Wonder why it is so

Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wonder why it is so

We have just had what is called "Schoolies week" here in Aussie, where thousands of kids who have finished school, hi tail it to overpriced resort places, stock up with booze and make wrecks of themselves......often with parental help, in the names of celebration and congratulations.

There are 300 police taken away from their normal duties, to stop these kids getting into real strife, which means taxes wasted on babysitting them while the parents say it is a child's right of passage. The police have taken enormous amounts of booze from vehicles and apartments that some kind dad and mum have bought for their UNDER-AGED kid.
I honestly wonder at the IQ's of some parents let alone their kids.

I finished school on Friday, began work on Monday.....putting my school clothes and books packed up, and helping mum in finishing my new work clothes was my right of passage.

Now comes the "FUNNY BIT"

Politicians, etc ponder why we have youth binge drinking???

Could it possibly be because seeing all these adults, turning inside out to put on attractions, accomodation and provide whatever police protection for these young kids, and having parental approval and even help to binge the week away during schoolies, the youth assume it is ok to wipe yourself out.

Am I really ready for the ga ga home, or does what I say make sense?

Why let or encourage kids to become drunk, drugged and out of control for a week as a "reward", given because they did what actually benefits them.....they got educated at some great expense to others.

Of course the rental agencies, apartment lessors, pubs, clubs etc think it is all fine and ok, and for them it is a wonderful goldmine, but for others it could become the start of an alcoholic nightmare.

I really do shudder every time I hear some parent say how they "trust" little Ann or Bobby, because they are good kids and have been in no trouble. This is not a sleepover at a friend's house, and trouble will come looking for them if they are naive, or they find trouble if they are not.

Instead of swimming lessons in a pool, let them take these kids out to sea and chuck them overboard.....where they will either sink or learn fast to swim. Actually it may be kinder to a number of these kids.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here in the states, this is called "Spring Break", of course I realize it is spring down there. Spring break is a college break and the general destination is the beach, even for kids that live/go to school 1,000 miles or more from the beach. It involves crazy partying with many gallons of alcohol but other drgs are of course involved too. Every year there are tons of DUIs, arrests and unfortunately, deaths during spring break.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Here in the states, this is called "Spring Break", of course I realize it is spring down there. Spring break is a college break and the general destination is the beach, even for kids that live/go to school 1,000 miles or more from the beach. It involves crazy partying with many gallons of alcohol but other drgs are of course involved too. Every year there are tons of DUIs, arrests and unfortunately, deaths during spring break.
Yep, spring break is big business here in the states. Back when I had cable tv, I remember MTV had shows that broadcast live from Florida on the beach during spring break.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Sick society.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, this appears to be a global problem and I just thought the US was messed up with the "spring break" tradition. Unfortunately there are a lot of "adults" with the maturity of a 14 year old. They want their kids to think they are "cool".

I have some friends who are in the midst of their second international adoption. You would not BELIEVE the hoops they are having to jump through. Can you imagine if we all had to jump through those same hoops in order to have children?

The sad thing is......some of those parents are going to learn the hard way. They will lose a child to drug or alcohol related death or they will experience the pain of alcoholism or addiction. Very sad. What really ticks me off though are the kids whose parents refuse to participate with that nonsense but the kid gets it from somebody elses knuckle-headed parents.

gentle hugs
Old 11-27-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

They want their kids to think they are "cool".
I noticed this too. I wonder where that comes from?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

There is a lot of controversy today in how parents should be discipling their children. Training children is a large task. Whether those little hands will some day lift up enough alcohol or drugs to become alcoholics or addicts, or contribute to mankind, depends largely on how well we do the job of training our children during the early years. So many parents are worried more about being "friends" to their children than to actually be the "parent". Parenting doesn't start at some magical age but it starts at conception! If a pregnant woman uses drugs or abuses alcohol during her trimesters it will have an effect on the unborn baby.

Love says, "I care too much to allow wrong conduct to go uncorrected"! Be sure to do what you said you would do. Otherwise, you lied to your children. Children want their parents to be courageous enough to control them. Disciplined children feel much better about themselves than undisciplined children do. Children who know how to behave correctly -- receive approval from friends and parents and teachers, and even strangers -- and there is an inner sense of well-being that comes to one who knows he has done the right thing. Parents who don't teach their children how to behave (and don't insist on obedience), and make it difficult for the child to develop a good self image. The child who senses that his parents are trying to be consistent in discipline -- will feel useful and will have a healthy self-esteem -- and will survive the growing years with a good attitude.

Unfortuntely, even if we as parents do everything "right" in raising our children, there is a time they will rebel and act out in an attempt to try to become independent. One of my close friends lost her only son through a drunk driving accident down at South Padre Island during Spring Break a couple years ago. This was a devastating life changing event for her.

Until society as a whole recognizes Spring Break as a dangerous demerit as a passageway into adulthood will there be any meaningful changes. It certainly isn't come from the money makers!

"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This kind of drinking is so embedded in so many cultures.

30 years ago, the mother of a classmate of mine hosted our after-graduation pary. It was a huge drunkfest. Apparently she didn't mind 17 and 18 year olds puking all over her home because it kept kids from drinking and driving.

Now the tradition in many places is for parents to raise money to host an all-night alcohol-free graduation party for the graduating class. Problem is, there are parents who will host drinking parties at their homes before kids get on the bus to go to the all-night party. They host the parties and drink with the kids. I didn't believe some of the stories until I saw pictures posted on Facebook.