SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Off topic : your fave barbq sauce for pork??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/212983-off-topic-your-fave-barbq-sauce-pork.html)

feeling-good 11-11-2010 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Live (Post 2763591)
LOL

But I wound up picking it myself and eating it straight out of the frig cold.

You sound sooo like me - lol!

Pelican 11-11-2010 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by feelingdown (Post 2764224)

Do you folks in the US know what a slow cooker is? I guess it's just like a mini oven (with a very heavy ceramic inside 'pot') you plug in and it cooks things at either 90 or 100 degrees centigrade - you basically can put anything in and cook it for, like, 5 hours or overnight or whatever - do you think I could do my pre-prep in this for the pork and then 'pull' it and then cook in BBQ sauce? I'm sure I could, but just not sure... I sure don't have any smoky charcoal-y type things to cook in....

We call them "crock pots" in the US.
I think the bbq sauce could be put into one to simmer for a few hours. I would saute the onions briefly in a hot pan first. Just use caution in leaving it in the crock pot. My experience with tomato based sauces in the crock pot (chilli) is that the sauce scorches on the edges. (might be the quality of my crock pot)

Happy cooking!

Live 11-11-2010 05:53 AM

L2L, I had bought a tenderloin all ready in the vacuum bag marinating so I did just drop it in the crock pot...I am going to do one your way later on.

I love that coca cola & Heinz ketchup + lots of spices. That is my favorite for hamburgers. (lemon pepper, black pepper, cayenne, + clean out the cabinet with the hot and spicy; it should taste pretty hot when stirring together but mellows out during basting) Yummy.

as for the cookout: ya'll come now, ya hear?

wicked 11-11-2010 06:11 AM

feeling down,

the crock pot is an excellent way to cook pork to pull.
really good and tender.
certainly try that, you will be successful and enjoy it very much.
call it your "secret recipe".

Beth

feeling-good 11-11-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by wicked (Post 2764332)
feeling down,

the crock pot is an excellent way to cook pork to pull.
really good and tender.
certainly try that, you will be successful and enjoy it very much.
call it your "secret recipe".

Beth

Beth - I *love* the idea of making it my own 'secret recipe'!

Now, my next newbie Q re pork for slow roasting / pulling etc - is tenderloin the best cut to go for? There is an excellent butcher in the town I live in so I know I could go and ask for anything, but really my knowledge is a bit limited....

wicked 11-11-2010 08:09 AM

tenderloin is delicious, but with slow roasting you will probably want something with a little more fat.
hmm, maybe rump or shoulder?
if your butcher is good, tell him your plans and he will recommend the perfect cut.
tenderloin would need much less cooking, but it could dry out, and that will leave you with an expensive piece of dried meat.
now, the fatty meat will take some work to get it prettied up, but it will be the most tender and flavorful.
I welcome any and all recommendations from the 'dirty south'.
LOL
I am no expert for sure. and have dried out some pork by overcooking.

Beth