I'm going on a date. A real one.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

yes, i'm in the uk but i'm so poor now i don't have a landline, if you can believe that, i just use payphones.

and as you know, i ripped my mobile in half with my bare hands when OW called him on it. (i'm not proud of that by the way)

i'm living on £60/week. after food and electricity, theres' nothing left.

(gee, i need to get a job! that's next on the agenda! well, after we plan your outfit!)
I dunno, I'm proud of you for ripping a cell phone in half with your bare hands. But I'm a bad influence.
YouTube - Pink - Bad Influence (Official Video)

And I already told you what your job should be. Drunk Translator.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

And what's wrong with black? I look good in black..
How about purple? Magenta and black?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How about purple? Magenta and black?
Personally, I LOVE those colors.
What is important though, is how you feel when you put it on.
When you look in the mirror and say,
"Oh yeah, there she is!"
you know that is the one.
you stand taller, walk with a purpose, fling your hair around!
yep.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i like black too. i think in mexico, where tc is, it is much more colorful.

anyway, i'm just messing around. i'm sure you know what looks good on you and what you feel good in.

i went to the bananarepublic webpage, to get ideas for you there were all sorts of cute layered outfits there.

Apparel, Handbags, Shoes and Accessories for Women and Men | Banana Republic

i also like the look of a camisole, with a loose top over it, over leggings or a long skirt with boots. you could top it off with a cropped jacket for your speaking engagement, and then ditch the jacket to show a little shoulder.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I'd wear my crocs.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

transform--fun!

No Land's End/Eddie Bauer stuff. No mom clothes

2nd hand store or you can make some really cool things doing tee shirt surgery.

You can do the look TC gave you and just have a less fitted shirt that falls over the waistband. Toss on a funky scarf (instead of the turtle neck) to keep your neck warm

naive-I agree-you can't do anything wrong with velvet. Jeans, a black velvet tee shirt and boots looks good anywhere.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I approve this thread.

Turtlenecks are good- for nuns

Sorry, perhaps its that my mom ALWAYS wears black/gray, and I believe its depressing having seen too much of it already! But, black+magenta, that is better !!

Funky scarf, earrings, hairdo, a little bit more charged makeup will make the attention go to your face/shoulders....

Leggings+ long shirt+belt just below bust+boots or something with heel=winner, that is what everybody here uses !

Anyway we all know in which clothes we feel more comfortable let us know how it goes !
Old 11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^^ OMG still waters thats too much...

HUNNIE, show him what you got!! wear heels...heels make you stand tall, feel like a WOMAN and a million bucks....!! *just saying...lol*
Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Heels make my feet hurt and make me crabby.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i like this look:

straight skirt, loose unbutton shirt, killer shoes. simple, elegant, feminine and sexy!

Forever 21 hat - Forever 21 blouse - pants - Forever 21 shoes - in Casual style for Everyday - morning light - slicari's blog - Chictopia
Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

OMG this thread is so fun.
I love it.
Thanks you guys, I really needed that.

I just want to add my non-wardrobe advice: Transformy, please remember: NO ONE is superior to you. Not this guy, not AH, no one, no man, no human. Only your Higher Power.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Transformie...have a blast!!!!!

I've been busy and missing out on all the fun here. Great fun/feminine/sexy fashion advice from all of the above. Can't wait to hear what you decide to wear and how the date goes. I'm excited for you.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naive View Post
straight skirt, loose unbutton shirt, killer shoes. simple, elegant, feminine and sexy![/url]
Love it! This would look phenomenal on you transform! OK, just don't start singing "I'm too sexy for this skirt, too sexy for myself, just too sexy" or however it goes
Old 11-05-2010, 03:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

No internet!!

Ah! No one is superior to me, that's true (I'm a freaking LEO remember?) but I now have no internet at home and am missing all the fun!!!

I'm so happy to see everyone here chiming in. Thank you. I know we're here to work on our codie stuff, and I appreciate being able to come here and problem solve this way.

And, I appreciate that TC approves of this thread.

Did I tell you he's now going with me to my first paid speaking gig Saturday? A fundraiser downriver and they're freaking paying me. I'm so thrilled.

Anyway-I"m thinking of asking Wicked to come over to help and take pictures to post so you all can cluck at me. Seriously, I'm Seasonal Affective Disorder Girl and wear multiple layers so I don't go crazy in the cold winter. I wasn't kidding about all black, long underwear and turtleneck. That's what I live in all winter.

Also, I have problems with "dressing up" my business partner chided me and dresses me for our meetings -- "NO fishnet!!-because I wore fishnet once to a business meeting. I thought it was ok, long skirt over it. She told me to dress like a Jewish Librarian, which I've learned to do. I don't have the greatest fashion sense.

