Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Ran into xabf last night after nearly two years no contact...

Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I suppose it was bound to happen at some point. New boyfriend lives close to where xabf plays music each Friday night. New boyfriend and I are mostly at his place, so we eat out near his house when I am there spending time with him. Last night, we were headed out for a walk and dinner. A couple of blocks from his house, there is a restaurant with outdoor seats. Actually, there are a ton of restaurants around there. We were just walking and talking and a man sitting alone eating dinner caught my attention. He looked up and it was xabf. The only way I can describe what I felt was that it was a non event event. I was a little shocked at first, but that was it. From what I could tell in the dark, he looked well, but also kind of small to me. I think he might have looked smaller because he no longer had any power in my life. I don't know. The other odd part is that all I could think after I saw him looking well was that I hope he found some peace and is happy, despite everything that happened in the 4.5 years we were in each other's lives. Funny how time and a lot of work heals you. A person I spent so much of my life with and thought my future was with at one point was no more last night than a person I recognized on the street.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW! "I think he might have looked smaller because he no longer had any power in my life." -- You just completely explained what I felt.. Thank you! When I saw my ex in court on Monday.. all I could think about is how 'tiny' he looked.. I figured he'd lost weight.. but, he was always skinny? I never made the correlation that it may be due to the fact he no longer had so much power of me... very insightful, thank you.

Also, your post is very inspiriational and I'm so happy for you. Good for you, and thank you for sharing! That just gives me incredible hope!!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People or things we fear, can seem enormous to us. Maybe we magnify their size and importance at the time, then when we are over it we get to see they were only normal sized after all.

Now if I can get over my backside, would it "shrink" a few sizes???
Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
fumbling towards normalcy

"Funny how time and a lot of work heals you. A person I spent so much of my life with and thought my future was with at one point was no more last night than a person I recognized on the street."

Thanks for this. I hope to feel this way sometime in the future.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"non event event"

Priceless.

Hugs and congrats,
posie
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

NYC chick - you've reached that good place. Feels great, doesn't it?!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Time and alot of work.....congrats.....God's Grace keeps pace with whatever we face.....
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

How wonderful, thanks for the inspiration.
I remember when I didn't see XABF for many weeks, later I realized he looked way smaller/thinner because alcohol has enough carbs that he ate less and less. Before he had bought some jackets and now they look enormous on him.. anyway I am inspired and hope to feel that way soon, too... also congrats on your new relationship thanks for sharing hope with us