SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   OT: Mom Passed Away (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/211017-ot-mom-passed-away.html)

Lola1024 10-11-2010 06:58 PM

OT: Mom Passed Away

My mom passed away in her home on Oct 7th. A few days after I came home she decided to discontinue dialysis treatment. She would have had to go to some type of nursing care full time for rehab from back fractures and she elected to end her life instead. She was in extreme pain due to the 4 new fractures found on her spine this last hospital stay - fractures from the cancer weakening her bones. My mom was a proud, independent, strong woman and she wanted her life to be at home or not at all. She lived 9 days after we brought her home - 5 of which were in a coma like state. My sister in law and myself had the privilege of caring for her while at home until she died. Hospice was wonderful to us.

An amazing parade of friends and family came and went - mom was in Alanon for many years and most of her close friends are from program. I have never seen such an outpouring of utter love in all my life. From those that read to her, played music for her and just held her hand. So many tears and so much joy combined. I am truly amazed at the number of lives my mother impacted.

We are holding a wake for her in the art gallery space of her building Saturday. She wants a celebration of her life not a funeral. I will fly back to CA on Sunday. I have to deal now with her loss - so deep I still do not even feel it hardly. My mom and my best friend are no longer with me in a physical sense. I am lost in ways I have never felt. I have to deal with her property and possessions at some time too. Scary stuff. Don't have a clue what to do but I will learn. My brother is also helping me a lot. Mom wanted the building to be used for the arts just not sure how to make that happen.

Thanks again for all the prayers sent to my family through this process. My mother would thank you if she could.

:grouphug:

suki44883 10-11-2010 06:59 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. You mother sounds like a wonderful person. :grouphug:

dollydo 10-11-2010 07:09 PM

I too, am sorry. Sending hugs your way.

Learn2Live 10-11-2010 07:10 PM

I am so sorry Lola.

Hollyanne 10-11-2010 07:19 PM

Sorry for your loss Lola.
You will never have to regret how she passed though. How perfect. She is lucky to have you. Sounds like a great lady, and that is in you!
Big hug to you.

SteppingUp 10-11-2010 07:36 PM

So sorry for your loss Lola.:grouphug:

tjp613 10-11-2010 07:51 PM

(((((Lola)))))) I'm sorry.

Freedom1990 10-11-2010 07:57 PM

My heart hurts for you, Lola. :hug:

What a blessing she had family and friends close in her last days.

Be gentle with yourself, and I will keep you in my prayers.

HealingWillCome 10-11-2010 08:01 PM

Thank you for letting us know. You are in my prayers. Hugs, peace, and comfort to you, Lola.

SlvrMag 10-11-2010 08:01 PM

So very sorry for the loss of your Mother (((Lola)))

Pelican 10-11-2010 08:16 PM

Thank you for letting us know.

(((Hugs))) and prayers to you and your family during this time.

coyote21 10-11-2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lola1024 (Post 2734850)
An amazing parade of friends and family came and went - mom was in Alanon for many years and most of her close friends are from program. I have never seen such an outpouring of utter love in all my life. From those that read to her, played music for her and just held her hand. So many tears and so much joy combined. I am truly amazed at the number of lives my mother impacted.

What a wonderful tribute to a life well lived. So sorry for your loss.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

keepinon 10-11-2010 08:51 PM

Wishing you peace...

Spiritual Seeker 10-11-2010 09:01 PM

(((((((((((((((((Lola)))))))))))))))))))
your Mother's many gifts can live on through you.
No doubt about it there will be a big space in your heart that your mom use to fill.

TakingCharge999 10-11-2010 11:34 PM

Please accept my condolences.
If I may, can I share a song?
A part goes like this:

"niņa, cuando yo muera
no llores sobre mi tumba,
porque si tu lloras muero
en cambio si tu me cantas
yo siempre vivo, yo nunca muero"

And it means:
"Girl, when I die
do not cry over my tomb
because if you cry I die
but if you sing
I always live, I never die"

Your post made me remember this song. What a great idea to celebrate her life.

bookwyrm 10-12-2010 12:02 AM

I'm so sorry.:grouphug:

sesh 10-12-2010 01:16 AM

So sorry for your loss.

HUGS

chicory 10-12-2010 03:10 AM

Lola,
I am sorry for your great loss. You were blessed to have a mother like this. How it speaks for who she was in this life, that so many gathered to be with her at that special time.

She will be with you, in a special way, always.
chicory

Jazzman 10-12-2010 04:16 AM

I'm sorry for your loss Lola. Sounds like your Mom was loved by many and leaves lasting memories behind.

Linkmeister 10-12-2010 06:49 AM

Thoughts and prayers coming your way, Lola......

Hugs to you from me and my puppy........