did. As far as the school thing, my niece, Brit, is the same way....school is at the bottom of her list of priorities....FUN is at the top.

She's only 17, but she has some hard lessons to learn. Has mentioned to stepmom that she may go to cosmetology school...I think when she finds out she has to take anatomy, chemistry and other stuff (asked my hairdresser today), she may be in for quite a shock. She's been "home-schooling" for 3 grades....for 4 years...could have had it done in a year.

Meanwhile, I'm with you and ((Alice)) - I want to be a treasured artifcat, too!! I keep hoping that my success with school will rub off on Brit, but doesn't seem to have any affect.

They've got to learn their lessons the hard way....just like we did.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Several years ago I had two house cats that decided to turn their backs on litter box training... literally. They peed in Very Bad Places, like in the kitchen - yuck - and would not be re-trained. I'd had enough of the stink and mess and put them both in my big bathroom to live from then on. I was criticized by a family member that making them live in the bathroom was a mean thing to do. Yes, maybe so, but they were well cared for in that big bathroom and I no longer had to clean up cat pee before making my morning coffee.

I am currently caring for my college kid's cat. She would contribute to the expenses but has no income other than workstudy at school. What she does do is thank me often, out loud, for caring for my little grandkitty. I am lucky that grandkitty is well behaved and has never ruined any of my belongings.

STand your ground D. You're in the right here. Daughter is being selfish and juvenile... hopefully will come to some maturity someday... but not at your expense.

I want to be a 'treasured artifact too... my wrinkles are the patina of my age and experience...
Old 12-02-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

Need some help herding your house members?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

She brought the cat back yesterday. It got uglier than things already were.

I went to a meeting last night, and then went over to my sponsor's house for awhile.

I'm still so angry I can't even see straight.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - I'm sorry, sweetie.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-02-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The cat's back!?? Ugh!

I can only imagine she dropped the cat back off at your house while you were out.

I'm so sorry things have escalated.

Seems she's taken door #2 and the road to Wichita for the cat, huh?

How can we support you in this? You'll get through this, the semester is almost over, you can do this cat or no cat.

((((Dev))))

Alice
Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am really sorry, DeVon!
It hurts a momma's heart.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
The cat's back!?? Ugh!

I can only imagine she dropped the cat back off at your house while you were out.

I'm so sorry things have escalated.

Seems she's taken door #2 and the road to Wichita for the cat, huh?

How can we support you in this? You'll get through this, the semester is almost over, you can do this cat or no cat.

((((Dev))))

Alice
Actually I was home and caught off guard. I just stepped outside to put food in a bowl for the tomcat, and she pulled up, left her truck running, brought the cat carrier inside, told me that Oreo is stressed to the max (which I do care about his health), and that Riley wouldn't use the litterbox over there, and out the door she went as I was yelling at her.

I can't bring myself to take him to the humane society either. He's been here since he was 4 months old, and he's 8 now.

I'll schedule a vet appt to have him tested for a possible UTI, and then figure out where I go from there.

When I went down to get my nails done, Amber was at the salon too. She wouldn't look at me or acknowledge me. That hurts.

Right now I've got to devote every spare minute to finishing my classes.

I'll just shut the door to the computer room at night so I don't end up with another ruined monitor.

So, it's schedule the vet appt and then finish up classes. That's as far as my mind can plan at this point.

I'm also moving her motorcycle out of my garage today. If she doesn't want it sitting outside, she can come and get it. I've asked several times, including texting her this morning, to please get her bike moved. I've run out of patience.

I just feel so lonely and unloved right now when it comes to Amber.