Favorite Recipe

Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
kia

Originally Posted by Live View Post
what kind of beans...curious.

I get it now. I am not always as clear in saying what I mean as I think I am.
eggshell milk. ROFLMA...
now u did make me laugh live well a serious smile and the heinz baked bean ones on a nice bit of buttered toast yummy now will u stop rolling on the floor please xx
Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hey...Kia...rather than hijack Pelican's very nice and supposed to be serious thread before I goofed it up...would you start a post and explain a real British "tea" time to me?

I have always been curious, really! and then we can giggle awhile.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
TeM

Just thought of another, and this one might qualify as a recipe. Now, it's not healthy, really, so that's why I only have it once in a while.

Coyote's mentioning potatoes brought it to mind. I love hashbrowns. I recently discovered a new way to cook them:

I pour enough olive oil in a skillet to cover the bottom with a thin coat. Turn the eye on medium heat, then drop a few thin slices of onion on the oil. After it starts sizzling, put your hashbrowns in. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the hashbrowns and let it cook for seven minutes (or whatever your particular brand recommends).

If you can flip it in one piece, it's better, but otherwise cut it into sections and flip over to the cheese side and let it cook another seven minutes or so. The onions will be nice an brown and fused to the potatoes. Now, if you don't like cooked cheese, you may not like this, but I just love it. I guess it's sort of a stovetop hashbrown casserole.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Yes, this is loads of fun!

The cheese added to the casserole is what puts the "C" in Comfort Food!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Pelican, used a similar recipe long time ago and loved it but couldn't find it again. How did you know I was looking for it? LOL

I have so many favorites - I generally like to make homemade soups with lots of veggies. Each year I find a new recipe to try - this year it was the red cabbage one I think I mentioned a week or two ago - probably will not do that again though it was fine. For comfort food - I like the old fashioned - tomato or white clam chowder.

I was just getting used to grilling - ah well... time to hunt for sweaters.... nope not ready yet.... maybe next week....
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've recently embarked on a pie making adventure and tried this recipe, with a few modifications since I am lactose intolerant and so is DD. I just replaced the butter for lactose-free margerine...it. was. blissfully. good.

Grandma Ople's Apple Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Also in my Adventure in Dairy-Free land, I've discovered Coconut Tapioca. Oh my god is it ever good. And soooo easy to make.

Coconut Tapioca Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com

The only thing I changed was to put in 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of Almond milk (or hemp milk) so that tapioca wasn't too thick. Mmmm going to make some tonight!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Oh Yum! Pies!

My daughter has been craving Pumpkin for months. I told her we needed to wait until pumpkins were back in season. Sooooo, this weekend she made Pumpkin muffins, and last night she made Pumpkin Pie.

I love to cook meals and bake bread. I am not, however, the diva of desserts. Her pie last night was wiggly in the middle.

Did it need to bake longer, or higher temp? Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

She should bake it at a higher temp to start off (like 425 F for 15 minutes) and then lower the temp to something like 350 F for another 20 minutes....adjust according to the strength of your oven.

Also, to avoid a soggy crust on the bottom, brush with egg white before putting the stuff inside.