Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Shocked and amazed by physical appearance from drinking ??? Anyone else

Shocked and amazed by physical appearance from drinking ??? Anyone else

Old 10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Originally Posted by MsPINKAcres View Post
to me the saddest part is to see the darkness of the disease in their eyes especially once you have seen the light of recovery in those eyes -

it is the most heartbreaking thing I have ever witnessed to slowly watch that light die, as the disease took back the recovering person's life.

- prayers for those ones still out there and HUGS for their families
Yeah, been there and done that.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
The person does, the addict doesn't.

As long as the "addict" is at the steering wheel the bottom line is the physical appearance does not matter as long as they can drink.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Absolutely...

My wife was a very beautiful, petite woman with amazing brown eyes, cinnamon skin, drop-dead gorgeous legs, and the most beautiful black hair I'd ever seen. Within two years of her drinking problem escalating, this woman who is 11" shorter than me weighed more than I do (I'm 215 pounds), her eyes looked dead, and she was having problems with her skin and her hair.

The good news? It's years later now and, after 4 months of sobriety she has regained much of her former appearance, weighs significantly less than I do, and best of all, her eyes are alive.

I'll take it.

Cyranoak
Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think addiction changes every person. My A stepson looked quite handsome in his tuxedo at his brother's wedding (half brother). Three years later at his sister's wedding, he had just been released from the hospital after nearly dying from drinking. His skin was the color of dijon mustard, his stomach was bloated, his arms and legs were as skinny as toothpicks.....it still breaks my heart to look at those pictures.