OT life regenerator, raw food / healthy cooking recipes

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

hi chicory-

sure, you can start eating raw fruits and vegetables without a juicer. just eat them. simple.

for example, buy 10 bananas and eat 5 of them in one sitting. lunch!

i like a big salad once a day. i make my own dressing (honey, lemon juice, olive oil, apple cidar vinegar and a drop of soy sauce)...

my favorite salad : whole head of romaine lettuce, one avacodo, red onion and tomotos, carrot slivers. toss well with dressing. delicious!

try a mini detox....eat only fruits and vegetables for 3 days. see how you feel. eat as much as you want. eat all day if you want to.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Naive - what do you eat for protein?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
I love cilantro - especially in homemade salsa! (My sister's - because it's so much better than mine and easier than making it myself Seriously, she gets the blend of veggies, etc., perfect, mine is never quite what I wanted.)

Naive, these both sound delicious.
cilantro is great but DO NOT juice an amount larger than a 1/4 cup/
It's a natural chelator and will make you feel ILL because it will detox the mentals fast and you will go into what's called a herx mode.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notforgotten View Post
Hi, just following up - I was diagnosed with IBS some years ago, but never managed to pursue it properly. I've found much less disturbance when I limit bread and the like (but I get knots, or something, when I've tried to cut out bread/pasta/rice completely... I now eat brown/whole wheat versions of these.

Have found quickly increasing my fruit consumption to aggravate symptoms... but introducing at least one blend or juice a day might be a good thing - will try it!

Grateful to have your knowledge available to us here, and for your generosity in offering it.
IBS has many causes and is not an illness but a symptom of other aggrevators.

If you found less issues when you cut out bread, rice and pastas, it could be you have gluten sensitivity.
Juicing for IBS is great, but a good cold source daily probiotic for the lower intestines is best.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

glad to have you on-board this thread, summer peach.

it sounds as if you have some experience in this area. great! are you a nutritionist?

i'm not a big fan of cilantro (corriander) in my juice, as i don't like the taste much, but
in general, i found with all of the dark greens, when i first started juicing, i couldn't really stomach much of them. i built up slowly but now i crave them and put huge quantities in my juice.

in my experience, your body knows and if you listen to it, you will naturally crave certain types of juices. for example, sometimes i just want only watermelon juice. another time, i'll want a lot of dark greens. i think when we come off of the processed foods, we begin to hear our body's intuition as to what it needs.

for some reason, i always want a big glass of grapefruit juice everyday. this has been going on for about 6 months now. no idea why, but i feel i must be low in something...maybe vitamin C?

there are some herbs, like sage, that i use just a litle bit of in my juices as i read not to input it in big quantities.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

hi tjp-

there is protein in dark leafy greens, but i do eat a bit of shellfish or eggs. i don't eat it very often, but my body does crave it sometimes and when it does, i eat maybe 2 eggs or i throw some shrimp into my salad.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

thanks
I've been studying naturopathic healing for close to 3 yrs and am 6 months away from my naturopathic cert. I'm also an apprentice to an ND at a clinic.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Wow... just wanted to tell you guys that I LOVE this thread!!! Very, very interesting, informative and inspirational!

I gotta start eating healthier and don't seem have a lot of energy these days. I don't have a juicer, but a blender and I guess healthy smoothies must be better than nothing at all!? Never thought of drinking dark greens... and greens is something I really need to eat more of (hardly eat them ). So can I use dark greens in a blender too, when mixed with fruits or does that not taste as good as when you use them in a juicer?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

hi lotus-

sure, begin with a blender. start off your day with a green smoothie and see how you feel.

green smoothie: banana, pure water, bag of spinach, some berries, blend on high.

drink it.

repeat every morning.

see how you feel.

i assure you, you will feel energized.

body, mind and spirit = path to recovery.

naive
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

summerpeach-

please, share your knowledge with us.

