I drove to a meeting and chickened out at the last min

Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drove to a meeting and chickened out at the last min

I'm involved in a relationship (a pretty difficult one, with all of the distance and ambiguity that comes with relationships in recovery) with a recovering addict and it's tough and I just need to talk and put the focus back on me and recover myself.

I haven't been to an alanon meeting since I was a kid. My mom has been an active alcoholic for as long as I can remember, and my brother and I grew up in a crazy household with just her. It wasn't until I went through such crazy times with him that I realized how much my being and ACA has affected my life, relationships, etc.

I was so excited to do this, I even declined a shift at work (and I need the money) only to drive all the way across town, circle the building, park, walk past the building, and then walk back to my car and drive away.

Now here I am. LOL. Hopefully tomorrow I will not chicken out!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tomorrow...you can do it! For you.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awakening

You're probably the first person to EVER do that. Kidding, new comers admit it all the time in my group.

It was probably a lame meeting, they do happen from time to time, and HP was trying to save you for an awesome first experience.

I was court ordered by a CPS judge, I HAD to go!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ha, coyote21, the meetings I went to as a kid were also mandated by CPS.

Funny, my bf is ALL into his recovery, and the meetings, and wants to work a program for life (which is great), and he called me a "normie" yesterday, and I felt like telling him, baby, I was attending meetings while you were still shopping for Transformers lunch pails with your rich, sober parents.

But it's a whole different animal now, committing to recovery. I was just a little kid back then, the meetings started when I was 9. I remember they gave us papers with baby-ish animations of all of the different roles in an alcoholic family, and told us which one we fit the closest...lol.