Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT Going to meet the Dutch community, now feeling anxiety ughhh!!

OT Going to meet the Dutch community, now feeling anxiety ughhh!!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Arrow OT Going to meet the Dutch community, now feeling anxiety ughhh!!

WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE FUN????????? WHYY??

Now that is off my chest - the therapist's daughter is a very succesful woman married to a Dutchman. Succesful as in, at 31 she has already run for federal female delegate.... I met her, her husband and a friend of them twice before.
Of course they all have lots of money and "status".

Today the therapist told me her daughter is having a huge party for new year. I am officially invited. She mentioned 3 new Dutchmen are coming, that they are handsome, well-off and gentlemen.

And they want to introduce them to me.

Where is the panic button?? And WTF does one wear to a New Year party in winter??
Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Social anxiety is a tough one. It sounds like a big party so that would make it easier for me. I'd remind myself that lots of people will be there to mingle with so that is much less pressure on me. I have terrible fashion sense so I can't help on that note.

I'm trying not to project so take this, or leave it, but I would need a more clearly defined boundary with my therapist if I was still seeing her regularly as a therapist. I am often confused when you talk about her. Do you think that (that your therapist is arranging introductions and you'll be at one of her family functions) could make a difference in your apprehension about this party? It would make my head explode but I don't know that there is anything wrong with it, hence the projecting comment earlier.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

perhaps the situation is loaded for you because of the setup implications with the young dutch gentlemen?

maybe just forget about that and just go to the party...

now, i think i would wear something black with something sparkly...like a velvet short skirt with a gold, sparkly top. something festive. i nice pair of hose also, maybe with a line down the back. new year's is a good time to look elegant methinks and a good excuse to dress up!