SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   I just got a dozen roses from my EXABF (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/213707-i-just-got-dozen-roses-my-exabf.html)

goldengirl3 11-19-2010 07:57 AM

I just got a dozen roses from my EXABF

Ughhhh.

The card said, "You deserve everything in life."

Um yeah - that's nice but he needs to go to counseling and work on his drinking.

:(

suki44883 11-19-2010 07:58 AM

Oh brother. They really are something, aren't they? Geez.

Thumper 11-19-2010 08:10 AM

:headbange

Pelican 11-19-2010 08:24 AM

If they are a trigger for you, may I suggest donating them to hospice or a local nursing home?

Seren 11-19-2010 08:27 AM

Back in the day when I had a cheating STBXH (not an A), he sent me a dozen roses at work....I handed the out to my co-workers in small bundles!!!!

Made me feel better and I did not have his fake guilt offering staring me in the face all the time..... :-)

Hugs, HG

nodaybut2day 11-19-2010 08:44 AM

Sending a bunch of roses (writing an email, sending a text message) is easy. Recovery is hard.

goldengirl3 11-19-2010 08:51 AM

Ohhh. lol. It's drama day.

I emailed him and discretely asked - did you do this? He sort of joked back apparently not knowing what I was talking about. It turns out they are not from him. I was certain it was his hand writing.

The only person they could be from, are from this married guy I went out with last week, confronted him that I thought he was married and he admitted it and then told him that I needed my "space."

So now my ex is really upset. I apologized and told him he had every opportunity to work things out and he chose not to.

Now I feel like a drama-filled tard.

nodaybut2day 11-19-2010 09:00 AM

He *is* your EXABF, right? He can go suck a lemon.

(OR as someone on SR once wisely said: "He can get glad in the same pants he got mad in").

johndelko408 11-19-2010 09:04 AM

My sponsor really wants me to get back with my wife, he knows I still love her. The other day my partner (coworker) bought roses for his girlfriend, my sponsor asked me why I didn't get any for my wife (we're separated) and i told him "for what, it won't make any difference to her". As much as I still love her, as much as I still want to be with her, I sort of feel like giving up on ever rekindling our romance. I feel that when the pain of holding on to something supersedes the fear of letting go, you should probably let go. We have 2 adorable children together and other than my sobriety, there is nothing more that I want than to be a family again. I caused her immense pain during my drinking, and sometimes feel that she will never want to be with me. What do you ladies out there think? Did I do the right thing in not buying her flowers, or should have I gotten them to show her I still care? Don't be affraid to hit me hard with your thoughts and opinions.

suki44883 11-19-2010 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 (Post 2772599)
Ohhh. lol. It's drama day.

I emailed him and discretely asked - did you do this? He sort of joked back apparently not knowing what I was talking about. It turns out they are not from him. I was certain it was his hand writing.

The only person they could be from, are from this married guy I went out with last week, confronted him that I thought he was married and he admitted it and then told him that I needed my "space."

So now my ex is really upset. I apologized and told him he had every opportunity to work things out and he chose not to.

Now I feel like a drama-filled tard.

Yep. He can get glad in the same pants he got mad in. It's none of his business anyway. He is an EX.

I'd ask the married guy if he sent the flowers and if he did, I'd make sure he understood in no uncertain terms that I was unavailable to him and not to do that again. Then, I'd give the flowers away, just for emphasis.

Again...no wonder I'm not attached. :lmao

TakingCharge999 11-19-2010 09:14 AM

The best thing an active ADDICT can do for you is leave you alone. My most recent ex also sends me roses whenever he is guilty. The other day I saw he liked Playboy in Facebook.

I can be perfectly happy without any flowers. I can buy flowers for myself. Flowers are NOT a replacement for basic respect, dignity, education, sprituality, recovery and all I put on the table and deserve from the partner.

Hope you get rid of the flowers anyway and perhaps give someone else a smile. Also, do what suki says :)

CatsPajamas 11-19-2010 09:33 AM

I love flowers. I buy them for myself now. No strings attached, no drama. Just the beauty of fresh flowers.

goldengirl3 11-19-2010 09:43 AM

I'm just going to enjoy the free beautiful flowers! And consider the card message a message from a HP.

