what about my drinking?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

And I love to drink perrier or fancy sparkling cider from a wine glass.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by breakingglass View Post
my AH is struggling right now trying so hard not to drink and he's hurting physically and emtionally.
Has he seen a doctor about the withdrawal? Unsupervised withdrawal can be very physically dangerous, it can lead to severe illness, seizures, permanent mental damage and occasionally be fatal. If he hasn't seen one, it's worth recommending, they can monitor him and if he needs medication they can help.

If he absolutely won't see a doctor then some vitamin supplements can make a HUGE difference. Some very recommended ones are:

VItamin B12 (for nerve damage)
Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) 500mg 2x daily
Mega B 2X Daily....take it even if he takes thiamine
Vitamin C 1,000mg 3x daily
Magnesium complex 2 x daily
Flaxseed Oil Capsules 6 x daily
Zinc 1x daily
Lecithin Capsules or granules 3 x daily
L-Glutamine 3x daily
Tyrosine 500mg 2x daily
G.A.B.A 750mg 2x daily

It's also helpful for him to have a good diet, with lots of fresh fruit and veg, try to get some daily exercise when in withdrawal. He may find that he also craves sugar as alcohol is full of it, so he is withdrawing from that as well as the booze itself, but it's actually a good idea to avoid sugar for a while as it will only serve to prolong the length of the withdrawal.

I think you are doing the right thing by not drinking around him, my husband's psychologist was completely adamant that I should not drink at all when he was in early recovery.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And don't forget, if he does fall off the wagon, he mustn't beat himself up about it. He has made a WONDERFUL achievement by doing 2 days. There are guys relapsing on our forums and they feel so guilty. Well, he mustn't. This is REALLY tough.

How I wish he could be on our forum here at SR. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have had a hope in hell. We have a small team that are just constantly supporting one another. I like to think of it like a cycling velodrome. If anyone relapses, it is more like one of the pack leaders has drifted out to the side of the track and then just tucked in behind everyone again (back on day 1) but the pack just keep on winning, altogether as a single team.

You are right to feel very proud of him.
Day 2. WooooHooooo.