Women Who Love Too Much

Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Women Who Love Too Much

Is SUCH an amazing book! Just had to post about it. I cried almost immediately because it resonated with me so much. I suggest anyone who hasn't read it yet to run and get it!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It changed my life, I know that much. There's that chart in there that shows how our obsession progresses from trying to get him to change (and it's not necessarily just alcoholics), all the way to a state where we're physically ill and he's our only focus. When I first read it I cried and cried over that chart.

The other books that I loved and really helped me were the Toby Rice Drews "getting them sober" books. Codependent no More is my gold standard but women who love too much and getting them sober kind of dragged me through the early days.

Hugs,

SL
Old 10-23-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found it a real eye opener and a very good read.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree - great book! I also have the daily meditations for Women Who Love too Much - good daily reader.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I've read it too....great book!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

great book- should carry a health warning! i was so distraught whilst reading it. but i couldn't put it down so amazing. any book on co-dependency is great too.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is an excellent book. Robin Norwood put a finger on codependency before it was called codependency, fully recognizing that there are many reasons that women can become hooked on, or addicted to their men, whether or not alcohol or drugs are part of the equation.

I agree, Stilllearning, the progression chart she printed in the book is pretty powerful. Dead on.

Missb, I'm so happy for you that you've picked up this book. You are doing great things for yourself and your daughter.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup, it was a life-changer for me, too. Got me to Al-Anon, when I read that she refuses to treat anyone who hasn't been to AlAnon. Her case studies were so eye-opening.

Funny thing is, I put off reading it for the longest time, because I didn't think I was the Woman Who Loved Too Much.... I thought I Loved Too Little.... at least that's how AH made me feel. I don't know why I finally picked it up but when I did, I learned that I was definitely the type of woman she was talking about!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad we all got to share such a wonderful book. She has definitely boosted me towards FINALLY going to my first Al-anon meeting. Yes, I still hadn't gone! Although I did go to my first AA meeting tonight and feel pretty good about it. Just to see what a meeting setting is like makes me less afraid to go into any meeting I want. I had been avoiding going to Al-anon because I couldn't get anyone to go with me. Me, codepedent? Noooooo.