SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Off topic : your fave barbq sauce for pork??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/212983-off-topic-your-fave-barbq-sauce-pork.html)

Live 11-09-2010 06:47 AM

Off topic : your fave barbq sauce for pork???

I am serving some leftover pork loin as pulled pork today...I want to heat it in a barbq sauce but don't have a recipe...
I am serving homemade coleslaw and fried potatoes with it.
Baking some sort of dessert, haven't decided that yet.
will probably do something with the apples I have on hand.

what is your fave?

Kindeyes 11-09-2010 06:52 AM

Live
My FAVORITE thing to put on pork is not a bbq sauce but a rub that would taste wonderful on pulled pork as well. It's called......BUTT RUB. I use that stuff on everything! Salads, corn on the cob, and just about any meat (chicken with Butt Rub....yum). I know that didn't really address the bbq sauce but if you haven't tried it, it's worth it.

Everything's better with a little Butt Rub! (That's their tag line)

Enjoy! And I hope someone comes along with a good recipe for a wonderful bbq sauce for you!

gentle hugs

Still Waters 11-09-2010 07:01 AM

I'm not sure I could eat anything called butt rub. lol

Pelican 11-09-2010 07:16 AM

1 large onion chopped
oil to saute onion
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup lemon juice(fresh)
3 T sugar
3 T worchestershire
2 T mustard
1/2 t pepper

Saute onion until transparent. Add other ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.

Variations:
add 1 T heinz 57
1/2 t tobassco
substitute maple syrup for sugar
1/4 cayene pepper

My favorite bottled bbq is Stubbs Original

summer017 11-09-2010 07:21 AM

sweet baby rays :ValD014:

pixilation 11-09-2010 08:40 AM

***** and Beans(got it at the local Rib fest this summer) It is so much better than commercial BBQ sauces.

pixilation 11-09-2010 08:41 AM

Oh wow..Um P.ork(y) didn't realize that word would be censored.

smacked 11-09-2010 12:47 PM

this will sound weird..but a small jar of grape jelly and a jar of chili sauce mixed together is amazing!

tjp613 11-09-2010 01:36 PM

Fischer & Weiser Raspberry Chipotle sauce!!!

Sold at my grocery store, but also at Costco & online, etc.

Costco - Fischer & WieserŪ The Original Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce 6 Bottles - 15.75 oz. Each

Seren 11-09-2010 01:44 PM

.....low country......
.....vinegar based......
......NO ketchup, NO mustard......

slow cooked!!!! Yum!!!!!

Daybreak 11-09-2010 02:36 PM

My tastes are unsophisticated. I plunk a boneless pork roast down in a heavy pan, add storebrand barbecue sauce - and cook it real slow. The only work to it is pulling or cutting apart the cooked pork. It tastes as good to me as any barbecue I've ever eaten out. Or better. Okay, to be honest -- sometimes I add a little fresh garlic.

Live 11-09-2010 05:41 PM

thanks! I decided to make it tomorrow so that I could see what you all like first...and go to the grocery tomorrow.

wicked 11-09-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by hydrogirl (Post 2762305)
.....low country......
.....vinegar based......

slow cooked!!!! Yum!!!!!

yeah, but hydrogirl doesnt she need a whole pig, and a spit for the full effect?
just get me a little tenderloin there, and I will be happy.
:lmao

suki44883 11-09-2010 06:27 PM

barbeque sauce is okay, but I prefer horseradish or horseradish sauce with pork.

DesertEyes 11-09-2010 07:36 PM

Just a minor editorial note, I changed the title to say "Off topic". It _really_ helps in keeping track of things, especially when there lots of newbies and crisis.

Mike :)

FormerDoormat 11-09-2010 07:40 PM

Here's my favorite BBQ sauce. In my home-made cookbook, I've dubbed this:

Awesome Barbecue Sauce for BBQ Beef or Pork Sandwiches

2 large onions, chopped
1 cup ketchup
2 cups beef broth
2/3 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. prepared mustard
2 T. molasses
2 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 T. liquid smoke

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Such sweet and sour, smokey deliciousness.

FormerDoormat 11-09-2010 07:51 PM

Another recipe for BBQ pork sandwiches, this one with lots less ketchup and more vinegar flavor; probably the low country style mentioned earlier. This is also from my home-made cookbook.

Pork BBQ Sandwiches

1 bone-in pork shoulder (~4 lbs.)
2 cups water (add more if necessary)
1 tsp. salt
2 cups finely chopped celery
1/2 cup steak sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tsp. lemon juice
2 T. chili sauce
2 T. ketchup
2 tsp. liquid smoke (or to taste)
4 large onions, sliced
2 T. olive oil
2 T. butter

Place pork roast, water and salt in Dutch oven. Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until meat is very tender. Remove meat and discard bones; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from pan juices. Stir in celery, steak sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice, chili sauce, ketchup, liquid smoke, and shredded pork. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, saute onions with sugar, olive oil, and butter for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve pork and onions on buns.

BuffaloGal 11-09-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by hydrogirl (Post 2762305)
.....low country......
.....vinegar based......

slow cooked!!!! Yum!!!!!

Note to folks from everywhere except the Deep South: barbeque ingredients and styles are extremely region specific and the great majority of Southerners think that their style is the best one... and, of course, Texans think that too ;)

Johnny Ray's, Dreamland, or Golden Rule sauce, all the way. I've never tried making my own...

wicked 11-10-2010 07:41 AM

Johnny Ray's, Dreamland, or Golden Rule sauce, all the way. I've never tried making my own...

what is this blasphemy you speak of?
:gaah

LOL
I lived in NC, SC and GA.
But, I admit to loving all pork, cooked any kind of way with any kind of sauce.
this is an anonymous forum yes?
LOL

feeling-good 11-10-2010 08:07 AM

All I can say is these things all sound soooo delicious and I want to try some of these recipes - coming from Scotland we are not very adventurous when it comes to BBQ sauces - I know my husband will be thrilled to add to his very large collection of recipes!

Oh, edited to add - being a noob, would someone mind explaining in detail how you 'pull' pork or beef or whatever. I have had this in the USA and it was yummy, but have never tried it myself - do you literally pull it in your hands or between two forks or what?! (sorry, I just know someone will be lolling about my question..... :-) )

OT, OT, this thread has actually made me smile for the first time in days... maybe visiting recipe web sites would be good for my own recovery?