naive
Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi I am back to this thread

naive, I need to save a LOT to get that juicer, but its one of my priorities! I also think, a blender does a good work too, I mean it is just about putting the ingredients in a way that is more attractive right.. as long as you get them in your system -salad, juicer, blender, smoothie - it is all good

I watched a video about the guy saying we all can make healthier changes, small steps so it is a real long term lifestyle change not going all veggie for 3 days then back to the bad habits.

naive, I also hear you about listening to our bodies, I can see the difference between having a donut for breakfast or a carrot juice (I LOVE carrot). I also believe the body is wise as I put my sight under a lot of stress so I guess its my way to get more vitamin A!! even if we keep eating what we "like" just observing how the body responds to it is enough motivation.

My dad's wife eats 90% healthy and allows 10% for chocolate, chips, etc. that works. Or also eat healthy all week then Sunday is SPOILED DAY and you can eat whatever/whenever in vast amounts. What I have found doing that is that I feel and look much better so Sunday comes and I STILL chose healthy!

I have also ignored dark green stuff with the exception of cilantro... guess I will just grab whatever I see that is dark green next time I go to the supermarket and try it!! duH!!

The funny thing is that on my way home I went to the small local store and bought an apple, a pear, jicama, a lemon, lettuce and the owner told me "you will eat very healthy today! congrats!!" he also had lent me a spiritual DVD... lol, who would have thought. He is an old man and I see peace in his eyes! he also looks healthy. I mean just by seeing a person you can know so many things...

I also was under the impression one should not mix fruits and vegetables but I see it is done often.. perhaps it was a myth?? again I'll just see how I feel.

My protein still comes from soy milk, fish, and grains. Beans+rice are excellent combination for complete protein that is the same quality as red meat but without the toxins (and the cruelty). Cheaper, too.

During the morning I bought a juice made out of grapefruit+pineapple+apple and I have been in a good mood during boring chores. I love eating the pulp too. Sometimes the stomach does not like it at first but with time I have also found it responds better and gets used to it.... just like dating when one is used to having NOTHING in return or really bad things, but after a while of feeling good and making different choices you start getting hooked to healthy gentlemen AND healthy food.

In Texas I recall the "whole foods store", wish we had something like that here!! but we have tons of locally-grown, diff fruits+vegetables all year so, I am lucky anyway.

Thanks for the thread and now I am off to prepare my salad

PS My new place only has a fridge, so perhaps the universe is trying to tell me to eat less fried stuff and more natural uncooked things!! I am totally on board.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naive View Post
summerpeach-

please, share your knowledge with us.

naive
Sure, what would you like me to share?!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

summerpeach-

well, i'm struggling right now with healthy options for shampoo...are there any natural things that would work? i'm looking for something i could make myself...

tc-

i must admit, that i much prefer juice to smoothie. i only use my blender to blend nuts and seeds. i don't drink smoothies myself, i drink juice. i don't know why, maybe just me.

and yes, for me, it is indeed a lifestyle change. i only recommended to chicory that she try it out for 3 days, as even in that short period of time, she would feel renewed energy.

it has taken me some time to transition to raw...there was a lot to learn...had to rethink everything...

but i feel so much better and its very easy to maintain my weight now...and i have a lot more power and strength...

i find i need to eat or drink something every few hours...in the beginning, i didn't eat enough and i was hungry...for me, if i remember to keep drinking juice, i am fine...if i eat a salad, i eat a HUGE salad...it's not uncommon for me to eat two whole heads of lettuce in my salad...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

The only thing I can suggest for healthy options of hair products is to find natural product in health food stores.
My schooling doesn't include any chemistry to products so I would not know any home-made recipes for shampoos.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

So, I had an apple and blended it with some water, chia and lettuce. Given my mobility limitations- and money situation!- that's all I have. The color was not that attractive so I solved that pouring it in a sports container. Even as plain as it sounds, it tasted good and felt so fresh and cleansing. Can't wait to try more things! liferegenerator would be proud of me, lol... something so simple but it feels like a huge step.

