Blogs

Notices

So what is everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am so thankful to be going to see my family- they are about 3 hours away!! I have a 2 year old nephew who I cannot wait to see!! We are a pretty laid back fam, so Turkey Day will be busy, but Fri, Sat and Sun should be nice and lazy!!!

I am so thankful for you all and I hope that you have a peaceful holiday!! I will be thinking about all of you and holding you in my heart!

craven
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craven For This Useful Post:
coyote21 (11-22-2010), TeM (11-23-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Holidays can be tough for some people. Years ago I heard an old AA say about Christmas to a newbie, "it's just another damned day".

What he meant was, don't make too much of it. Don't let it ruin your sobriety (or in our case serenity). Enjoy what you can but don't let your expectations wreck your head and make you do things that you will regret.

In his case, regret meant drink. In my case it means loose my serenity, get pissed, yell at someone, etc.

To answer your question, I am spending it with relatives that I like. I am going to eat obscenely delicious food and then take a nap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husbandofacoa For This Useful Post:
coyote21 (11-22-2010), TeM (11-23-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by TeM View Post
For the past ten years, we have spent Thanksgiving at my Mother-In-Law's Sister's house; they have a large family and everybody brings something.

This year, however, we can't make it because AW got drunk and broke her ankle. I refuse to wrestle her in and out of somebody else's house in a wheelchair (no ramp). Her mother and sister, who do not know about her drinking, are a little miffed at me... but they'll get over it.

So, for the first time ever, we're having Thanksgiving at home with Daughter and her boyfriend. It may turn out to be kind of nice. I've already bought a small Turkey breast and a small ham, and we'll be patching together our own version of a Thanksgiving Day meal with green bean casserole, au gratin potatoes and Mexican cornbread. Oh, and my daughter requested deviled eggs.
Good for you deciding what you will and will not put up with regarding hauling the aw around. And yes, they WILL get over it, like Catspj's says, whatever they think is none of your business!

You've got a great open mind, and I bet it will turn out to be kind of nice. The menu sounds beautiful.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
It's also good because the best cooks in our family are the alcoholics (my wife and my step father). With them sober the promise of incredible food is considerable!!!

Just to be safe I'm still going to bring some pies from Costco. Those pies are amazing. How do they do it!?!
My axw was an amazing cook, damn. I think I may have turned a blind eye to her (obvious to me NOW in retrospect) alcoholism just because she used to feed me up so good.

About the pies, I know huh? There's a semi local grocery chain with punkin' pies, FROM SCRATCH here. They were handing out samples the other day, pitching the "from scratch" part. I'm bringing one of those puppies to sis's house. Yum yum.

Coyote
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote21 For This Useful Post:
TeM (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rayn3dr0p View Post
I am so lucky when it comes to Thanksgiving (or any holiday for that matter). Even though I'm 31, we always have it at my parents' house, so I don't have to cook or clean.
i've been invited to so many houses but i always say no.... i just HAVE to cook turkey dinner!! and the best part is that all the company usually helps me clean up.....

and i'm funny, i like my cooking the most!!! everyone has there way of doing dinner..... my cousin doesn't know what "seasoning" is!!! i need a big salt shaker in front of me the whole time!!!

its nice to talk about something pleasent....
Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm still undecided. xah has the kids so this will be the first Thanksgiving without them. But I was thinking-well, we will just do Thanksgiving Friday since I have a furlough day (and I avoid the malls like the plague).

My sister asked me to go to my BIL's ex's house because she decided to do Thanksgiving this year now that she has grandchildren. Not that I don't think of my BIL and nephews as family--but I just want to be relaxed and I'm not sure I would be so relaxed in someone else's house.

So I'm thinkin' I might just rent a couple of movies and lay on the couch with my pooch and eat junk food (nachos sound good )

Coyote and Freedom--the house I moved into after I left xah--for undercounter lights in the kitchen they had those rope lights (the real estate agent thought they were cheesy). I love them! Give a nice soft glow. Been thinking about getting some of those for younger DS's room because he is afraid of the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoopNinja For This Useful Post:
wicked (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am going it alone this year (please no pity!!!) LOL. I just mentioned on another thread I am doing this because of my mom's death and the break up with xabf and also I want to use the day to be at peace and reflect on gratitude. I asked myself what I really needed to do for myself for Thanksgiving this year and be at peace in solitude was what I decided. Even with so many loses recently there is plently to be thankful for in my life. There will be no pity party. I feel sad which is ok and understable BUT one must make the most of things. Life has taught me that much this year with some very hard lessons.

I plan to eat my favorite foods, watch movies and snuggle under the electric blanket. I may not even get out of my jammies.

And yes this year I will deal with no drunk drama. I can't even tell you how much of a relief it is .... bet I will say the same thing at Yule and New Years too.

I hope everyone has a great holiday !!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lola1024 For This Useful Post:
coyote21 (11-23-2010), HoopNinja (11-24-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

what i've done for the past couple of decades, go to my parents house! Babyblue does NOT cook.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Going to work as usual. Might take a turkey sandwich with me.
I always enjoy Black Friday shopping, but I can't afford to buy anything this year due to all the money I lost during the break-up with the ex.

Does anyone know how to sell an engagement ring? brand new! worn less than a month.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by phineas View Post
Going to work as usual. Might take a turkey sandwich with me.
I always enjoy Black Friday shopping, but I can't afford to buy anything this year due to all the money I lost during the break-up with the ex.

Does anyone know how to sell an engagement ring? brand new! worn less than a month.
Craigs list, or a lot of smaller jewelry stores let you consign things, that's how I sold my big fat wedding band. (large fingers). Wish I'd have had hers to sell too.

Coyote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

for the first time in many years i'll be spending the day with my daughter and grandkids. There will be no drunken drama and we all look very forward to a peaceful day. I have alot to be grateful for this year and I plan to keep that first and foremost in my mind!
The Following User Says Thank You to missphit For This Useful Post:
HealingWillCome (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I want to wish all of you celebrating Thanksgiving, in whatever manner you wish....all the blessings you need for the year ahead, and that it will be an even better year with more for you to be grateful for.

May the only turkeys around you, be in the oven, on the table or on your plates.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jadmack25 For This Useful Post:
HealingWillCome (11-24-2010), HoopNinja (11-24-2010), wicked (11-24-2010)