And another thing...could use prayers for one of my cats

Old 10-16-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And another thing...could use prayers for one of my cats

Amber had to take our Oreo to the 24 hour hospital animal hospital where my beloved pitbull girl received such loving care when she went into liver failure.

My vet here had him overnight on Thursday with IV fluids, and sent him home with Amber and some antibiotics. No diagnosis, she just said his liver enzymes were raised, and if he didn't get better, bring him back on Monday.

Now we know why she said that because when he got worse and we tried to call her, her cell went to voice mail which means she's out of town and unavailable.

Personally I'd like to take a sledgehammer to her office, but that wouldn't solve anything, would it? Ugh.

Unfortunately she's the only vet in town now since my old vet moved to Nebraska to a big multi-vet practice.

Thank God I got student loans because Amber could use my debit card to put $100 down towards the bill before she left today. It is expensive but understandably so with 24/7 care with staff on all three shifts.

She'll pay me back as she's waiting on a check from her investment funds and will reimburse me.

It just chaps my hind end that over the last year, my vet has gotten about $5000 between Amber and I due to aging animals, medications, too many euthanasias between the two of us, vaccinations, Ku'a's spay, the list goes on.

Send home a sick cat and then leave for the weekend.

I think I'm going to go for a little walk to get out of the house and say the serenity prayer over and over.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((DeVon)))) - I'm so sorry ((Oreo)) is sick, and I'd be mad as hell at the vet, too. We have 24-hour emergency vet services, around here, but boy are they expensive! It's like $300 just to LOOK at the animal.

Sending prayers that ((Oreo)) takes a turn for the better, and also prayers for you and Amber, as I know that having a sick furbaby just plain hurts.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-16-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will keep Oreo in my prayers for a speedy recovery. for you both.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
((((DeVon)))) - I'm so sorry ((Oreo)) is sick, and I'd be mad as hell at the vet, too. We have 24-hour emergency vet services, around here, but boy are they expensive! It's like $300 just to LOOK at the animal.
My pitbull Skittle was hospitalized for 3 days, and it was close to $950, but she had the gamut of tests-lab work, xrays, sonogram, you name it. We never did find a definitive cause/cure and I lost her anyway, but she got excellent care.

They quoted Amber around $260 for the weekend hospitalization for Oreo, so we are lucky to live in an area where intensive care doesn't run what you have there!

There are advantages to living in my area of Kansas.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I, too, had a very special cat. He was so unique that there was one spot in the master bedroom he would never walk on. My 23 year old daughter's body was found by me on May 16, 1995 dead from a bullet to her right temple. Smokey would jump over this spot every time he had to cross over it.

The Lord looked down upon His world, created fresh and new,
With soaring, shining mountain tops and gleaming seas of blue.
The lordly lions roaming free with tigers golden bright,
All very grand, magnificent, but somehow, not quite right.
He stroked His beard and mused awhile and thought of this and that,
'All these are far too big,' he said, 'I'll make a smaller cat;
To edge towards the fire at night, out of the chilly wind,
An independent animal, but needing human kind;
With fur so soft and warm to touch, but brimming full of guile,
With pansy-faced wee kittens to make the children smile.'
All that was very long ago, but still the cat's with us,
Aloof and condescending, but loving all the fuss.
You'll never, ever own a cat, as all cat lovers know,
He'll curl himself around your heart and never let you go.

God's Blessings!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prayers for you and Oreo. I love animals, and watching them suffer is hard. That and knowing that my girls and I will outlive our pets. Hope Oreo is doing alright today.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awakening

Honestly, I was always a dog guy. I thought cat were kinda "disposable".

The last cat we lost, the vet sent home, said he'd be fine. He was dead face down in his litter box when we came home from work, no dignity to dying face down in litter. Any way I chalked it up to the vet being "stoned" on "cat day" in vet school.

Any way, this 20 pound tom cat sitting on my 10 pound lap has shown me the "error of my ways". I am officially a "cat person", although I must say, he has many "dog like" qualities.

Oh, this same vet came to our house and put both of our German Shepherds to sleep, at my wifes insistence, while I was out of town. One was hers and 13 and skin and bones and senile. Probably had cancer or something. He was OLD and way past spending money on. But not in any pain, still ate/pooped good and got around just fine. It wasn't his time yet. The other was like 5 and perfectly healthy.

I called him up and was like wtf? I told him to please call me before putting any more of my animals to sleep, as I still had a cat left, this current one, that I was rather fond of.

Then his bill arrived for like $3-400, two "house call" euthanasias. That was 4 years ago, hope he's not hanging by his ba!!s waiting for that money. My old 16 yo mutt put at least one of his daughters through college. Eff him, he's not the only vet in town.

Prayers to old Oreo, thanks for letting me vent on your post! Effin vets. Heck, now that I think about it, he was probably doin' my wife.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

BTW Amy, my old tomcat looks just like Elvis, and he talks!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening

Boy, am I in a mood or what?

Coyote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hoping for the best outcome, Freedom.

Man oh man
Old 10-16-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh Coyote, I am so sorry about the dogs and what your EXAW did. That's beyond my comprehension how someone could be so callous.

