SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   I'm in shock (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/210069-im-shock.html)

BklynGrl 09-27-2010 07:47 PM

I'm in shock

My dad just called me to tell me that he got a text message from my AH it said, "I might have cancer. Fyi."

WTF!!! First of all I can't believe he sent that text, that's the reason I blocked his text messages to start with. Can't you pick up the phone??

Second could it be true? What do I do, part of me wants to break NC and call him. But another part of me thinks that it maybe it's not such a good idea and I should wait for him to call me. I feel like it's a game of cat and mouse and he's just dangling the biggest most juiciest mouse ever in front of my face.

Call his mom?

FarawayFromCars 09-27-2010 07:58 PM

Hmmmm.....that's a tough one, BG. Remember that "might" is not the same as "definitely". Maybe wait it out until things are more clear? I would think....if he does indeed have cancer, his parents might contact you....maybe wait it out. It seems like you already sense contact would not be good for you. Hang in there.

BklynGrl 09-27-2010 08:07 PM

Just got off the phone with my BF and apparently he sent her the same text.

LexieCat 09-27-2010 08:22 PM

Oh, please.

This is drama. IF he has cancer--actually HAS it, you will find out soon enough. It's not like your rushing over there or calling him would heal any tumors.

My guess is this is a test. Of your response time. I have this image of him sitting there by the phone with his watch, counting down how long it will take you to call him, text him, or rush over to see if he's OK.

ItsmeAlice 09-27-2010 08:26 PM

Ok, so he is sending this text to everyone he knows will get the news back to you?

I hear bells going off with this. It sounds an awful lot like bating the hook to get you to bite and contact him out of deep concern. Entirely manipulative and self serving to his aggenda.

I fell for the medical revelation of mouth cancer when I threatened to leave my XABF years ago. It was a lie, but I stayed and cared for him long before I figured that out.

Does that mean your AH is not telling the truth, no, but it certainly is one potential motive behind this. I agree with waiting, staying no contact, and letting the truth bear out.

Alice

HealingWillCome 09-27-2010 08:26 PM

Right now it is a "might." Keep yourself in the present moment. Nothing you can do about a "might" so don't let your mind go there!

Still Waters 09-27-2010 08:29 PM

I'd be tempted to text him back saying "I have an allergy to dramaz".

*sorry, I'm in a mood tonight

He's digging, and in a totally pathetic way. Look at poor me, let me text everyone I know who will definitely contact HER who is supposed to be taking care of ME, cause it's all always all about me.

What a baby.

And frankly, he doesn't sound like a sober baby. Sober people don't send stupid woe is me texts to family members and friends of their estranged spouses.

suki44883 09-27-2010 08:30 PM

This type of thing is not uncommon. They want to know that you will run to their side. If it turns out that he does have cancer, you will find out soon enough. Word has probably already gotten back to him that you know about his texts to your dad and your friend. Now, he's just waiting to see if you will contact him. Stay strong. :grouphug:

LaTeeDa 09-27-2010 08:38 PM

It seems to me that you being "in shock" is just the reaction he was going for. I hate to say it, but I've been around this board a long time and yours is not the first desperate alcoholic to play the "cancer card." Sad but true.

L

FormerDoormat 09-27-2010 09:10 PM

I also remember several reports of addicts playing the "cancer card" on this forum. Unless I heard it from a professional, I would discount it as a lie and a desperate attempt at manipulation.

LexieCat 09-27-2010 09:14 PM

Come to think of it, ANY of us "might" have cancer.

Gosh, he isn't lying! He just hasn't undergone a battery of tests on every system in his body to exclude the possibility of any form of malignancy.

BklynGrl 09-27-2010 09:18 PM

He's always been the emotional manipulator, that has been the biggest struggle of our relationship all along. I find it so sad that the alcoholism has lead him to this "desperate" place. But I can feel in my bones that that is indeed what he's doing here, even though it's probably unconscious in his mind.

But still... to pull this when I watched my mom die of ovarian cancer less than two years ago feels like a stab in the back. Of course on the off chance that he does have it, I'll be in therapy for years trying to get over the guilt. Ha! who am I kidding, I'll be in therapy for years regardless!!!

Anyway, I plan on doing nothing for now. Tonight all I need to do to is go to sleep so I can deal with work tomorrow.

A big thanks to everyone for your perspectives, you never lead me astray. With each day that passes this board becomes more and more important to me. :grouphug:

Mambo Queen 09-27-2010 10:10 PM

My XAH had a malignant melanoma in 2006. Basically, skin cancer works like this--either it's caught in time, in which case it is completely treatable, or it doesn't, in which case, unfortunately, it's usually bad, bad news. His was found to not have spread, therefore, completely treatable. But he will still bring it up to this day, how he is a cancer survivor, how some of those "rogue cells" might have sprang up elsewhere. Which is true, I guess, but no more true of him than anyone else. He relished the attention. He still loves the phrase "cancer survivor". For a certain type of alcoholic, nothing is better in terms of playing the victim card.

freebuthurting 09-28-2010 12:12 AM

I have to agree it looks like drama and attention seeking. There is a big difference between "might" and "do" have cancer.
Don't let yourself be blown about by everywind - especially when the wind is just hot air.

My advice - completely ignore it.

sesh 09-28-2010 01:19 AM

I hope you don't find this coldhearted but what if he really has cancer? What does that change, for you and your relationship?
The way I see it, even if it is true, I think the "normal" way to act upon it would be him contacting you or if you have blocked him contacting your F&F and telling them what is going on and saying he'd like to speak to you or something like that.
The way he is going about it is pure manipulation. He is sending these texts and wants you to go all uspet and rush to his aid. If he needs your help he can ask for it, no need to be sly about it, JMHO.
Also I'm thinking if he really though he does have cancer he'd be probably be too worried to play games.

Still Waters 09-28-2010 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by cynical one (Post 2722020)
From 8 Easy Ways to Spot an Emotional Manipulator

6) If you have a headache an emotional manipulator will have a brain tumor! No matter what your situation is the emotional manipulator has probably been there or is there now - but only ten times worse. It’s hard after a period of time to feel emotionally connected to an emotional manipulator because they have a way of de-railing conversations and putting the spotlight back on themselves. If you call them on this behavior they will likely become deeply wounded or very petulant and call you selfish - or claim that it is you who are always in the spotlight. The thing is that even tho you know this is not the case you are left with the impossible task of proving it. Don’t bother - TRUST your gut and walk away!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...n-control.html

Oh wow. My AH to a T!!!! I always wondered how he was going to have a worse menstrual cramp than mine!

kiki5711 09-28-2010 04:14 AM

If he really had cancer I doubt he would text it to everyone. But then again I don't know him and I always get surprised at what strange things other people do.

In the past two years I battled two different cancers. It's nothing to take lightly. It's scary as hell and a time for preparation for the treatment which is hell in its self.

If he went to the doctor thinking that maybe he has it, I'm sure there will be steps to examine him thoroughly before coming to the conclusion.

Jadmack25 09-28-2010 06:35 AM

As has been seen, emotional manipulating A's will try anything, and to hell with hurting someone....as long as they get the pay off, who cares?
He knows how you must feel after losing your mum to cancer, and to use this way to get your attention is disgusting, cruel and frankly, deserves totally ignoring him.

Please feel no guilt for anything he does, and if he should be actually telling the truth, then still feel no guilt......because wanting to speak to you about it, does not excuse his dumb way of going about it.

nodaybut2day 09-28-2010 07:05 AM

As everyone has posted, this sounds like an attempt to reel you back in...

http://kimi07.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/big-fish.png