Now this. Great. I want to feel good, want to look great. I used to have my own special funky style back in the 80's when I had my dance company but now I"m a business owner and featured speaker at this fundraiser dinner. I want to look spectacular but not wacky-which is my fear.

ugh. This dating thing is sort of a hassle. I love myself just the way I am--that is until I have to go out on a date. Then I question my appearance. The good news is I know once I'm actually ON the date I'll be fine and have a blast. Plus I'll be speaking to this group, which is my element.

Where do I start? With the shoes? Tall Editor Man is VERY tall, so I can wear high heels (I'm 5'8") with long legs. I have huge clunky boots (black) with metal buckles that I love. But no fancy, pretty shoes like the ones Naive posted. I could peruse the second hand shops for something..

Almost everything I have is black.

And, I'm 46, remember. Not forever 21 :day6 which I'm ok with. I do have leggings (black) and skirts to wear over.

AaAAAAaaaaahhghghghghghg!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Also can I just say I thought you guys were going to chide me for going on a date when I'm not divorced yet.

Thank you for not giving me hell. I think I'm pretty level headed about this. About keeping the focus on me at least; what I want, who I am, etc. The getting dressed to go out thing is stressful and fun, but I am aware that I can be obsessive about relationships (gee ya think?) and am being very careful-especially when it's a high profile situation like this one.

I like that he's high profile. You should see the 5,000 word editorial he wrote for this weeks issue. . We think alike, and I've not found one person here in Michigan like him. So my hopes are high, but not expectation.

I'll keep doing the next right thing and release attachment to outcome.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

transform-OK, maybe we are turning this date into no fun. Not good.

This man is interested in you--not your clothes. Funk it up a little and have fun.

How abut craigslist--any in your area. I've gotten great clothes/shoes/boots from there.

And I am one to talk since I also live in the hinterlands. Sometimes I wear my wintersilks underwear under my long skirts! It's too freaking cold and I'm 5 years older than you and the last time I wore heels in the winter--well, I did not have to walk far.

Take a look at the venue and dress accordingly--for what feels comfortable for you (but still stay away from those mom clothes :0))

longer black skirt with the clunky boots--would that work or would that be a fashion no no. Layer a couple of tee shirts (do the tee shirt therapy thing) and toss on some funky accessories and viola-it's transformedmyself into someone who is still me but going on a date me.

I used to freak huge when I had to go to upper end events. Then I wound up with a closet full of 2 things--stuff I could wear to the neighborhoods I worked in without drawing attention to myself (was a criminal investigator and need to blend AND be able to run) OR opera wear. Never had anything in between so would try to dress up my 'hood clothes--funky boots, velvet and jewelry was what finally worked because I did not feel comfortable in some of the stuff that was out at the time-not my style. One of my favorite go out outfits right now is my favorite pair of jeans, a cool pair of boots and a long chocolate brown velvet duster--toss on some slinky top underneath and funky gems and viola.

So you know your style--if you are not comfortable with what you put on then you may not have fun. Fun is the whole point, right??

So when are all these engagements? You don't need to stress--the inside package of transfomyself is the best part!

I think we all started to live vicariously through you but it is also fun to see you having fun--so I got a little carried away because I was so excited for you.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Ooops, I am only grateful for the help you guys are offering! Not pressured or unappreciative. I do need help with my wardrobe! Multiple people IRL have told me this!

I'm going to quit being a crybaby and do this. I will transformywardrobe!!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

The speaking engagement is Saturday-benefit dinner, 150 attending so it's small.

I can wear funky to this and would like to. I have big clunky jewelry, a nosering, maybe do some hippie wear with the long flowing shirts like what Naive posted. Or multiple tee shirts.

It's been a dream of mine to dress more girlie. I've always been a tomboy, except during the "Madonna" days of the eighties when I had my dance company and wore fishnet under jean cut offs and my bra outside of my clothes. With combat boots. Oh yeah...
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
It's been a dream of mine to dress more girlie. I've always been a tomboy, except during the "Madonna" days of the eighties when I had my dance company and wore fishnet under jean cut offs and my bra outside of my clothes. With combat boots. Oh yeah...
Yeah, I was the female version of Billy Idol with some Annie Lennox tossed in. I remember right in the middle of this phase I was transferred to northern Wisconsin and was running all over the back woods in my tight black jeans, leather jacket, bleached spiked hair. I was one bit**in' babe.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Well. Maybe we need an eighties outfit.

I think I'll call Tall Smart Editor man and find out of he really IS going to wear his red plaid 70's suit..