SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Physical consequences of stress (banal, just hair loss & greying) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/212584-physical-consequences-stress-banal-just-hair-loss-greying.html)

notforgotten 11-04-2010 12:08 AM

Physical consequences of stress (banal, just hair loss & greying)

When I was with my ex, the last couple of years I noticed a lot more hair seemed to be coming out in the shower. This hasn't changed, 3 months after breakup.

I saw an Intervention show - really fascinated now, in the idea of addiction, now that I"m out of the reality - and an A's young wife had very thin hair.

I'm 34, but still... Am paranoid now that I might be going bald! I'm a lady! (Well, female, anyway.)

Also, out of nowhere, my first ever grey hairs popped up. They're a couple of inches long. This didn't happen to my parents, this young... Apparently there's truth to the idea this can be accelerated by stress.

Also I feel I've aged quite a lot - have massive bags under what used to be pretty eyes. With permanently dilated blood vessels from crying. Not meaning to depress anyone if they've got the same. Things like this are a joke to fix, compared with these relationships and the real suffering...

But, has anyone else lost or greyed hair?

-------

I can't believe the amount of regular agitation I lived with. I cried every other day. I was frightened. Vigilant. Literally nauseous & dizzy with anger, at least once a week. (And that could last 1-3 days straight, because if I were a little angry about something, he' have to top it with rage, abuse, run away, or hide, and definitely drink. Those were the options. Talking didn't work.)

I honestly don't know how long things went that way, at that frequency - I guess 2 solid years. Happened less often but regularly enough before that.

And all these emotions prime your hormones etc for more of the same, so there's a cumulative effect. Your blood pressure doesn't settle, your chemical soup is all stirred up, and something else happens to get it all worked up again, no rest.

Until I quit smoking, I'd choke it all back with cigarettes, that was all.

-----

Have other consequences, just feeling vain...

-----

One great thing. Since I left, I've been sad, anxious, angry. But it's felt NORMAL, just part of human experience. No longer an overwhelming, incapacitating wave of sheer bilious fear. In some ways, I feel braver than I ever have.

---

FYI - I've since learned that our dynamic would fall under the rubric of 'situational couple violence', according to sociologists anyway. He'd smash things, break chairs, doors; was verbally abusive in arguments or when drunk. This isn't the same as the classic abusive relationship we all know and don't love, which is called 'intimate terrorism', and involves a much more pervasive pattern of domination (behaviours include jealousy, cutting the partner off from friends/family, controlling money).
---

Sorry, this is way rambly.

naive 11-04-2010 02:19 AM

i had a friend who was so traumatized, that all her hair fell out. she was young. stress definately takes a toll on the body.

i'm glad you are away from the stress now.

try to give your body some good nutrition by juicing fruits and vegetables and drinking them everyday. this will improve your hair. when i started juicing daily, all the grey hairs fell out (not too many of them yet, but some) and new healthy hair grew back in.

i also think that quality rest is important.

take care of yourself in all ways...good fresh food, daily exercise, sunlight and rest.

TatliGuzelim 11-04-2010 03:21 AM

Lots of hair loss in 2009 - which made washing my hair very unpleasant. I take biotin (a supplement) and use a brand of shampoo and conditioner which, I read, was originally created for cancer patients. It seems to be correcting itself this year. From everything I read, unless you have a specific condition, stress and medication related hair loss is reversible when the stressful situation or medication is changed.

As far as the grey goes.....I say the Serenity Prayer and hit the salon once a month :) I noticed strands of grey in my hair while I was in my 20s before AXBF was in my life.

transformyself 11-04-2010 03:52 AM

Whoa, thank you for this

I can't believe the amount of regular agitation I lived with. I cried every other day. I was frightened. Vigilant. Literally nauseous & dizzy with anger, at least once a week. (And that could last 1-3 days straight, because if I were a little angry about something, he' have to top it with rage, abuse, run away, or hide, and definitely drink. Those were the options. Talking didn't work.)
yep, that was me too..but I didn't lose my hair, just over ate and cheated myself..

TakingCharge999 11-04-2010 04:44 AM

If you paint your hair at home, may I suggest organic hair tint? They are way more expensive than drugstore ones, but they leave the hair in better condition, where the others ruin it and are too aggressive. Organic tints are also environmentally friendly. I love how they treat my hair and leave it with more volume. Organic stores sometimes have an area for beauty products.

Daily multivitamin has made a difference for me. Arnica & jojoba-based shampoos are great, too. Relaxation techniques are also great :)

Learn2Live 11-04-2010 05:04 AM

My hair was coming out in clumps last year from stress. My doctor checked my thyroid and found nothing wrong. My SIL told me take folic acid supplements. I also used Pantene 'full body' shampoo, which didnt fix anything, just made me feel like my hair wasnt as thin as it was. Slowly, the hair stopped falling out. I agree too with naive about getting good sleep. Msn Health has a good article on how to get better sleep.

NYC_Chick 11-04-2010 08:07 AM

I never lost hair, but was a hair stylist before my current profession and have seen it happen. Take a strong multi vitamin. Stress related hair loss is usually reversable.

Thumper 11-04-2010 08:23 AM

Yes my hair fell out like crazy. It has since stopped. I do have some grays but probably age related on that one since they keep on coming - darn it ;)

I had other physical symptoms. My legs itched like crazy no matter how much lotion I slathered on. That has gone away. My eyes twitched, that has gone away. My blood pressure was up despite the meds. I have chronic high blood pressure anyway but it is now regulated with the same dose of medication. I had nonstop yeast infections for the first time in my life. OMG - talk about driving a person insane. I swear to the heavens that alone should be grounds for divorce. They have gone away!! I have trouble with chronic headaches and they were almost daily. Now they are only a few days a month (hormonal I imagine). There are probably more things if I thought about it but there is no doubt in my mind that intense, chronic stress results in physical symptoms.

sapphire69 11-04-2010 09:18 AM

Oh the physical symptoms I have experienced from the last 20 years of stress..I have hair loss, grey hair, migraines, tremors and have been hospitalized with no diagnosis to attribute most of it to except stress. My adrenal glands work over time leaving my body in a constant state of fight or flight response. The toaster pops up and I jump out of my skin!

notforgotten 11-06-2010 01:10 PM

Sorry for not having replied sooner...

Thanks all for sharing your experiences. Am heartened that this may be temporary.

Thanks too for the reminder about sensible - maybe even pleasurable - self-care. Can't really do much to move forward if the foundation of physical well-being isn't established, and sure won't look good either!

I'll have a look into juicing/blending, naive... thanks for that.

Much better to focus on doing, rather than ruminating on lost years & wasted emotions.

boskerbear 11-06-2010 02:57 PM

I lost tons of hair too and think im still losing some. I'm 28 and its completely noticeable! I tried using nioxin, it didnt work, so i bought a product called dermmatch. You basically colour your scalp the same shade as your hair so there is no scalp showing through. Works great. However if any more hair falls out i dont know what i'll do!

I also gained quite a bit of belly weight. The worst kind! I read that high cortisol levels from stress will cause that to happen. Fun Fun....

Oh and like Thumper...i got lots of yeast infections too. Ahhh the joy of being female and stressed!