WE Coulda' Told 'Em THAT! Part 2

Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

WE Coulda' Told 'Em THAT! Part 2

Scientific evidence that getting and staying in The Present Moment is necessary for happiness:

Wandering Minds Belong to Unhappy People
November 12th, 2010, 10:05 GMT| By Smaranda Biliuti
Wandering Minds Belong to Unhappy People - Softpedia

A new study carried out by two Harvard University psychologists, found that most people spend almost half of their waking time thinking of what is not going on around them, and this is actually making them miserable.

Matthew A. Killingsworth and Daniel T. Gilbert of Harvard University, conducted a study based on an iPhone web application, that allowed gathering 250,000 data points on 2,250 subjects' thoughts, feelings, and actions as they went about their lives.

The volunteers were contacted at random intervals and asked how happy they were, what they were currently doing, and whether they were thinking about their current activity or about something else that was pleasant, neutral, or unpleasant.

They reported spending 46.9% of their waking hours thinking about something other than what they were doing, and this mind-wandering actually made them unhappy.

Killingsworth and Gilbert said that “a human mind is a wandering mind, and a wandering mind is an unhappy mind.

“The ability to think about what is not happening is a cognitive achievement that comes at an emotional cost.”
Humans are the only animals that spend a lot of time thinking of past events, of things that might happen in the future or may never occur at all.

The volunteers that took part at this study were aged from 18 to 88 years, were representative for a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds and occupations, and 74% of them were American.

When asked about what they were doing, they could choose from a list of 22 general activities, like walking, eating, watching TV or shopping.

The respondents had their minds wandering 46.9% of the time, and no less than 30% of the time during every activity, except making love.

Killingsworth, who is a doctoral student in psychology at Harvard, said that “mind-wandering appears ubiquitous across all activities.

“This study shows that our mental lives are pervaded, to a remarkable degree, by the non-present.”

The two psychologists found that people were happiest when making love, exercising, or having a conversation, and the least happy when working, resting or using a home computer.

“Mind-wandering is an excellent predictor of people's happiness,” said Killingsworth.

“In fact, how often our minds leave the present and where they tend to go is a better predictor of our happiness than the activities in which we are engaged.”

What they also found was that mind wandering was not a consequence of being unhappy, but the cause of it.

“Many philosophical and religious traditions teach that happiness is to be found by living in the moment, and practitioners are trained to resist mind wandering and to 'be here now,'” Killingsworth and Gilbert wrote in their paper appearing in the journal Science.

“These traditions suggest that a wandering mind is an unhappy mind,” and this study confirms it.

The web app the researchers have developed to study happiness can be found at Track Your Happiness.

Copyright © 2001-2010 Softpedia
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
The two psychologists found that people were happiest when making love, exercising, or having a conversation, and the least happy when working, resting or using a home computer.
I would comment, but I must log off now and take a walk.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Good info, L2L. But how does one stop the mind from wandering?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a master procrastinator. I can procrastinate like nobody I know!

This thread speaks to me about that. Thanks. It actually helps me, and makes a great deal of sense.
It may be one of the keys to help me unlock my procrastination and stop my self-destructive behavior. I spend a great deal of time thinking of what is, what isn't, what used to be, what never will be. Action!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd be happier too if I could spend all my time releasing endorphins through sex and exercise and conversations (about sex and exercise of course), and when I'm laid out taking a nap with my pets, that's my happy place so this business about "resting" being unhappy is relative for sure.

I agree about the wandering mind, though. When I let my mind wander, it goes to all sorts of stressful places and I can awfulize at the drop of a hat.

