# 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Codependency & love addiction

Not sure if I am allowed to post external links.. I hope I am:

I came across this site

CoDependency & Love Addiction

Glimpse:

Core Symptoms of Codependency

1.Difficulty loving the self (self esteem)

2.Difficulty protecting oneself by functional boundaries with others.

3.Difficulty knowing one’s reality and owning it.

4.Difficulty with self-care.

5.Difficulty expressing one’s reality in moderation.

################################################## #

5 Secondary Symptoms of Codependency

1.Negative control: controlling others or allowing others to control them. Both choices cause a codependent to project responsibility on to others for their own inability to be internally comfortable within themselves.

2.Resentment: Blaming others for the inability to protect themselves with healthy boundaries.

3.Impaired spirituality: Makes someone else their Higher Power through hate, fear, or worship. Or tries to be someone else's Higher Power.

4.Addictions, or mental illness or physical illness. This inability to face reality stems from lack of functional internal sense of self and sense of adequacy. There is a desire to be taken care of.

5.Difficulty with intimacy. When a codependent has difficulty knowing who s/he is, and what her reality is, s/he cannot share in a healthy way since intimacy means sharing one’s reality. When one does not share, there is no way to check out immature perceptions, so codependent continues to have painful problems in relationship with others. Codependents often try to fix or change a partner, justify themselves, argue about the other person’s reality, abuse the partner with sarcasm, ridicule, name calling, exaggeration, or so-called “honesty”.

################################################## #

Abandonment and Difficulty Connecting

Love Addicts did not bond well with their original caregivers when they were young children, experiencing a serious sense of abandonment. The message was, “Because you are worthless and unlovable, I will not care for you”.

This kind of neglect and early loss creates low self-esteem and exaggerated longing. Emotional needs are immense. Love Addicts have enormous fear about being able to connect emotionally.

################################################## ###################

This was eye opening to me. Exaggerated longing oh man do I identify with this!!

################################################## #########

"Emotional needs are immense"

I hadn't realized this about myself. Now that I do, I asked the therapist how to heal that incredible void. She said "fill it with yourself. Touch your body at night as if you were a baby... your toes.. your arms... your face. Talk to you in a loving manner even if it feels uneasy or false at first. Find what you enjoy and do it , and do it more, and find what is beautiful and tasty and enjoy it without guilt, seek it out, seek it often..."

################################################## ##

Love Addicts are often attracted to Avoidance Addicts

Avoidance Addicts are not available for a relationship even if they pretend to be. They are often focused on addictions such as drug and alcohol use, work, or sexual affairs.

How can a Love Addict expect one who is avoiding intimacy to take care of them?

################################################## ##

Codie/alkie, avoidance/love addicts, the same sad dance of misery.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I decided to add the rest because it rang sooooooooo true for me.. Very disturbing to see someone lay it out like that, describing me EXACTLY... ugh!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Repeating Cycle of Love Addicts in Relationship

1.First the Love Addict is attracted to the power and adulation of the Avoidance Addict (or another Love Addict).

2.Fantasy is triggered and the Love Addict feels high. "It's karma, destiny, fate, we're soulmates."

3.The Love Addict feels relief from the pain of loneliness, emptiness and not mattering.

4.The Love Addict begins to enmesh with the partner, showing more neediness. Partner starts to move away, but Love Addict denies the reality of being abandoned by partner. This denial protects against the agony of rejection and abandonment.

5.Eventually the Love Addict begins to be aware of the abandonment, and denial crumbles. May rage and get hysterical; may bargain, threaten. Extreme focus on partner; must know or think about what partner is doing at all times. Some will stalk, or obsessively call or textmessage. Others endure like silent martyrs. May call partner's boss, announce to others to gain sympathy. May dress more seductively, go on vacation with partner, have affairs, showing extreme neediness to lure partner back. Relationship becomes more and more toxic.

6.Love Addict enters withdrawal. (Avoidance Addict fares better – just leaves). Love Addict’s original feelings of childhood are activated along with adult feelings of current abandonment. Pain, fear, anger, jealousy, emptiness, overwhelm, hopelessness. Extremely intense depression and suicidal feelings. Fear becomes anxiety and panic. Anger becomes frustration, rage, or homicidal jealousy. As a result of this loss, the Love addict may also face loss of income, house, being a single parent. Love Addict may be so overwhelmed that s/he goes into withdrawal or jumps to next point in cycle, obsession. This behavior shifts them outside of their painful feelings.

7.Love Addict now obsesses how to get the Avoidance Addict to return; or dreams about being rescued; or fantasizes about having a better lover; or ruminates how to get even with the Avoidance Addict partner; or contemplates indulging in another addiction like food or drugs to numb the pain; or plans another sexual encounter with a new partner to avoid being alone.

8.Love Addict now compulsively acts out the obsessive plans. Get drugs, food at 2am. Burn partner’s clothes. Go and beg partner to return, threaten suicide. Take overdose of pills. Kill partner, children and self. Go get laid.

9.Repeat cycle either with the returning partner or the ensnared new partner.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

Progressive Stages of Love Addiction are Similar to Other Addiction Patterns

1.Increasing tolerance of inappropriate behavior from others
“Well he only hit me 3 times and I didn’t get many bruises.”
“She was only out once overnight this week.”
" I only threw the telephone.”

2.Greater Dependence
Surrender more and more responsibility to the other party.
Have them handle papers, make appointments, pick up children because “I just can’t remember”

3.Decrease In Self Care: Grooming declines, baggy clothes, disheveled look.

4.Numbness To Feelings. “I’m ok, fine” But they’re feeling pain, anger, fear, shame, jealously

5.Feeling Trapped or Stuck
Helpless to fix the relationship.
Helpless to escape pain by ending relationship.
Lost the ability to care for and value self.
Increasing despair, disillusionment, depression.
Loss of power, Loss of ability to respond.
Behavior can become bizarre.

6.The Final Stages
Feeling abused and becoming abusive.
Can only see out of a negative filter, missing the good things in partner.
Cannot see own immature irrational offensive behavior.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

(Avoidance Addict fares better – just leaves).

I resent XABF for faring better and just leaving and going on as if nothing happened.
Then again THAT is precisely AVOIDANCE...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I identify with almost all of what was posted above. Though NOTHING close to number 8:
Love Addict now compulsively acts out the obsessive plans. Get drugs, food at 2am. Burn partner’s clothes. Go and beg partner to return, threaten suicide. Take overdose of pills. Kill partner, children and self. Go get laid.
Thank you for posting. I can clearly see behaviors I USED TO have and behaviors I STILL have. It's helpful to see how far I've come and what I can focus on working on next..