Saying inappropriate things

Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When my kids were llittle I read the book "How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk" by Faber & Mazlisch.

That book changed my life. One reason it really helped me change so much was it not only pointed out examples of communication that is withering, stifling, and bad for kids - but it gave many, many easy examples of stuff I could say, and the better way to say it - especially during challenging moments of parenting. I use the techniques I learned in that book al the time - not just with my kids either!

Peace-
B
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That is a really good book. I read it years ago. Thanks for the reminder I'm going to put it on my list to read again.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If it could have a good effect on him, sure let him read the recognised descriptions of abusive behavior. If however, you feel he would only bluster as he did earlier when you called him on it, then why waste the effort?

If he persists, you may have to take the lead and let him know that for the childrens' and your own sakes, it stops or someone leaves.....him or his family, his choice.