Blogs

Notices

Have you read the AA BIG BOOK?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was given a 3rd edition when I was in rehab. It's so raggedy now that a section of it falls out if I'm not careful. My sponsor says it's no coincidence that part of the section is on sex and inventory.

LOL
after reading this thread, i am gettin my BB out and look around again.
i will see what i highlighted and it will remind me what the "aha" i got was.
thank you freedom. that was funny.
i have seen the books held together with rubber bands and a prayer.
"get a new one? i just got this one broke in good!"

beth
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicked For This Useful Post:
fourmaggie (11-14-2010), Learn2Live (11-14-2010), Live (11-21-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

@wicked....our AA book is just that OURs...we learn at our own pace, right...i would not change my book for anything...its me and my recovery since April...all my life i have had AL ANON but, just now, started to "get it" in my own way with the tools i have today...

I am so glad i asked this question...bring it on...what really are the view points of this BIGBOOK...have your say...what did you learn, what page...I would love this thread to carry on with pages # and how we got that moment in our lives...

I was given a 3rd edition when I was in rehab. It's so raggedy now that a section of it falls out if I'm not careful. My sponsor says it's no coincidence that part of the section is on sex and inventory.
OMG! that is too funny!!!

Something new always jumps out at me too, John.
yes, for me too
The Following User Says Thank You to fourmaggie For This Useful Post:
wicked (11-14-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

pg 449

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to fourmaggie For This Useful Post:
Learn2Live (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i still can't wrap my head around the chapter to the wives.
The Following User Says Thank You to embraced2000 For This Useful Post:
Live (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

for anyone that can answer...I know that edition 1, 2, 3, 4......but are the PAGE numbers different for each book?...i go and look for references..but the pages dont line up....
Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

sorry this was to be page 417....NOT pg 449
Old 11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

"Most people try to live by self-propulsion. Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show; is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the scenery and the rest of the players in his own way. If his arrangements would only stay put, if only people would do as he wished, the show would be great. Everybody, including himself, would be pleased. Life would be wonderful." How It Works pgs. 61-62 (3rd edition)

That definitely applied to me not only in my alcoholism, but in my codependency too. It's darned hard to put that director's wand down sometimes!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freedom1990 For This Useful Post:
fourmaggie (11-22-2010), Learn2Live (11-21-2010), wicked (11-21-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

it has come to my attention that editions 1, 2, 3 and 4 are alot the same but alot different ....
a friend gave me this link to see the difference and the changes that where made from the 1st edition to the fourth edition..

AA History - Fourth Edition Changes to the BIG BOOK.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Originally Posted by fourmaggie View Post
it has come to my attention that editions 1, 2, 3 and 4 are alot the same but alot different ....
a friend gave me this link to see the difference and the changes that where made from the 1st edition to the fourth edition..

AA History - Fourth Edition Changes to the BIG BOOK.

I've got both the 3rd and 4th edition, so it can get confusing.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^ i totally agree, so hoping this link can help everyone..."ACCEPTENCE" was the big change

Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

There is a section in the front written by a doctor. He wrote it back in the early stages of the program. He was not an alcoholic himself but he wrote about how some people would literally drink themselves to death and could not stop.

It was reading this that made me realize that alcoholism is truly a disease. Up until that point I would mouth the words that it was a disease but after reading that passage, I finally realized that alcoholism is a disease like cancer.

However, even someone with cancer needs to recognize that they need help. I don't have to trash my own life on someone who will not help herself.
The Following User Says Thank You to husbandofacoa For This Useful Post:
fourmaggie (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have several copies of Alcoholics Anonymous. The ones I rely on the most are my mini (which is in my purse at all times) and the first one, a 4th edition, I bought when I'd been in program (Al-Anon) about 15 months. These 2 are pretty marked-up, with lots of notes and quotations from my favorite BB-study speakers, notes, highlights, etc. The others are more "collectors" type printings, and they are beautiful, but really, not of much practical use, as I cannot seem to break the habit of writing in any book that is important to me.

I have read the forwards, doctor's opinion and the first 164 pages too many times to count. I have also read the stories in the 4th edition (though not as often) and the book Experience, Strength and Hope that contains the stories from the first 3 editions that no longer appear in the 4th.

Due to my educational background, I am kinda into the whole idea of primary texts, and I believe that the BB is absolutely the primary text of any 12 Step program. Although I am Al-Anon, I have done most of my own step work out of the BB and the AA 12x12, and I work the Steps with the women I sponsor (currently 9 of them) out of the BB....I just find it to be more powerful and more direct -- and to have a much greater sense of urgency about recovery -- than most Al Anon literature.

I love to listen to Fellowship of the Spirit BB and/or Step study speakers, and my own relationship to the text is heavily influenced by them....As for my favorite passages, it depends on the day...but this one (1st edition, page 25) is always pretty high on the list:

The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe. The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves.

...and it's most certainly true for me!

freya
The Following User Says Thank You to freya For This Useful Post:
fourmaggie (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^^ wow!..can we be friends???...LOL, I can learn alot from you too...thank you so much for sharing to everyone...i like to keep this post going, if i can....