SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   He is here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/211314-he-here.html)

ala3037 10-16-2010 10:54 AM

He is here

I come home from my errands and there he (he is sober, not hungover even, just upset) is, sitting on the couch. The only chance that we have to stay together and be healthy is if he gets treatment and maintains sober living. I asked him if he decided and he said he hadn't. He isn't ready to see or understand the pain he causes with "one pint of vodka". He is trying to make me feel guilty "why are you picking on me?", "stop putting me down." and so on. My reply was how am I picking on you, I'm just calling out your BS. I will not be made to feel guilt. I did not buy, drink, or hide vodka. UGH!!!

Thank you for letting me vent.

ala3037 10-16-2010 11:00 AM

Why is standing my ground so painful? I don't expect an answer just thinking out loud.

Live 10-16-2010 11:04 AM

I've spent years inculcating my boundaries.

One of them is that I insist people phone first before just dropping in.

I understand he is doing this "anniversary" thing and completely denying and ignoring the HUGE issue of his part in destroying the relationship, and himself, and you in the process (because it is called a family disease for a damned good reason!)

Kudos for refusing to be guilted.
LOL That used to just frustrate mine to pieces! LOL so what?!

I really had to laugh to myself upon reading your title.

He is there and you are here.

I'll bet my lunch that he honestly thinks he deserves special considerations and gratitude for showing up sober on the right day!

How dare you bring up that other stuff!

I hope your day gets more peaceful and pleasant from here...

Someday you might even be able to laugh about this. ;)

ala3037 10-16-2010 11:11 AM

I'm kinda laughing right now. You're so right, ohhhh big deal you're sober and clean right now. Let's have a parade to cheer you on. Oh please! Man up, I told him and see the truth.

Thank you so much for your reply, you truly lightened my mood and gave me my first real smile all day!

Ala

Live 10-16-2010 11:13 AM

oops...I am sorry..I am bad with names sometimes..forget the references I made to anniversaries.

Standing your ground is ...well, depends on what you mean by it.

If it is reasoning with him...well, how can you reason with someone who is unreasonable and who insists on using denial and lying as reality management.

He is not only denying the alcohol problems..he is ignoring and denying that you broke up with him.

Most of us want to explain ourselves and our decision and we can talk our way into the ground.
It's an excercise in futility...accomplishes nothing and frustrates us to our wit's end.

The only thing I can suggest is to tell him that there is nothing more to talk about, you do not want a relationship any longer and ask him to please leave.
It's tough.
But the alternative is spinning in circles, becoming confused, digressing, and this going on and on and on and on.

I KNOW you don't want to spend your day like this.

Something we say around here:

Say what you mean.
Mean what you say.
Just don't say it meanly.

That is the path to integrity, in my opinion.

ala3037 10-16-2010 11:17 AM

You are right, I don't want to spend my day like this. I will move forward and I will be okay in time. God willing, he will be able to see the truth. I can't force that. *sigh* I'm going to treat myself to a nap. I deserve/want a nice/happy dream.

Live 10-16-2010 11:18 AM

oh, hey...if you want to poke fun..we are pretty darned good at that around here!

A sense of humor is a saving grace!

I thought the parade and man up comments were pretty funny myself.

You're supposed to love me..why you talking to me that way??
he doesn't like being cut off by you any more than he like being cutoff from the bottle.

Do you get a picture of a mommy bottle feeding a King Baby? ;)

Live 10-16-2010 11:23 AM

oooo..how about looking up some cruise lines and last minute departure deals from your area?

Dreaming of rocking on the ocean, with buffets of food, exotic ports of call, formal gowns for the captain's dinner, snorkeling amongst brightly colored fishes and chasing them, a spa with massage, dancing under the stars....ooo I can daydream

And with a little savings I can really do those things.
AND I have done them single.
Lots of fun flirting to be had too! :)

ala3037 10-16-2010 02:01 PM

Lol. He didn't think it was funny when I told him to man up. Oh well, I did. A trip to Walt Disney World would be heavenly right about now. So would New Zealand but I don't have that kind of cash. Right now, I'll just enjoy my books and my quiet time. I'm feeling very blessed to have stumbled on SR.

Live 10-16-2010 04:23 PM

I am a reading addict!!!
I have always had my nose in a book!

Wow. You prompted me to think of Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios!
One of the best fun times I have had.
Some day I am going to go again.

We have a book club down a little further in the list of forums...just in case you are interested.

I was given a kindle as a gift and I didn't think I would like it.
Holy cow, I couldn't have been more wrong!
It's also going to save me alot of money because I have been downloading free stuff onto it.
(might get a better education reading some classics too)

Welcome to SR!!!

You are a valuable addition to the team effort!

ala3037 10-16-2010 04:48 PM

I love to read, it lifts me up. When I was younger, my mom would take my books away when I was in punishment. Lol, I would sneak them under the covers with a flashlight at night. Hi, my name is Ala and I'm a book addict. I was thinking about a kindle but I love the feel of paper, odd I know. But there is something about a way a new book smells that I love. Not a bad vice to have.

Live 10-16-2010 07:16 PM

I like the feel of the pages, the weight of the book, the smell too!

I am not giving up books, uh-uh.

But there is something to be said for instant gratification, not having to go to the store, maybe find what I want or not...just that anytime, anywhere and almost having any one I think up that I want and having several and it keeps my pages...AND has the neatest dictionary feature.

So I LOVE both!

Taking away books as punishment is cruel and unusual punishment! LOL

But now that I am grown up I can read at the dinner table if I want to! Yeah.

ala3037 10-17-2010 05:41 AM

Hmmm, maybe I will treat myself to a kindle or iPad. I'll have to do some research.

I know, taking away my books?!?!? The horror! Why not take away TV? Oh wait, I didn't watch TV. ; )

Live 10-17-2010 06:37 AM

oh, wow..another kid that didn't watch tv?

I haven't owned one in years!

Fandy 10-17-2010 07:50 AM

if you have a Barnes&Noble in your area, try to check out the Nook....i know 3 people that have it and love it...they say it is a better deal than the kindle.

ala3037 10-17-2010 09:15 AM

The nook? Never heard of it but I will check it out. Thanks!

Live 10-17-2010 09:46 AM

me neither...I am wondering if you are limited then to only the books Barnes & Nobles have listed?