OT life regenerator, raw food / healthy cooking recipes

Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OT life regenerator, raw food / healthy cooking recipes

This is a new thread after hijacking bookwyrm's thread

We are talking about this guy and his recipes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaznB...eature=channel

So, naive, that juicer you have, also processes carrot ? is it difficult to clean ?

I have nothing but a normal blender, but am interested in those veggie juices - I always eat the same vegetables and am ready to add new vitamins to the mix! Also I LOVE carrot juice but don't have the special machine.

I may start saving to get those.

Do you like salsa? over here we use a "molcajete" which has been used for centuries here, and is still used. Do you know green salsa (green tomatoes?) ? are they available where you live?

As I am allergic to corn I have prepared tacos using lettuce instead of tortillas, and instead of meat or chicken I use mashed potato. Bath with green or red salsa and its a very tasty meal, cruelty-free!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I hope I can get pics of that soon. I am all inspired now. Thanks, naive.

Preparing decent meals for oneself is homework enough to keep the mind off depressing stuff.

You said:
Had a juice for breakfast today: cucumber, 3 apples, 2 carrots, whole clump of parsley, chard and a lemon.

What is clump?? what is parsley?? what is chard?? need the dictionary now
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ahh I got parsley and chard now.... I do not like them... BUT, perhaps I like them mixed with other flavors
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi tc!

ok, the basic idea is to juice raw leafy greens and throw in some fruit to make it sweet and yummy. the healing comes from the dark greens, more so than the fruit.

i got the same juicer as dan-the-man and it rocks. i had a cheap juicer and that didn't work out very well at all...too much mess.

the juicer dan recommends just grinds through anything. i've put in watermelon with the rind, whole lemons, whole stalks of celery...no problem...

since i've started (about 6 months ago) i no longer need to use moisturizer on my skin, my hair is shinier, the grey hairs fell out and new ones grew in and my eyes are brighter.

the basic idea is that since the fruit is ALIVE, the energy of the fruit heals...

i've done a lot of research and juicing vegetables has healed people of heart dieseae, diabetes, liver problems, skin problems...the list goes on and on.

but moreso, is how it makes me feel. it gives me a lot of energy.

anyway, you are in good hands with dan-the-man.

regarding your breakfast smoothie, i would eliminate the milk, linseed, protein powder and chocolate. that only leaves the banana! ha ha.

put in only things which are ALIVE.

so, if you are just working with a blender for now, you could put in your banana, a whole bunch of raw spinach and throw in some berries or something like that.

you have great fruit in mexico, so it should be easy for you.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi tc,

any dark green leafy vegetable will do. it doesn't have to be parsley or chard, i just use those because i have them in my garden. it doesn't matter if you don't like the taste of them, the fruit will hide the bitterness. no one really eats a whole clump of parsley, but you can get it down if you juice it.

naive
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Haha only the banana!! so what is wrong with soy milk ?? and linseeds?? I thought linseeds were healthy ?? damn!! lol.

And what is the take on nuts/almonds? I usually add them to the smoothies. Just a few, 5-10 tops.

Gladly we have many fruits over here all year long, something I hadn't realized until I went to Europe! my favorites are mangoes.

Allergic to spinach as well :| why can't I be allergic to bad people ??? well, now I am!

Yes, those vegetables I have problems with.... fruits, I love fruits... but vegetables? perhaps I can just take a bunch of them and try them out.

Yes over here there are many diseases that are cured with herbs/vegetables as many people don't have money for imported fancy medicines, that have herb extracts in them anyway. And regarding prevention culture, its non-existant (guess that doesn't make money..)

Looking forward to the energy.... THAT I need...

RE skin, avocado smoothens the skin and repairs hair as nothing else does... and cucumber is good for oliy face types.... so you eat something local, alive and use the rest for beauty... can't lose, and its ecologically friendly and cheaper than commercial products.

I'll look that juicer up, perhaps even order it via Internet? yes, the food processors I have known, are super messy and don't work well.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Incredible how I never thought of mixing them to get the taste of one and the benefits of the other... its so great you got your own garden.. !

I have some cilantro seeds. I may plant them and wish for the best.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the take on seeds and nuts is that they must be soaked in order to release the enzymes and aid in their digestion. soak them for about 4 hours in pure water. humans can't really digest seeds and nuts otherwise, it just clogs up the intestines.

to make a dip for your raw vegetables...soak some almonds and sesame seeds. throw them in the blender with some coconut milk. add some spices, maybe garlic and ginger. blend that up on high.

chop up carrots, brocoli, cucumber or whatever and eat with your dip.

you can also use soaked seeds to make tahini (soaked sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon and garlic).
Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

so, what is wrong with soy milk
the problem with soy milk is that it is pasturized, which means that it is heated to a temperature greater than 120 degrees farenheit, which essesntially robs it of all of its nutrition. plus, they put preservatives in it.

same with cow's milk, plus, nowadays they are pumping the cows full of steroids and hormones, which end up in the milk and then end up in our body.

i was reading today of a little 10 year old who just birthed a baby in spain. when i read it, i immeidately thought of all hormones they pump into cows that end up in milk products. as a result, modern day girls are reaching puberty earlier and earlier.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
I have some cilantro seeds. I may plant them and wish for the best.
I love cilantro - especially in homemade salsa! (My sister's - because it's so much better than mine and easier than making it myself Seriously, she gets the blend of veggies, etc., perfect, mine is never quite what I wanted.)