So, I read somewhere avocado was good for hair. I will test with myself and let you know the results lol. I also used the tomato+sugar and my skin feels way better! Not sure why we don't know about this stuff earlier. I mean, we buy really expensive stuff with chemicals that travels all the way from Europe just to find the active ingredient grows in our country... but I guess realizing this is not convenient for the big companies...
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

yeah, can't say the juices LOOK good...mine end up a bright green color...but my body always loves them...

good start on the smoothies, tc. try to get one in you every morning to set you up for the day.

i'm drinking my morning juice right now...bag of spinach, one pommegranite, 4 apples, one cucumber, bunch of parsley. looks awful but tastes great!

i think there is a lot of resistence to raw food because of all the money made in the death, opps, health industry. i was reading yesterday that the national breat cancer week is funded by an large estrogen pharmaceutical company. they promote mammograms and self-examinations...mammograms are radiation, which actually cause cancer...couln't help but see the irony of it all.

oh, and since we are talking about breast cancer, i would advise not to use deoderant, which is full of chemicals and sprayed/rolled onto your skin right above the lymph nodes. dan says his arm pitts smell like grapefruits. ha ha.

naive
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Now I feel guilty for eating quesadillas.

Yesterday as well, instead of eating 3 quesadillas, I ate 2 and sliced jicama FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE and replaced the 3rd quesadilla with jicama.

Yes. That I can do. Slowly move to healthier choices.

Today I don't have anything left. May need to walk get more apples. OK I have never gone anywhere just to get apples.

I sent the chips and salsa video to my sister. She is hooked now. She is pregnant.
As S has spent a while here he was also interested in tasting those new "juices" I am making. Unfortunately for him, I drank it all!

So its 4 of us feeling better now... its just like he says, works like a domino.. looking forward to prepare the kid smoothies for my niece! ok he or she hasn't even born yet and I'm already planning the breakfast and yoga, lol.

The hot springs videos are so calming.

I use beet as "blush"- well not beet directly -haven't tried that- but a beet-based product I found at a nature shop...

Thanks for the deodorant recommendation! I was worried about the waste- I am officially a Greenpeace volunteer+donor and I receive a magazine that talked about that- so I already have a crystal thingie that lasts months and months and works...

Interestingly enough when I exercised I did not smell that bad anyway LOL, I believe it has a lot to do with what one eats. When I went to Seoul it was funny because in the airport there was a kind of garlic odor, then I realized it was the Korean people, as they all eat A LOT of garlic and their skin starts to smell like it! funny! but I got to eat garlic in pills, as it doesn't agree that well with my stomach.

Since I take vitamins+ginko biloba my mood is way better. Varicose vains--- ginko+garlic have made me forget the pain I used to have in my legs and I believe they don't look as bad as before, even when I haven't exercised at ALL lately.

I am more hooked. Can't wait for the juicer and my car and my health so I can just go to some supermarket and buy all the veggies I was afraid of before liferegenerator and naive. Too bad I am allergic to spinach!!

PS Did you watch the video where they do a smoothie with banana and strawberries? I love that combination... also one more thing, how much time does one need to soak the almonds... ?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Sorry my last post was all about ME! LOL!

Naive I got insomnia... glad you are starting out your day fresh and healthy and unclogged!! with the polar winds coming over here I also don't want to start with colds+flu, etc. So far I have done well!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

PPS I also remember he said ginger for circulation was like magic! my sister believes it gives you much strength and endurance.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

hi tc-

soak the nuts/seeds for 4 hours, or even overnight in pure water. throw the water away afterwards.

and yes, for me, it was and still is an evolution.

just ate my lunch salad: romaine lettuce, cucumber, red onion, tiny tomatos and black olives with a vinegrette dressing. i threw in a tiny bit of feta cheese (sorry dan). delicious!

i think i've watched every single liferegenerator video. he helps me on so many different levels and keeps me inspired to perservere.

naive