Off topic : your fave barbq sauce for pork???

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

maybe visiting recipe web sites would be good for my own recovery?
oh yes, feeling down.
barbeque is serious business here in the states.
LOL
some do actually pull the pork apart with their fingers,
others put a bunch on a big chopping block and use a big knife.
when i lived in north carolina, there was a little of both.
the party was called a "pig pickin".
a whole pig was roasted slowly over a pit, taken off the fire when done, and people would actually come and "pick" the part they wanted.
but there are as many different ways as there are barbeque sauces and the one that formerdoormat posted looks delicious. molasses is the secret ingredient.

Beth
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
yeah, but hydrogirl doesnt she need a whole pig, and a spit for the full effect?
just get me a little tenderloin there, and I will be happy.
Oh come on.....you don't think the landlord would really care if Live and company dug a nice BBQ pit out back, do you?!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hydrogirl View Post
Oh come on.....you don't think the landlord would really care if Live and company dug a nice BBQ pit out back, do you?!

of course not, because it is the only way it can be done properly!

c'mon y'all we got us a pig pickin to git to!

hehehehehehe
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, where I'm from BBQ pork is either "chopped" or "sliced inside and out." It is soaked in tomato and brown sugar based sauce and served with iced tea that's so sugary, it can stand up by itself.

No coleslaw is placed on the sandwich-- it's on the side, as the good lord intended. The barbeque meat can only be properly prepared in huge, ancient, soot encrusted grills in restaurants where the waitresses call you honey and there are plenty of piggy figurines and college football memorabilia on display, but no health rating posted anywhere.

I miss it so, but the food is much healthier out here...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No coleslaw is placed on the sandwich-- it's on the side, as the good lord intended. The barbeque meat can only be properly prepared in huge, ancient, soot encrusted grills in restaurants where the waitresses call you honey and there are plenty of piggy figurines and college football memorabilia on display, but no health rating posted anywhere.
oh, yes buffalogal. they try to do it up here in michigan, but no waitresses that call you honey. and i cant find that stand alone sweet tea to save my life.
sigh........
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

LOL

Well, I had all ready roasted a tenderloin, you see. Garlic and herbs marinade.
I was going to use the leftovers for barbq sandwiches and yes I want coleslaw on the sandwish.

But I wound up picking it myself and eating it straight out of the frig cold.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

OMGosh you guys, my mouth start WATERING after reading FormerD's recipes!!!
I think the next campout-in-front yard is at Live's!!! (Aw, this makes me miss Jadmack).
Old 11-10-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

So how did the roast turn out? Did you roast it at 500 for the first 10 or 15 mins and then slow roast it the remainder?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
cmc

Wow...those recipes sound good. After eating some wonderful ribs at a friends house, she shared her recipe:

mix one part each:
Regular Coca Cola (diet will not work)
Ketchup

Of course you could toss in some minced onion, garlic or whatever spice you like. It tastes alot better than it sounds!
Old 11-11-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ooooh thanks everyone - I have so many ideas now. We have a very busy weekend coming up, so no time to work on pork roasting specialities, but I plan to work on this the following weekend.

Do you folks in the US know what a slow cooker is? I guess it's just like a mini oven (with a very heavy ceramic inside 'pot') you plug in and it cooks things at either 90 or 100 degrees centigrade - you basically can put anything in and cook it for, like, 5 hours or overnight or whatever - do you think I could do my pre-prep in this for the pork and then 'pull' it and then cook in BBQ sauce? I'm sure I could, but just not sure... I sure don't have any smoky charcoal-y type things to cook in....
Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
LOL

But I wound up picking it myself and eating it straight out of the frig cold.
You sound sooo like me - lol!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by feelingdown View Post

Do you folks in the US know what a slow cooker is? I guess it's just like a mini oven (with a very heavy ceramic inside 'pot') you plug in and it cooks things at either 90 or 100 degrees centigrade - you basically can put anything in and cook it for, like, 5 hours or overnight or whatever - do you think I could do my pre-prep in this for the pork and then 'pull' it and then cook in BBQ sauce? I'm sure I could, but just not sure... I sure don't have any smoky charcoal-y type things to cook in....
We call them "crock pots" in the US.
I think the bbq sauce could be put into one to simmer for a few hours. I would saute the onions briefly in a hot pan first. Just use caution in leaving it in the crock pot. My experience with tomato based sauces in the crock pot (chilli) is that the sauce scorches on the edges. (might be the quality of my crock pot)

Happy cooking!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

L2L, I had bought a tenderloin all ready in the vacuum bag marinating so I did just drop it in the crock pot...I am going to do one your way later on.

I love that coca cola & Heinz ketchup + lots of spices. That is my favorite for hamburgers. (lemon pepper, black pepper, cayenne, + clean out the cabinet with the hot and spicy; it should taste pretty hot when stirring together but mellows out during basting) Yummy.

as for the cookout: ya'll come now, ya hear?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

feeling down,

the crock pot is an excellent way to cook pork to pull.
really good and tender.
certainly try that, you will be successful and enjoy it very much.
call it your "secret recipe".

Beth
Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
feeling down,

the crock pot is an excellent way to cook pork to pull.
really good and tender.
certainly try that, you will be successful and enjoy it very much.
call it your "secret recipe".

Beth
Beth - I *love* the idea of making it my own 'secret recipe'!

Now, my next newbie Q re pork for slow roasting / pulling etc - is tenderloin the best cut to go for? There is an excellent butcher in the town I live in so I know I could go and ask for anything, but really my knowledge is a bit limited....
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

tenderloin is delicious, but with slow roasting you will probably want something with a little more fat.
hmm, maybe rump or shoulder?
if your butcher is good, tell him your plans and he will recommend the perfect cut.
tenderloin would need much less cooking, but it could dry out, and that will leave you with an expensive piece of dried meat.
now, the fatty meat will take some work to get it prettied up, but it will be the most tender and flavorful.
I welcome any and all recommendations from the 'dirty south'.
LOL
I am no expert for sure. and have dried out some pork by overcooking.

Beth