Quick Question

Old 10-30-2003, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick Question

Why do recovered alcoholics like coffee so much? I always see them hanging at the coffee houses and I've heard it mentioned before on the post that they like coffee. I've noticed this with my father. When he quit drinking he began drinking at least four pots of coffee a day. Does anyone know?
Thanks.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have a definitive answer..but I can tell you that when my son was in recovery center, he was told not to try and quit smoking ciggs. The counselor said that his body would be going through an awful lot and he needed to keep one thing he could hold on to. I hated hearing that coming from her. But I suppose she knew what she was talking about..she was a doctor after all. I did notice that for each meeting..there was a huge coffee pot and everyone had a cup. I bettcha it has something to do with exchanging one vice for another or something.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

Diet Coke for My A

LM,

I don't know why either, my A (5 years sober) is a fiend for Diet Coke. He knows that it is an issue for him and tries to cut back. I realize that much of the addiction is still there - but he manages with something that doesn't turn him into "someone else". I'll buy him a 12 pack of Diet Coke any day!

Enjoy the day,

Petunia
Old 10-30-2003, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

I don't know. My dad quit drinking alcohol 12 years ago, but is "addicted" to coffee. He tried cutting back a few years ago, but got headaches from withdrawal, so he decided he'd rather not have the headaches...and kept drinking his coffee.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Responsible Girl

My A is addicted to anything and everything. Sex, drugs, alcohol, coffee , cigarettes, money (more like spending money), people- anything that may make him feel good, regardless of the long or short term consequences. He drinks a pot of coffee a day, and then drinks 6 or 7 Pepsis until I get home from work, and smokes a pack of cigarettes a day. This will be his third day sober if he makes it, and while I know we've only just begun to deal with his addictions, at this point I'm picking my battles.