Mister Kister, my FIV+ guy I lost at the age of 15 earlier this year was a 24 pounder for a long time. He went to a svelte 21 pounds after being put on a different food. His favoritea activity in nice weather was to lay lengthwise across the doorway while the dogs were in the back yard. I'd call them all in and they would come to a screeching halt just short of the steps. I'd literally have to move him out of the way. He managed to swat every single dog on the nose in this house, and they all walked a wide berth around him. I swear I could almost hear him chuckling when I'd move his bulk-it was a great game for him.

The vet just called and they got him to eat a little right after Amber left. They are giving him a liquid nutrient every 2 hours, and he's on a couple of medications for his liver. He's not getting any worse, so that's good. The frequent feedings are to see if this is hepatic lipidosis, which is more common in geriatric cats.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so happy that it appears Oreo is not getting any worse at the vets. Both cats and dogs are great therapy for their masters. Billy Graham was once asked if he thought our pets would be in heaven. He positively stated since our pets have made us happy down here on earth, then they will, also, be in heaven. Oreo is in God's Hands!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends
so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine,
and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor;
those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing;
they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together,
but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent;
His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group,
flying over the green grass,
his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted,
and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face;
your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet,
so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old 10-17-2010, 01:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

I hope Oreo recovers, that it's curable. You've had so much happen to you and the crew this year its just not fair! :ghug3
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - I'm glad you got Oreo into the vet's and that he's holding his own, with their help.

(((Coyote))) - I, also, can't comprehend what your wife did. I'm glad you've discovered how great cats are. My Mots talks, too...that's why his name stands for "mouth of the south"...we have some pretty interesting conversations

Elvis has FIV and feline leukemia, but other than having lost weight, and not liking the cold weather last winter, he acts perfectly normal. Both Patches and Mots are at least twice his weight, but Elvis is the man of the house

Prayers continuing for Oreo. You and your "zoo crew" deserve a long, long time with nothing but healthy furbabies and lots of love.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

How is Oreo doing?

D&G send hugs and purrs, and they tell me they would like to be there to cheer Oreo back to health.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My vet here had him overnight on Thursday with IV fluids, and sent him home with Amber and some antibiotics. No diagnosis, she just said his liver enzymes were raised, and if he didn't get better, bring him back on Monday.
Freedom,

Hugs for little Oreo! and you, as I know how frustrating that is. I have 4 cats and have had my share of vet bills, still do.

with elevated liver enzymes, I am wondering if Oreo has been eating right?
there is a condition, fatty liver disease, and it often occurs in kitty who have been off their food for some reason. Cats cannot fast like we can, and the liver suffers. Food is the cure for fatty liver disease, and assisted feedings save countless kitties lives. It often occurs in overweight kitties, who arent eating. for some reason , the liver gets clogged with fat somehow- cant put it in very technical terms.

long story short- if Oreo has not been eating, make sure he gets enough food. nibbles are not enough. Is he jaundiced? if so , that is a typical visible sign. and nausea.

it is not easy to get them to eat sometimes. i have pureed some fancy feast or other good canned food and syringe-fed it, making sure they get enough food to keep liver working. anything that he will eat may coax him to get back to eating . may want to use a bib.

there is an awesome group-feline assisted feeding on *****. faf@ *****.com
if you need any help.

hope this helps, and hugs to sweet oreo. you may know this stuff already, sorry if it seems pushy, but i had a kitty with kidney disease, and learned a lot about stuff like this.

some vets want to do surgery , too quickly imho, when food really can cure this in most cases.

of course ,there may be an underlying reason the kitty is not eating, so i hope that you find a vet who is more sensitive to kittys needs.
i find vets to be tough cookies most of the time . but these days more of them are realizing that we love our babies like family, and they need to be more accountable for their treatment skills.

chicory, who is saying prayers for Oreo!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
Boy, am I in a mood or what?

Coyote
I would say, yes, you are, lol. Hope your day gets better. H
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Praying for your kittykid. I know all about it. I now have 9 cats. Not all in the house, lol. And don't even get me started on vets that take advantage, or just don't care. But there are some good ones, Blessings, H
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Chicory, we know there was at least 2 days he didn't eat and Amber had to go looking for him in the house (they are all indoor only now), and she found him holed up under my waterbed upstairs in the pedestal. That's why the vets suspected hepatic lipidosis, which is synonymous with fatty liver disease.

I worked for my old vet over two years and did remember some about the condition, but got on the internet to read more after Amber had taken him to the hospital and they mentioned it.

His kidney panel did come back fine and they also ran a urinalysis on him at the hospital which was negative for infection.

If for some reason he does backslide, we may be looking at some other liver condition that has just now manifested itself, so time will tell.

Please give your kitty kids extra ear scritchies from me, okay?!

I will definitely look up that ***** group!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I know how tough it can be, I'm a vet tech myself and understand the necessity, the bond and the love of our furry family. I will keep her in my thoughts. If I could, I would help in any way that I can.

All the best.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oreo is back at the vet's this morning. Something is very wrong. I told Amber either the little guy knows something we don't or he feels so ill he just wants to give up. He managed to get up the second story steps after coming home and crawling under the bed. That's where Amber had found him so sick in the first place.We did get him right back out. He's hissing and growling, which is the complete opposite of his sweet nature, His back end isn't working right when he tries to walk. It may be a very bad day today.