Good bit of info posted! Good food for thought. Maybe I'll wait till I'm on the treadmill working up a good sweat to ponder it though. I'd hate to get the grumps at my keyboard. LOL!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

how does one stop the mind from wandering?
You got me Former. If I knew how to do this, I probably wouldn't have ADHD! LOL Maybe by "making love, exercising, or having a conversation."
Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I call my mind wandering, daydreaming.
I no longer awfulize, I think what would make me happy?
Some computer time? (where my friends live) reading helpful posts or sites?
Watching TV and laughing at Judge Judy.
Hmmm, interesting to see what is considered happiness.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I have ADHD, too, and OCD, OCD, OCD, OCD....
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dang! I let my mind wander all the time. It wonders about other people, other problems, other solutions...anything other than myself. Sometimes I feel as though it is trying to wonder away from myself. As if it is looking to escape/flee its responsibilities.

I do have ADD though....
Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The computer makes me unhappy?! I must be REALLY depressed then. Although as mentioned if I constantly had someone to talk to and sleep with, maybe I wouldn't be devoting so much of my time to my lap top!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you think about it, cave people didn't worry about the future. What future? The most you worried about was where your next meal was coming from, oh and if that saber tooth tiger is going to chase you.

But the rest of the time they probably just had sex, grunted back and forth in conversation and ran away from saber tooth tigers (exercise). We have nothing else to do now but worry and let our mind wander.

I really wish I could stay in the moment. But I love my naps! Love to rest. I actually clear my head that way.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
I have ADHD, too, and OCD, OCD, OCD, OCD....

I have a touch of CDO

Its a little like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, the way they ought to be!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Sex? in fact sad/difficult moments are related to that in my case. And I wander A LOT too. Damn.

Exercise? sure thing, hard to wonder about anything while being yelled to "HIT HARDER!! HITTTTTTTTT" while sweating like a pig lol

Resting? well if you are in Savasana pose, that is actually one of the happiest, most calm moments of my day.

Home computer? that does NOT apply to SR. Here some stuff is painful but I also become healed and content and feel motivated, inspired.

Anyway here is a great article from

http://www.intent.com/blog/2009/03/0...ind-meditation

It’s been called the monkey mind – the endless chattering in your head as you jump in your mind from thought to thought while you daydream, analyze your relationships, or worry over the future. Eventually, you start to feel like your thoughts are spinning in circles and you’re left totally confused.

One way to tame this wild creature in your head is through meditation – although the paradox is that when you clear your mind for meditation you actually invite the monkey in your mind to play. This is when you are given the opportunity to tame this mental beast by moving beyond thought – to become aware of a thought rather than thinking a thought. The difference is subtle, but significant. When you are aware of your thoughts, you can let your thoughts rise and float away without letting them pull you in different directions. Being able to concentrate is one of the tools that allows you to slow down your thought process and focus on observing your thoughts.

To develop your concentration, you may want to start by focusing on the breath while you meditate. Whenever your monkey mind starts acting up, observe your thoughts and then return your focus to your breath. Some breathing meditations call on you to focus on the rise and fall of the breath through the abdomen, while others have you concentrate on the sound of the breath. Fire can also be mesmerizing, and focusing on a candle flame is another useful tool for harnessing the mind. Keep the gaze soft and unfocused while observing the color, shape, and movement of the flame, and try not to blink. Close your eyes when you feel the need and continue watching the flame in your head. Chanting, devotional singing, and mantras also still the mind. However you choose to tame the monkey mind, do so with firm kindness. The next time the chattering arises, notice it and then allow it to go away. With practice, your monkey mind will become quiet and so will you.

In my case its: yoga, plain and simple. Yoga is what does the trick. Yoga breathing exercises when I am not on the mat. If you look them up and make a real effort the payback will be worth it... thanks for reminding me to do more of these!!

Pranayama - Pranayama and Yoga - Pranayama and Breathing Exercises

Also, to turn to the senses and go through everything like in a 'snapshot'

What are you seeing?
What are you smelling?
What are you touching?
What are you tasting?
What are you hearing?
What are you feeling?

That is "becoming the observer"

As usual its very diff to do at first.. will be practicing it.. let me know how you are doing

I read somewhere the mind is in service to the heart, not the way around, and I believe it. The mind alone can be very destructive and rob us the gift of the present moment that is always available to us