Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT suspecting I am the lowest paid engineer .... super angry !!

OT suspecting I am the lowest paid engineer .... super angry !!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Angry OT suspecting I am the lowest paid engineer .... super angry !!

Excuse me while essentially I keep blogging here. I talk to you about beach weddings, cats, family health, so why not work too??

I realized I am the lowest paid person in my team. Other newer people earn more. And go to music festivals stating they are working, and no one tells them anything.

So I basically go without sleep for more than 15 days,get yelled at today for not solving a problem "quick enough"-it was not even under my control!- and it made me cry.

Then I woke up and see that after some more research it was not my fault and I had done everything in my power and advised 5 times what to do, before, and was ignored.

I ask a closer coworker and he mentions he has a certification - I am pursuing the same now. But I foresee even if I get it they will say "there will be no raises this year"

So I am compiling all the proof about how I have had not life at all, and asking if getting the exam will guarantee a salary raise- or what the payoff will be.

I am so angry with myself !! but I am also thinking at least I finally got angry and not still grateful for crumbs while I see the males drinking, partying and enjoying $$. And having long weekends often.

At least I get some professional ambition. I never had it before. I believe it is a gift from recovery, being fed up with being a doormat at work, too!! UGH!!

Plan is
-ask if the exam will guarantee any raise, or what besides that needs to be done.
- regardless of what happens, keep studying and getting certifications
- save $
- have an interview with Australian immigration to talk about my prospects
- leave for a better job and hopefully a better life. bring cats.

I am so angry still.... UGHHHHHHHHHHH thanks for listening
I am done being a martyr......what an idiot.

PS I have always done very well in exams, but had not studied for This One because I felt too dumb or that it was too difficult !! the other day I read 25 pages and it was a breeze. DUH!!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think your plan is excellent. Good for you.

It does sound like you're unappreciated there. It's a strange phenomenon--sometimes bosses just decide that some members of their team are better, more useful, whatever, than others, and it might not be based in fact.

Or it could be a sort of bullying or scapegoating going on.

If it helps you--I was in a position once where I took over managing a team. My predecessor had a nervous breakdown and left, so I took over her mess. I saw with time that my predecessor had been bullied and scapegoated for a lot of the department's problems, and then people started on that with me. I was supposed to work basically unlimited hours, was given conflicting metrics, no resources, etc

It's pretty awful because after a while you realize that people are trying to cast you in the role of F***-Up.

What helped me get through it: I worked hard, as usual. I was really assertive with my time so that I could get more done and leave on time. I also pretended I was an actress playing the role of "calm, happy manager." So no matter how I was feeling I would dress up nice, chit-chat with people, be firm but kind with everyone. If someone came blustering into my office saying (in essence) "This is all your fault!" I found it really took the wind out of their sails if I didn't cringe but said something like, "Actually that's not the case but I see you're frustrated. So let's see what we can do to make this better for you." They'd just be like, "Uh... okay, thanks."

Take care--soon you're be lightyears away from that place!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Old saying: "If you don't have a plan, you plan to fail", sounds like you have it all figured out, good for you!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Discuss with manager, sounds like you are female...could be dangerous for them to pay you less while having the same job (if you are in the US), also look for employment at another company.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

from akrasia: sometimes bosses just decide that some members of their team are better, more useful, whatever, than others, and it might not be based in fact.

Or it could be a sort of bullying or scapegoating going on.

I agree, this is definitely true.

Also true - (but need more facts about your situation) - is that sexism is alive and well in most of the world!

Are most of the equally qualified males at a higher pay grade?

Are their any laws about this in Mexico?

Don't doubt your value!

Peace-
B
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From where I sit (outside looking in), this is just one more message in a long string telling you to move out of your comfort zone. The Universe, God, HP, whatever you call it has been nudging you for a while. If you don't pay attention, the nudges generally turn to shoves. At least that has been my experience. Glad to hear you are pursuing the certification, even if it doesn't make a difference to present company.

L
Old 10-05-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LTD,
If you don't pay attention, the nudges generally turn to shoves.
wow- I wish I had known this sooner-

just thought i had a lot of bad luck....
Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
part time member

-ask if the exam will guarantee any raise, or what besides that needs to be done.
- regardless of what happens, keep studying and getting certifications
I don't understand about the exams and things. Only thing in the US is a Professional Engineer. What are these certs for? Just wondering. My boss told me that I wasn't getting a raise because "my husband works" and then he said he was kidding. Who is kidding who....that was back in the 80s and we were to NEVER talk about how much we made.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All right...I think you know what I am going to say....

That place is inexcusably sexist...they have proven that in the past...and they will continue to take advantage of you as they have been.....

Good on you for your plan!

Lots of wonderful new adventures just waiting for you!