SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Al-anon and Sponsors (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/211985-al-anon-sponsors.html)

BklynGrl 10-26-2010 08:02 PM

Al-anon and Sponsors

I've been going to al-anon for a couple of months now and have found it to be increasingly comforting. In fact I've been waiting for Wednesday (that's the regular meeting I attend) since Friday.

Anyway I'm starting to get the swing of it. But only thing I'm still unsure of is how to get a sponsor. I feel like I'm ready to take that next step, but don't really know how to go about it.

I imagine it'd be best to ask at the meeting, but generally I can only hang out for a few minutes before I have to rush back to work.

Oh and what exactly does it means to have a sponsor. I know we'd work on the steps, but how does that generally happen?

:c041:

keepinon 10-26-2010 08:06 PM

Find someone who has some time in the program and who has what you want..serenity, confidence, whatever. It feels weird to ask, but totally worth it.

TakingCharge999 10-26-2010 08:43 PM

BklynGirl, you are years light ahead of where I was when going through something similar. I am sure you will find someone with whom you can grow.

Also, are you going to a therapist? mine says codependence is just like alcoholism, in that AA/ Al anon is maintenance, but real change is made through therapy. Just like dry drunks codies can be "dry codies".

Just my two cents. You are going to feel so much better in a short time! I am really glad you are asking for help.

That takes guts.

SteppingUp 10-26-2010 10:24 PM

Thanks for the post BklynGrl. I've been wondering the same thing myself!

BklynGrl 10-27-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 (Post 2748230)
BklynGirl, you are years light ahead of where I was when going through something similar. I am sure you will find someone with whom you can grow.

Also, are you going to a therapist? mine says codependence is just like alcoholism, in that AA/ Al anon is maintenance, but real change is made through therapy. Just like dry drunks codies can be "dry codies".

Just my two cents. You are going to feel so much better in a short time! I am really glad you are asking for help.

That takes guts.

Yes I stated therapy close to two years ago when my mom passed. Initally it was to help with the grief but over time I came to slowly realize I'm not living up to the life I want. And now here I am trying to change things for me. Some days are harder than others. I've been wallowing since Friday.

But something about today has me feeling positive once again.

keepinon 10-27-2010 07:45 AM

I've had therapy on and off all my life.Alanon is truly waay the best thing for me.It is concrete and has structure which I need. Also, I really love having people who have BEEN THERE (not just studied it in school) to help me. And...it's free! I've made more progress in 1 year of alanon than 2 years of therapy. I needed the spiritual part.