Went to an AA meeting last night

Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to an AA meeting last night

My friend is an addict and has asked me a few times to take her to an AA meeting, which I agreed to. So she wanted to go last night, but no surprise, she backed out. So I went alone.

I can honestly say, my HP brought me to that meeting lst night. Not only did I meet some great people there, but the speaker touched me like no other.
She was a wonderful, beautiful women in her early 50's who had major success in business and she gave it all up to get sober and travel the world.
She now lives in Costa Rica but was in town to see her Dad and her friend asked her to speak.
I sat in awe of her story and only because our lives and stories were so parallel.
The woman I was sitting next to said "She inspires me to not relapse"
I and I said "she inspires me to not fear my new life"

In any case, the folks at this meeting knew I was the newcomer and everyone was so nice. I got a few phone #'s and am going to meet this great lady I met there this weekend for a tea :-)

You know, I need to say this, with as much anger as we have at our current or former addicts, there are just as many, if not more addicts who have recovered and turned out to be amazing people.

Al Anon should have speakers, it adds a different side to recovery.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

"she inspires me to not fear my new life"
Yeah Momma
Amen
Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been to a few AA meetings...a long time ago. A friend of mine has been expressing her need to go to AA and I've said I will go with her but she always backs out. I think I'll do what you did and go myself anyway! It's a good thing to experience the other side of the program. And your HP obviously had a plan for you to be there! Thanks for your inspiring post!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Floss, it's really soothing to see the other side, though in reality, we're all on the same side.
A year ago, I would have never walked into an AA meeting alone, but the strength I got from Al Anon and walking into my first step group alone last week, has helped me put my fear/anxiety aside to face recovery.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good on you Summer! And yes, we are all on the same side. I hope I have enough strength to walk into the AA meeting alone too...
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by Summerpeach View Post
In my community, they do.

Alanon has been invited to share in open night at AA. How it works: Every Saturday is an open AA meeting - but on the 5th Saturday the speaker is an Alanon speaker. Attendance is good at both the AA open and Alanon open meetings.

Maybe an idea for your community?

I'm glad you followed through with your plan to attend. Good on you!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pelican, I will ask my home group leader if there are meetings like this. I would get a lot out of them.

And thank you :-)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My alanon group has speakers too, not in conjuntion with AA.We have them on every 5 th mon and do a potluck before..kinda fun!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I have said many many times that the recovering alcoholics I know are some of the most wonderful, warm, fantastically living life people I know.

It's such a jarring difference from those alcoholics I know who aren't in recovery.