SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Please welcome lisainftw (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/209414-please-welcome-lisainftw.html)

lisainftw 09-19-2010 09:54 AM

Please welcome lisainftw

Hello everyone. I am new to the site. My husband is a very bad alcoholic. He has been in and out of jail for many years for substance abuse and alcohol related situations. He was just released from a 6 month jail term. He is completely out of control now. He doesn't want help and refuses to admit to the problem. I need to know where to begin to start proceedings to have him committed. Can someone please give me advise. It is a very desperate situation. He is a danger to himself and others. I have no experience in this what-so-ever. Can someone please help??

LexieCat 09-19-2010 09:59 AM

Hi, Lisa,

This is a very old thread, so you might want to start a new one, and introduce yourself.

It's a lot harder to get alcoholics committed these days than it used to be. Generally speaking, just being an out-of-control alcoholic isn't enough.

More important, what are you doing for YOURSELF? Alcoholics don't get well until they want to. We didn't CAUSE the alcoholism, we can't CONTROL it, and we can't CURE it. But there are things we can do to make our own lives better.

akrasia 09-19-2010 11:14 AM

I'm so sorry. I've struggled with this myself. I can't really add to the good advice listed here, but I wanted to lend my support.

Learn2Live 09-19-2010 12:10 PM

Hi lisainftw. Can you share why you think he is a danger to himself or others? If he is violent, you should call the police.
Each state has its own process for having someone committed. You should check with the appropriate state agency where you live. You could start by calling your local Dept of Social Services. They may be able to assist you.

Please take care of yourself.

Daybreak 09-19-2010 02:56 PM

If he has a parole officer, call his PO and report him for parole violation. If he was in the city or county lock up and served out his sentence, I don't know what you can do except keep a safe distance away from him.

dollydo 09-19-2010 03:02 PM

Very difficult to get someone committed. If he is abusive to you, you can call the police and have him arrested, then get a restraining order to protect yourself.

He will do drugs as long as he wants to, no matter what you do or want. No one can be forced to jump on the recovery train.

What are you doing for yourself? Meetings? Have you read Codependent No More? Might help.

fourmaggie 09-19-2010 04:01 PM

GO TO AL ANON meetings NOW, go at least 6xs...if one group you dont like, find another....

THIS is his responsiblity to get RECOVERY...he is gonna WANT IT...
IN THE MEAN TIME......
YOU go for yourself...

all you need to know it this at first:
THE 3 C'S
1. YOU did not cause this
2. YOU can not control this
3. YOU can not cure this...

seekingcalm 09-19-2010 04:58 PM

please just take care of yourself.

There is nothing you can do for him.

Find an Al Anon meeting, keep reading and posting here. Keep yourself safe.