Originally Posted by naive View Post
to make a dip for your raw vegetables...soak some almonds and sesame seeds. throw them in the blender with some coconut milk. add some spices, maybe garlic and ginger. blend that up on high.
Originally Posted by naive View Post
you can also use soaked seeds to make tahini (soaked sesame seeds, olive oil, lemon and garlic).
Naive, these both sound delicious.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks naive! will soak my nuts! why doesn't anyone tell you this.Should be pretty basic. I like to toast them or just plain...

About milk products, I have noticed they bloat me, so I try to avoid them as much as I can. The trouble is with cheese. I love cheese. Perhaps just minimize its intake while I get used to feeling better.. I also feel bad about the cows and how they treat them and keep them in small areas....

So I suppose any milk is out, even "almond" milk..? and with what do you eat your cereal, then?? just water?? lol

Did you know the guy was a drug addict? I just saw about his motivations and its really motivating to see someone growing out of the old ways.

At least today I bought a huge lettuce, and no chocolates!!

Theuncertainty, everyone's salsa is different, lol. I just chop red tomatoes, put cilantro and some lemon or lime.. over here we got green tomatoes so we boil them, add onion, garlic, salt, blend it and it makes a great green salsa!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Coconult milk.. not sure I have seen that... oh, perhaps where the alcohol is sold...

I am all excited about trying your recipes, thanks naive.

Do you save juice for later ? I heard it loses nutrients ...
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ha! Enjoyed being perplexed by the intro to that video.

I flirted with juicing in the past, but was persuaded against it by the argument that the processing reduces fibre intake (unless you find it elsewhere).

Is that a valid concern? I dislike most fruits (but love greens) - drinking em would be nice. Need as much fibre as I can get (sorry, really sorry).
Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi tc-

almond milk is fine IF YOU MAKE IT YOURSELF. almond milk that you buy, again, has been heated to preserve it and will loose most of its nutritional value.

to make almond milk, start with RAW almonds, soak for 4 hours. throw in the blender and blend. then put the contents in a cheese cloth bag and squeeze out the liquid.

or, you could hang the cheese cloth bag over your sink, and let it drain into a bowl.

the liquid is the milk.

with the remaining blob of almond stuff, take that out, mix in some spices (i like garlic and onions and paprika) and mix it up.

this is your almond cheese. eat with fresh vegetables. yummy!

as for dairy cheese products, really not good for you. independent of the hormones and steroids pumped into the animals, dairy products cause mucus to build up in your body and clog up sinus and stuff.

naive
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi notforgotten-

flirted with juicing in the past, but was persuaded against it by the argument that the processing reduces fibre intake (unless you find it elsewhere).

Is that a valid concern? I dislike most fruits (but love greens) - drinking em would be nice.
nope, not a valid concern.

jucicing vegetables actually cleans up the digestional track. if you are having issues with digestion, a couple of days on vegetable juices only would go a long way to cleaining out your system and improving elimination of waste from your body.

what happens is that food cooked in oils, meats, processed foods get stuck in one's GI tract. it gets coated with saturated fat, and therefore, nutrition from the food you are eating can't really get into the body.

a couple of days on juices only would help move that waste out of your body. a colonic would help too.

after your detox, you can continue to use juice daily, but add raw fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds and watch your skin glow! and your eyes brighten! and the weight fall off.

the juices are best on an empty stomach, so that the nutrients can go straight into your body. you will feel the energy boost about 1/2 an hour later. your body doesn't have to do any work breaking down and digesting the juice, so none of that tired feeling we get after eating a heavy meal.

if you could let me know why you need fiber, perhaps i could give a more helpful answer.

if you still want fiber, you could always do green smoothies instead of juice. all of the fiber is retained in a smoothie (use your blender or vitamix). the main idea is to get the vegetables into your body in RAW UNCOOKED FORMAT. even blending them would go along way to assisting your body's digestion.

green smoothie: one banana, milk of one coconut, bunch of spinach...blend!

naive
Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hi tc-

coconut milk is the milk from the young green coconut. if a cocunt is brown and hairy, it is a mature coconut. there is only waler inside the unripened coconut.

(let me know if you need help learning how to open a coconut)

use the water in your smoothies, and scoop out the meat and throw that in also.

this is a good source of fat, as opposed to saturated animal fat, such as butter, cream, etc.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

and with what do you eat your cereal, then?? just water?? lol
i don't eat cereal. it's not good for you...just read the ingredient list...

better to start the day with a big bowl of fruit...i like a green juice in the morning...followed by 2 or 3 mangos an hour later...that does the job and sets me up for the day.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

tc-

yes, you can prepare your juices ahead of time. they will keep for 3 days if refrigerated. i prefer fresh juice, as it tastes better. it does loose a tiny bit of nutrition as it sits, but it's nothing to concern yourself with.

if i'm making a juice in the morning, i make my morning juice. put that aside. then i keep juicing, and make my juices for the rest of the day. to this, i add a whole lemon in...the lemon helps keep it fresh..

put the xtra juice in a glass jars. take to work. drink it! feel great all day!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

naive I love to bug you about this!! just watch us back n forth talking abt US and healthy stuff!! HAH!! we r the BESTEST!!!! :ghug3
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i'm very enthusiastic about this, tc. ask away, it's a pleasure to share with you.

oh, hey, we forgot about xABFs for a minute there and are focusing on US.