Journaling as a coping mechanism

Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have diaries in storage that go back to 1991 and document leaving my marriage, meeting RABF and the nightmares of being involved with the monster her became when drunk, my finding SR and up to the present.

They have been a wonderful affirmation of progress, and explanation of why I did the walk out on both Late XAH and ABF. They also are striking examples in glorious technicolour, to me of why I will NEVER tolerate again, any of the sick behavior, abuse and stress of the past.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great post. I used to do tons of journaling, haven't done much for years and I'd like to get back into the habit.

Let me add, if there are other people living in the house with you, if you don't want them to read what you wrote, be sure you keep your journal UNDER LOCK AND KEY. I GUAR-AN-TEE you, they'll read it if you don't.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting! I have journaled since 1964, and it has been absolutely invaluable. Somehow I start an entry filled with emotion and the act of writing defuses the emotion and makes sense of it. My entries are little 800 word tempests that die down before I sign off.

I have stopped writing a lot lately, and have recently wondered why--I miss it. I think that modern technology--blogs, discussion board, etc., supplants my need to write, but it's not the best replacement. I can be far more honest confronting just myself.

Thanks again for reminding me to get back on track!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Rising from the Ashes

I have learned that journal writing has allowed me to have sharper clearer memories, but also records important details. I suffered short-term memory problems as a result of my massive stroke that I suffered in December. As a result I question myself if I remember events or incidents as they actually occurred. I, also, use it on a daily basis from one day to the next as a reminder of things I want to accomplish. Presently I am using my journaling as a means to directly reflect on my days events. It can be important because there may be some dispute about the actual details of an incident and this can be useful to clear up what actually happened. Written records are better than personal recollection. In fact in the court systems diaries and journals can be considered admissable in a court as evidence. Writing information down provides a clear means to express my emotions, vent on paper and examine my feelings.

My dry drunk husband and I are not getting along right now. As a matter of fact, I started a thread on our ongoing disagreement entitled "When Adult Children Become The Parents!" My journaling has provided me a daily record of what lead up to our disagreement. My DDH left Wednesday night to stay at a motel. He fell while taking a shower at the motel, and either broke his neck or has a pinched neck. I know there is a BIG difference between the two, but I don't have all the facts. He came back to our house on Thursday, and through my journaling I'm able to stay calm and focused on me.

Through my journaling I am able to answer the following five questions:

1. What happened?

2. What do I want to do?

3. What did I do today about it?

4. What stopped me from accomplishing my goal?

5. What am I going to do about it now?
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great Idea...will give it a try. It will be theraputic to physically write down you emotions and feelings, it allows you to "release" your thoughts. You can re read them again and again if you need to help remind yourself of how you felt and how others made you feel in certin situations.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

GREAT thread!

I have kept a diary since I was a kid.

granted -
my life has been such that
at the end of the year,
I had to BURN it,

but I kept them all the same.

I do today as well.

As an ex alcoholic,
I notice that i get mixed up
on when something happened.
even if I only write
the events of the day
I go back
and see that I was able to keep
at least
the daily discipline of writing it down.

It's helped me on MANY an occasion
to remember exactly what day what happened.

I draw in my journal as well
and under pain of death from my friends
never to burn another one.

the burning thing though -

it can be a VERY freeing thing -
to put flame to a terrible year.

I'm just saying -
it worked for me.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
Are we supposed to re read/keep the journals? I would like to trash them after I am done!
Thanks for the inspiration!
I think however you use a journal it is still a good coping mechanism. When I journal I like to do it on a computer...then I can change my words as many times as I want until to me it reads as true as possible. It becomes a way to filter my thoughts and organize them into something that seems solid to me. Then when I am done I often delete them. It is like a way for me to let go of the negative once I have sorted it through adequately. Sometimes I thinking keeping those thoughts might have served me in some way, but the act of clearing my head in a very direct way helps me a lot.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*I can't believe I just wrote that I'm an "ex-alcoholic" omg!!!!*

ex? how do I get to be an ex? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!! hahahahahahaaa!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hmmm just like if you quit smoking... ex-smoker... ex gambler.... I know what you mean it's maintaining a recovered state of being but it is nice just for a minute to think it's really EX--ITed the building and gone for good. I like thinking I'm an EX addict forever.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great thread! and worthy of a sticky!

Any thoughts on how to avoid journaling causing more pain? I find I'm often less at peace after writing. Maybe it's the perspective I am using at the time?

Anyone else feel this?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great thread! and worthy of a sticky!

Any thoughts on how to avoid journaling causing more pain? I find I'm often less at peace after writing. Maybe it's the perspective I am using at the time?

Anyone else feel this?