It's OK to laugh

Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's OK to laugh

I thought this was appropriate to share here:

Today's thought from Hazelden is:
We're not here to lose our sense of humor.--Richie Berlin

Being too serious is habit forming. However, many aspects of our lives are serious and need to be addressed. Our disease, for one, is very serious. Working the Twelve Step program to the best of our ability is serious too. So are being honest and loving with friends, taking responsibility for all of our behavior, and being willing to change. But we can get in the habit of being too serious in many areas of our lives where a lighter touch is called for.

Cultivating laughter, so it too can become habit forming, benefits us immeasurably; however, this may not be easy. Our family of origin taught us that some things were funny and other things weren't. If we were laughed at rather than encouraged to see the humor in situations affecting us, we may find it hard to be comfortable with anyone's laughter. But we can work on this. We can begin by spending time with people who laugh and see the humor in situations that affect them. Our families were our earliest teachers; we can pick some new teachers now.

The more often I laugh today, the lighter my spirit will feel and the healthier my emotional life will become.

You are reading from the book:

A Woman's Spirit by Karen Casey
Old 11-17-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post.

But then I immediately thought... it was rather serious for a post about laughter
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some of my most painful times here were late at night when I couldn't sleep. My ex was somewhere outside my apartment either spying on me or stalking me, my 20 yr old son was out god knows where doing god knows what with drugs and alcohol. I was angry, frightened, sick to my stomach.

Those were also some of the times that we all got to talking about something silly here on SR.... and I laughed. Sometimes I laughed until I cried. I remember some "dance parties" we had here, I remember some fairy tales where one person posted part and then another person picked it up and went on with the tale.

I remember when Devastated posted about her son wondering about the thread count of the sheets in jail. Granted, it was sad that he was in jail... but gads we found humor in the thread count part. And we laughed, and we understood each other's pain, and we laughed some more. It helped us get thru some of the darkest parts of our lives.

It's OK to laugh.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Granted, it was sad that he was in jail... but gads we found humor in the thread count part.
I was pointed to that thread and laughed my tushie off!
thread count! hahahahahaha
i mean, my son did complain about how "rough" the sheets were!
lol