I have enrolled in college

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I have enrolled in college

again.
I am going back to college (community college). It has been 15 years since I last attended (and 10 years before that when I originally started).

I have been inspired by some of my friends here at SR! I want to finish college and get a degree. I am even following in the footsteps of Freedom1990 and Impurrfect. I plan to get a degree in Health Information Technology.

The good news is that some of the core classes I took years ago are transferrable. The great news is that I live in one of the most successful states of lottery money covering tuition. Based on my income my tuition and books (and those of my son) will be completely covered! Woohoo!

I finished enrollment today. I now have my student id and parking pass. My first class starts in October.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats!!!! I know you will do well. I am in the last bit of my onlilne Medical Transcription class. Next book is preparing for the test.
I know you are excited about your new adventure. I am excited for you , God's blessings.H
Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Way to go Pelican!! I am so excited for you! I wish I could quit my job and go with you! Great choice, Health Information Technology, too!! That is what my new job is and it is a promising field, lots of jobs. I am so glad your tuition and books are covered.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WOW! How cool is that?! Great decision...for YOU!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Pelly!
I know you'll get so much from it - and do well too

D
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awakening

I'm so jealous, I MAY get my stuff paid for, if not, I'm gonna leap any way. Gotta take a prereq biology course, then wait till next fall to start toward an assoc. degree in occupational or physical therapy assistant.

Whoohoo for you. Those guys are inspirational aren't they! Sooo cool. Congratulations.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Coyote, you seriously need to get yourself searching for a single dad's scholarship. I bet there is a lot of private scholarship money out there for single dads. Go to the community college library help desk and ask where the section is for scholarship books. There will be a few for the current year. You can also start by googling for scholarships. Usually you have to fill out an application and write an essay. But heck free money is free money!! Good on ya', you guys.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah for you!!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh but never pay money to apply for a scholarship. And apply for more than just one. You should also be eligible for a Pell grant.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go Pelican!!
I am in the final 2 semesters of nursing school - after having been out of school also for 15 years - it really has been intense!!

I hope you find it as challenging and inspiring as I do, and your fellow students are very lucky to have such a wise bird landing in their midst!

Best of luck--
Peace-
B
Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Pelican.

I started my classes (Accounting) at our university three weeks ago and in site of a few hiccups with the course, homework and assorted things, I am so glad I did this at my advanced age. It was pretty rewarding to get an "A" in my first English test and perfect marks on 3 assignments I had to complete.

All the best in your studies....from one student to another.....
Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow. So many smarties here on SR We're going to have to get some new smilies for all these upcoming graduations

Congrats to all of you, for having the self-respect and recovery to go out and make a better life for yourselves. You guys are awesome.

Mike
Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Congrats! How exciting for you.

I'm kinda playing with the idea of going back to school, myself, for some kinda new career once I can retire in a couple of years. I don't think I want to keep doing what I've been doing. It's been a great career for over 25 years, but I kinda want to do something different. The good thing is, I'll have a good pension so I won't need to earn a ton of money and can do something I like, instead. Once I figure out what that is, lol!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pelican,
so happy for you! how exciting!
how wonderful to be going back to school, and planning for a new career.

best wishes for you,
chicory
Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How does that rhyme go? "A funny old bird is the Pelican,,,,etc".

All the best for your success in this.

God less
Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pelican,

Way to go! I bet you are going to have a great time, making your own way forward. Thank you for sharing the good news.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

great job Pelican. I enrolled in school and got a good semester under my belt then had to stop so I can move. I hope i can try to resume my studies after i'm settled. I loved it and was shocked that i was able to get good marks. You'll be great! it is a great thing to do for yourself! enjoy!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That is such a great news!!! I'm so happy for you.
I've been back at University for the last 4 year, and I have only few exams left. Hopefully I'll complete it by the end of the year (on schedule)!!!
It is one of the best things I did for myself ever.
And aslo, since back at the University, I was so surprised to find out how it is much more easier for me to study now than it was all those years before when I was young and had so many other things on my mind.
I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow Pelican! You're my hero! What an exciting adventure to be embarking on.

I LOVE school. I want to be in school all my life....realistically though, I'm a single mom with a toddler, so I just enrolled in my first online course to obtain a graduate level diploma in distance education. Wheeee!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ok you guys... you've inspired me!!! I always said I'd never want to go back to school... but I find that I have time on my hands now that the kids are growing/grown. I have 3 years of college (including one year of nursing school) but man, are those credits OLD! Your Health Information Technology sounds right up my alley!! Gonna look into the possibilities and see what else is out there in the health field (but NOT nursing!! ) I have a large metropolitan community college about 2.5 miles from my house.

Thank you all for your inspiration.... in ALLareas of my life!!

(((Hugs)))