I Don't EVER want to forget!!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Don't EVER want to forget!!

Hi everyone,

I've been away from this forum but today for some reason I just needed to go over what my ex/alcoholic husband of 17 years did to my life along with my very poor decisions....and to remember. I'm not bitter, resentful, angry nor do I wish him any harm but this is what his drinking and me hanging around for the fun did to me..

He lost his job, which of course put us in a huge financial bind, we had bought a house the year before (the biggest mistake of my life getting back together with him and buying a house in 2006!!) Our income dropped by 50%, I threw him out, he went down the street to live in a seedy motel, I got his unemployment checks for a year, every week and put them in an account, paid bills and then gave the guy at the motel his rent so he wouldnt' show up on my doorstep. GOD what I did, he would be face down on the floor in that place, I called the police several times to see if he was still alive...awful business..

well, the money dried up, he got into a treatment facility for veterans for a year and I went financially down the tubes with the house. .tried to sell it, no takers, tried renter, that didnt' work out, tried everything but just could not get back on track with my finances, you talk about stress...

I finally got it resolved recently, am divorced from him, and am rebuilding my self confidence and my life. I am alone and that is so much better, I enjoy my alone time, the peace and quiet in the house and my sanity most of all. I could tell some terrible horror stories. I don't miss him much anymore, I am proud I was able to overcome and move on from all the problems alcoholism gave me in my life..

My bottom was reading "Codependent no more."..that book was speaking to me. I was the poster girl for what NOT to do in ALANON. Today I see what I did but I didn't know what I didn't know. I have a healthy fear of booze today for me as I'm a drunk myself (sober 25 years..) and hopefully if I ever do meet someone nice, they won't be a drinker, not even a social one...not in the cards for me, I wouldn't sleep at night.

thanks for reading, hope it's not too much information!! wish everyone luck, new people here..it gets better, I just didn't know that "it" was me.

M
Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutley INSPIRING!!! Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Wishing you peace as you continue on your recovery journey. Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You are an inspiration, enjoy your life!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story with us and congrats on your successful growth and 25 years of sobriety !!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story! It really gets me thinking.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well done you are a wonderful power of example!! you should be very proud!