codie/etiquette question

Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

codie/etiquette question

We recently moved...and it took two trips cross country with the uhaul.

We discovered that our neighbors are just wonderfully incredible people.
So welcoming and very helpful.
They helped us unload, brought over dinners...

On the first trip..we hadn't packed our coffe maker.
So, here they came..bringing gifts of a coffee maker, filters and a large can of coffee.
WOW!!!

Now, today D was unpacking bins and ran across our coffeemaker, which is almost new and higher tech than the one gifted to us.
I prefer our own..obviously, we picked it out.

The dilemna is: The coffeemaker sits out on the countertop.
N, the lady visits with me time to time but we aren't really close..just neighborly. She is a jewel.
I don't want to be ungracious, ungrateful etc.
I think I will feel guilty and embarassed when she stops over and we have put our coffeepot up.

I know this sounds silly but I am loathe to offend or insult them in any way.

How can I handle this gracefully????????????

D put our coffeepot away in the cabinets...so he must be feeling similarly to the way I do.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, they gave you a coffee maker because you didn't have yours unpacked. It was a totally lovely gesture.

How about this--donate the one they gave you to your Al-Anon group or church group or take it into the office. You can tell them how much you appreciated their thoughtfulness, and now that you have your own stuff, you decided to pay it forward by donating their generous gift to someone else who needed it.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

oh!
I would want to put the original in the cabinet too, at first....

I think you are truly thoughtful to consider this kind neighbors feelings!

I believe you have come a looooong way in your recovery.

How about being honest with your new neighbor, so that the awkwardness over the coffee maker doesn't come between you. I'm suggesting having that uncomfortable conversation where you admit your delima: which coffee maker to use now? Admit that you prefer to keep using the one you previously selected, but don't wish to hurt feelings. I like you, Live, and I would appreciate your honesty if you shared that with me. I would even suggest the following in reply, maybe:

The second coffeemaker could be a back up if there is a large gathering or if yours goes on the fritz.

Welcome to your new community Live! Peace and hugs!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depending upon your tastes. You could use your coffee maker for coffee, and the other one you received from your new neighbor for brewing tea. I enjoy hot tea, but especially, brewed ice tea. Another suggestion is to bring your new coffee maker into either your husband's or your office.

A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the compliments, Pelican!

I just didn't know if there was "Miss Manner" rule here!

Me, yes I will feel more comfortable stopping over and telling her that we have unpacked ours and I believe I will ASK her what she would prefer I do with the one they gave me.

Perhaps she knows someone else who needs one...as they are so very thoughtful and know more people.

I also have a hint that just perhaps her son is having a bit of upheaval and maybe moving or something.
We don't really talk about things....but sometimes one sees signs of things.

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to bumble it.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me, yes I will feel more comfortable stopping over and telling her that we have unpacked ours and I believe I will ASK her what she would prefer I do with the one they gave me.
I love that. Keeps things honest, respects the friendship, removes the potential awkwardness when the old coffeemaker shows up on the counter. That's what I would prefer if I were the neighbor. It speaks volumes for your character, too.

I'm glad you've landed in such a great neighborhood!