SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   First time here my sister is drinking herself to death (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/212840-first-time-here-my-sister-drinking-herself-death.html)

Hereweare 11-07-2010 07:53 AM

First time here my sister is drinking herself to death

I need help. I don't know what to do. My sister is dying. She's being abused and won't stop drinking. She's 29 and she's been drinking since she was 12. She's been in and out of rehab all her life. She left her live in boyfriend a month ago, called me& said she was fine, then on Friday her ex abusive boyfriend called me & said he's worried about her. Said the guy she is with now won't let her leave, won't let her call anyone, I find her take her away from the guy, she's beat up weights nothing, and she won't come to my home she wants to go back to that house because there vodka there. I take her back and I tell her she's dying the next time I see her she'll be dead. I want to try to 302 her to get her into the hospitail to get her sober so she can think straight for a min.her liver is failing, she's so yellow. I just can't let her die, I don't know what to do

Buffalo66 11-07-2010 07:57 AM

I know the town you are in has something called RESOLVE CRISIS NETWORK they come to where the person is, do an eval. They will take her in if she is bad off, insurance or not. You have to intervene. Call RESOLVE CRISIS NETWORK.

I am also in pgh.

Buffalo66 11-07-2010 07:58 AM

Residents of Allegheny County may seek help by calling re:solve Crisis Network at 1.888.7.YOU CAN.

Pelican 11-07-2010 08:01 AM

Welcome to SR!

I am so sorry about your sister. It is heartbreaking to watch our loved ones continue to choose the bottle instead of life.

I understand that you want to save your sister. I see that you want her to snap out of this and get on with her life.

Unfortunately, I also see that your sister does not want the same.

My heart goes out to you.

Have you ever attended Alanon meetings?
Have you sought counseling from a therapist that understands addiction?

When I came to this website, I had to accept the 3 C's of my loved ones addiction:

I didn't Cause it
I couldn't Control it
I wouldn't Cure it

Those are difficult to accept.
But accepting them gave me control of the life that is mine to preserve: me.

Please keep reaching out for support for yourself during this difficult time.

acdirito 11-07-2010 07:00 PM

This is one of those cries for help that makes me wish we could transport through our computer monitor. Thank you Buffalo66 for you reaching out to help to resolve this crisis. I just wish we could know how this crisis is being resolved. I don't consider this as acting on our codependency ....but our gut reaction to another human being in need.

Dear Hereweare my prayers are with you! I hope you will continue to keep posting on SR. You will find someone here who has lived through what you are going through, learned from it, and survived it!

God's Blessings!

keepinon 11-08-2010 06:55 AM

I have to echo Pelican's concern for YOU. Please go to alanon and find some support.We can't save anyone and we all know because we have all tried.It just doesn't work.I am so sorry about your situation and can hear the pain and desperation you are feeling. My daughter is a heroin addict and was in abusive relationships as well. It is a helpless awful feeling. But once I got off the roller coaster and started getting recovery myself, changes happened with my daughter. She is very newly in recovery and while I didn't "get her there" by stopping enabling her and modeling recovery, I made it harder for her to continue a life of active addiction.

Hereweare 09-18-2011 07:20 PM

Here we are again

Hello everyone and thank you for your post. I'm still trying to help my sister, soon after my last post I started to see a therapist&he told me that I have to find a way to accept the fact that she may never stop :( so for the past yr, I've been spending alot more time with her, even if she has a bottle in hand, the therapist said she suffers from post traumatic and sometimes when they quit it gets even worse. She said sometimes if you help her change her habits slowly with out her realizing it, she may start to change. Well this last week she was missing :( her abusive boyfriend called me because he thought she was with me& she wasn't, two days later my mom calls and says she's in icu, having seizures :( she is okay now, but she wouldn't stay in the hospital& wouldn't get help, at one point I was the only one in her room while she was sleeping and a doctor came in and started yelling@me, why wasn't I doing anything about this situation, why don't I tell her life is a gift, I was so furious. He has no idea what I've been though :( my whole life I've been trying to save my sister:( tried to 302 her, a friend of ours was telling her that she wants to jus die in her sleep, but yet they can't help her, unless she breaks the law&is court ordered. They keep saying there's nothing I can do, why can't they help?! I just don't understand, they say it's a sickness, then why can't you help? You can help if someone is dying of heartfailure or something but you can't help someone who is so lost & needs help.
Thank you for all your prayers, my sister is still with me, I still have hope that she will one day wake up, I will never give up on her no matter what doctors say.

grateful101010 09-18-2011 08:02 PM

I'm sorry for your situation. Prayers going out to you.

LFLEENOR 10-04-2011 07:28 AM

My sister is also killing herself slowly. The frustration of not being able to get through to her is terrible. I am trying to make the decision to stop communicating with her for my sake and my families. Seems like she is controlling all of us. My brother in law is living with my family now and she calls my house sometimes 16 times in 1 hour. She stays drunk from morning til early afternoon everyday - then passes out.

sky90 09-16-2017 03:13 PM

This is an old post. However, I hope you did not give up on your sister.

Originally Posted by LFLEENOR (Post 3125435)
My sister is also killing herself slowly. The frustration of not being able to get through to her is terrible. I am trying to make the decision to stop communicating with her for my sake and my families. Seems like she is controlling all of us. My brother in law is living with my family now and she calls my house sometimes 16 times in 1 hour. She stays drunk from morning til early afternoon everyday - then passes out.