Will figure how to handle the married guy later....

Live 11-19-2010 09:58 AM

I am also in the habit of buying flowers for myself. So much easier and I always get exactly what I am feeling like enjoying!

To John, there is a point when the flowers become an insult. If she is wanting flowers from you, you will know it because it will be a celebration of enjoying and pleasing each other,...never as an apology.

goldengirl3 11-19-2010 10:07 AM

To John: flowers are nice. But I would give anything instead for my ex to be committed to being sober. Even if these came with a heartfelt apology and were actually from him, they would have meant nothing. The commitment to stay sober and work on things would have meant more to me than any gift I could get.

nodaybut2day 11-19-2010 11:01 AM

John: I agree with goldengirl...speak with your actions. Keep committed to your recovery. Be a present and loving father.

Cyranoak 11-19-2010 11:10 AM

John, it is completely out of line...

...for your sponsor to be taking a position of any kind on your wife, much less question your motives regarding doing, or not doing, anything for her. This flies in the face of sponsorship within a 12-Step Program. This is just plain wrong.

Please consider confronting him about this, and asking him what his agenda is.

Do what you want to do unless you believe it is against your own best interest. Don't do what you don't want to do unless you believe it is in your own best interest.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by johndelko408 (Post 2772615)
My sponsor really wants me to get back with my wife, he knows I still love her. The other day my partner (coworker) bought roses for his girlfriend, my sponsor asked me why I didn't get any for my wife (we're separated) and i told him "for what, it won't make any difference to her". As much as I still love her, as much as I still want to be with her, I sort of feel like giving up on ever rekindling our romance. I feel that when the pain of holding on to something supersedes the fear of letting go, you should probably let go. We have 2 adorable children together and other than my sobriety, there is nothing more that I want than to be a family again. I caused her immense pain during my drinking, and sometimes feel that she will never want to be with me. What do you ladies out there think? Did I do the right thing in not buying her flowers, or should have I gotten them to show her I still care? Don't be affraid to hit me hard with your thoughts and opinions.

johndelko408 11-19-2010 11:16 AM

thanks. Those were actually my sentiments. I didn't feel getting her flowers would mean anything. I'd rather stay on my path, be a father to my kids and just hope for the best. I appreciate your responses though.

goldengirl3 11-19-2010 11:33 AM

I totally lost control of myself.

He emailed me that he is a "good guy" and I'm sorry that you couldn't see that. Told me a bunch of other stuff basically blaming me for everything.

GRRRRR. I totally went off. Dang it.

suki44883 11-19-2010 11:35 AM

Try not reading his emails. He can't upset you if he can't contact you.

Freedom1990 11-19-2010 11:48 AM

I have filters on my email where I can re-route anyone I so desire straight to trash. :)

seekingcalm 11-19-2010 12:09 PM

Golden Girl...don't listen to anything he says. Stay strong. Sometimes, when things like this happen to me, I tell myself it is a test from my Higher Power, and being the goody two-shoes, high achieving girl I have always been...sets me straight every time. Well, almost every time :)

And John, you are so right, the very best gift you can give your wife, your children and yourself is complete committment to recovery and long term sobriety. My ex abf was sending me flowers, and presents, and books, you name it, it all felt manipulative to me because he was doing it just to get me back. I felt that his focus should be on himself at this time, and not on our relationship. I am also recovering, and need no distractions from it at the moment. Good for you for getting healthy.

husbandofacoa 11-19-2010 01:28 PM

Sounds like someone is trying to play the old alcoholic con game again.

goldengirl3 11-19-2010 03:43 PM

Alcoholic con game? Care to share?

The drama is over thank goodness. I reblocked his emails.

On bright side, I called the flowershop and the sender gave directions to not give out the name. It could be anyone for all I know.

Whatever the case - the flowers are pretty! Me and my cats will enjoy them.

theuncertainty 11-21-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 (Post 2772541)
The card said, "You deserve everything in life."

This reminds me of a little notebook I found. The cover has a drawing of a town and a caption that reads "He offered her the world. She said she had her own." The notebook is now my Gratitude List.

Hang in there, Goldengirl.