SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   First Success in Detaching: It's the little things (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/214031-first-success-detaching-its-little-things.html)

SteppingUp 11-23-2010 08:48 PM

First Success in Detaching: It's the little things

Just wanted to share this. It's small but seemed significant to me.

W had gone to Target and had forgotten her wallet. She called and asked if I could run it over to her. We don't live far but she was afraid that the pharmacy would be closed if she came home to get it. I said I would. She said she would be outside waiting.

As I was pulling into the parking lot she calls me in the car and the following conversation ensues:

W: Are you anywhere near?
Me: I'm just pulling into the parking lot.
W: It's been like 10 minutes! I could have gone back inside if I'd known you would be so long!
Me: uh, huh.
W: It's cold out here!
Me: silence.

I pulled up ad happily handed her her wallet.

I wasn't trying to be mean and I'm sure she was a little chilly but I usually would have taken the bait and apologized and felt stressed.

I didn't feel like playing the "You berate me (while I'm doing you a favor) and I quiver and apologize" game.

Live 11-23-2010 09:08 PM

I couldn't agree more!

Bernadette 11-23-2010 09:22 PM

Way to go Steppin up!
As the saying goes, even a journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the first step.

Did you enjoy the calm feeling you gave yourself? It's much better than the stress reaction right? You made a really good choice! Enjoy!

Peace-
B

coyote21 11-23-2010 09:31 PM

Very nice. Well done.

It won't be long before, when she begins to berate you while doing HER a favor, you simply turn the car around and go home. I'd pay good money to be a fly on the wall the first time that happens!

It feels good to step out of the dance doesn't it? I remember how great it felt to take back some of my power, standing a little taller. Good stuff.

THEY do not like it when we step out. Too bad!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

brokenheartfool 11-23-2010 09:33 PM

There's a wonderful saying that ah taught me. He is full of witticisms.
"Your poor planning is not my emergency".

Love it? :D

p.s. It's good on the job too, if only whispered under your breath.

SteppingUp 11-23-2010 10:33 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes! It was a very calm and wonderful feeling to step out of the dance. I didn't even have any residual after-anxiety. And yes, I do feel that I'm standing a little bit taller!

This way of being sure beats the pants off the way I used to handle these situations (which wasn't working for me at all).

It's like Emotional Judo. I just step aside and let her momentum pass me right by!

Thanks to Al-Anon for the tools and thanks to all of you for your support! This is truly an amazing place!

Phoenixthebird 11-23-2010 10:35 PM

It is easier to resist the bait than to struggle with the hook.

“Be yourself because everyone else is taken.” Oscar Wilde

*******************************:sons************** *****************

5 Sentences: This is what I want. This is what I need. This is what I feel. This is what I think. This is what I will do.

The only difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is in how you use them.

*******************************:dance4:*********** *****************

God loves me where I'm at, but He loves me too much to leave me there.

*******************************:Val004:*********** ******************

TakingCharge999 11-23-2010 11:01 PM

Oh that saying applies so muchhhhhhhhhhhh at my job...

Congrats SteppingUp ! That was WONDERFUL!!

TakingCharge999 11-23-2010 11:03 PM

Emotional judo, exactly... nice thread, thanks for the inspiration...

Jadmack25 11-24-2010 05:39 AM

Quote by Coyote (((It won't be long before, when she begins to berate you while doing HER a favor, you simply turn the car around and go home. I'd pay good money to be a fly on the wall the first time that happens!)))

Yeah, I think that would be a buzz as well.

How rude and arrogant of her, and what did she think you were coming in...an F118 or some other jet fighter?

naive 11-24-2010 09:37 AM

good job!

please continue to share these little victories, it helps all of us very much.

ItsmeAlice 11-24-2010 10:59 AM

Bravo!!!