Not Willing to Trust Easily...

Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Willing to Trust Easily...

Hi all,

I have an update on my dad ('Nam vet with a severe alcohol problem and a GF with just as bad of a problem as he has).

He's been hospitalized recently, and will have to have rehab due to a shoulder injury (hopefully he'll stay, but he has a habit of signing out against medical advice). I hope there's a chance I can rebuild my relationship with him while he's undergoing rehab for the injury.

I know he's been sober for the last several days due to having been hospitalized, but he's gone thru periods of temporary sobriety that always result in a relapse.

A family member recently told me that he and the GF were both "trying to cut down" on the amount they drink. Due to past experience, I know that any consumption on his part is a Very Bad Thing. My mom (who divorced him and has since remarried) hopes things work out for him, but has her doubts due to what she went thru when they were married.

A couple of family members seem to be overly optimistic about his progress level, even though he's called my house in recent weeks and left messages where he's so hammered he could hardly talk. Other family members are sympathetic about what happened, but can't fully appreciate everything due to not having lived in the same house.

Maybe I'm being needlessly skeptical, but I just can't accept that everything's totally okay with him until I see evidence of it myself. Is this normal?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds totally normal to me.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes it quite normal for you to be skeptical about alcohol in his life. He probably has given numerous reasons why you are skeptical. Just relax and take it one day at a time!

There's nothing to fear --- you're as good as the best,
As strong as the mightiest, too.
You can win in every battle or test;
For there's no one just like you.
There's only one you in the world today;
So nobody else, you see,
Can do your work in as fine a way:
You're the only you there'll be !

So face the world, and all life is yours
To conquer and love and live:
And you'll find the happiness that endures
In just the measure you give;
There's nothing too good for you to possess,
Nor heights where you cannot go:
Your power is more than belief or guess ---
It is something you have to know.

There is nothing to fear --- you can and you will.
For you are the invincible you.
Set your foot on the highest hill ---
There's nothing you cannot do.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. It seems he checked himself out of the hospital w/o transferring for rehab. I can't say I'm surprised, it seems like anything that disrupts his bar-crawling lifestyle is something he chooses against.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It appears that what is happening here is clear to you...

...so keep in that vein. You know what you are seeing and what he is doing. I suggest doing your best to avoid being a part of the rest of the family's interaction with your dad and his problem.

Best to you and your dad.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by PuzzledinTX View Post
Thanks, guys. It seems he checked himself out of the hospital w/o transferring for rehab. I can't say I'm surprised, it seems like anything that disrupts his bar-crawling lifestyle is something he chooses against.