Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

There's no way I can make it until the end of the school year here.

There's no way I can make it until the end of the school year here.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I do have the hotline numbers. I don't really think it's bad enough at this point for me to be running off to other parts of the country, especially when I know I can get a decent(IE:can pay the bills without worrying about child support, it'd be tight, but I could do it) job right here. It's just a matter of me being able to get things done, which at the moment I am not fully capable of doing due to finances(it is a 40 mile round trip to "town" a tank of gas costs $35, and no, there aren't any programs here in my small town that can help out)

I'm working on it, and as I said, while I had hoped to make it thru the school year, so as to avoid that hassle, it is now apparent that it's not going to work. I'm hoping to be able to stay until taxes come(should be able to get them filed and back by beginning of February)so that I can use them to help me move out. If circumstances change and I can't stay that long, then I won't.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great news on the gas money! I know what it's like to count every penny and pay for groceries with spare change. Don't worry about what he's up to. Focus on the task at hand and that's getting some money coming in. You can do this!!

Wishing you success today

Alice
Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
I suggested to mine that she should switch to vodka, she was on that like white on rice. Funny, all those years I spent trying to get her to stop, and in the end all I wanted was for her to "get on with it", and just achieve unconsciousness.
Good lord coyote, that hit me like a ton of bricks. Thanks for posting that, I think lol.. and now I go process..
Sorry for the temporary hijack!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This reminds me of all the years I wished my wife would die...

...or that I would have the stones to leave her. I too wanted to find a way to accelerate her finding her bottom. At the time very little would have made me happier.

That said, I'm glad now, many years later, that she didn't die and I didn't leave her. I'm also glad I didn't have to face the guilt from those feelings had she died.

I'm as shocked as anybody that she appears to have put her life back together, and that by all appearances she has been in active AA recovery and sustained sobriety for four months (a record by far). I keep in mind always that each day of sobriety could be her last, but as each day goes on I'm worrying about it less and less, and living more and more for the day.

I forgot what a cool chick she is, why I enjoyed her company so much, what a loving mom she can be to our daughter, and why I thought she was so beautiful. God I hope it lasts and that this isn't some cruel, cosmic practical joke. I'm getting too old to deal with this sh**, and daughter simply doesn't need any more trauma than she's already had to experience.

Fingers crossed and staying on my side of the fence...

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
I suggested to mine that she should switch to vodka, she was on that like white on rice. Funny, all those years I spent trying to get her to stop, and in the end all I wanted was for her to "get on with it", and just achieve unconsciousness.

It saved a ton of "beer money" and did the "trick". No more pesky half awake, slurring, staggering, pi$$ing herself, drunk to deal with. Out like a light. Priceless.

It was much more efficient as well, often times she was able to fit two drunks into the same day. Drink for a few hours in the AM, pass out for 6 or so hours, wake up and drink a few more hours, pass back out.

But I do remember the years before I "wised up", 5'4" about a buck ten, a case of beer a day, no food, and she just wouldn't go down. Ah, good times.

Maybe it would work for your situation as well?

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
This is good. What does properly look like to you?
Ah ha..properly to me is having an apartment ready when I leave, having a plan on getting out with the least amount of nonsense from him. Properly is not having to rely on a parent who attacks ME when I say that my drunk husband has kicked me and the kids out of the house. Properly is not having to sit for hours at social services, only to be told you can't get any help. Properly is not having to sit and cry, talking to the counselor at the woman's shelter, only to have her tell you that there is no room for you and your kids. Properly is not, in a feeling of major defeat and depression, trudge back to AH because I have no other choice.

That is what properly looks like to me.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Pix,
You sound like you are "strong like bull!" Ha Ha
I love your attitude! You really are a strong woman and I am going to pray for you every day. I can see the day that you will be free!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you, last years incident taught me a lot, so that's the one positive outcome to come from it.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

We learn from our mistakes. Quote from Mother Teresa (not verbatim)
"God only gives us what we can handle, I wish God didn't have such a high opinion of me!