Activities that keep you sane

Old 09-19-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
LTD how the heck did you do that? It's fascinating.
Photoshop is an amazing program, but like anything, it takes patience and perseverance to achieve the results you want. I spent hours working on that photo today, and I confess I spend more than two hours a week on stuff like this. But, it's been so healing for me to let my creative side out after working for so many years in a rational and logical career. (IT)

I'm still not completely satisfied with my Crater Lake photo. I'll probably revisit it sometime after I learn more. Meanwhile, I think I'll print this version to hang in my office.

L
Old 09-19-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For those who can't afford Photoshop there's "Gimp". Almost as good and totally free.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Mike
* who uses both for a living *
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The program Gimp is so cool. I love it. So far nothing I've done looks nearly as beautiful as LaTeeDa's photo - or Pierat's cool signatures and avatars, but I used to play around with the software a lot and now that I remember that I have it will start again.

How about knitting? I'm working on a sweater from my DS and am hoping to have it done before he outgrows it. Seriously, when I started it, it was 3 sizes bigger than he was wearing, but it's going to be a close call; and while it's been a couple months since I started it, it's not my oldest unfinished object.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me, the thing that kept me sane through my darkest hours was playing arcade games and improve your brain games. It was an escape.
Lately I've started doing acting workshops, and I really enjoy it. It is a great self exploration tool and it really reduces stress, as I chose ones that are quite physical. One of the best experiences for me so far.
I aslo do Pilates 3 times a week.
But the thing that has really kept my sanity is this place, as it has been a reality check point for me for a very long time.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
okay, why keep talkin about sex?
where can i find this hot monkey sex?
not the flying monkeys...they are ridiculous.
sigh.....
lemme see if that puzzle will work that out of my mind.
you wicked wicked people.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Hey Lotus! Where'd ya go? We're having all this fun without you. Come back!

And poor Wicked. Stay away from those flying monkeys, they're trying to keep you from buying your dream boots!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Knitting!!!!

I still haven't graduated past scarves - but I love it! Especially in the winter - it just feels so cozy to have all that yarn on my lap or around me!

peace-
B
Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

crochet or knitting
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just signed up at the Y (and yes, I have the dreaded song in my head everyday) and have taken to try a new class every week. Last week I did African dancing, and today I did Persian dancing...SO. MUCH. FUN.! And sweaty! There's nothing like working up a good sweat to give you that natural mood enhancement.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

LOOOL ... you guys are awesome!!!!

Transform... I don't think your move will stretch out a whole semester - at least I hope not ... but I'd be happy to help you anytime (seriously, let me know!!!). And if you have some extra drama laying around, feel free to hand it over, I think I'm starting to realize that I like to create a little bit of drama (or an unhealthy push and pull relationship) when there is none, so maybe if I take on another person's drama, I won't feel the need to create my own

Summerpeach.... lol - hot monkey sex, huh!? ... Yours and Pelican's idea of publishing my "hot monkey sex" journal afterwards, might just be the best idea ever. Second income ... suuuper tempting !!!! LOL! Love it!!!

But seriously you all, THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for all the helpful suggestions. I haven't decided yet (I think I've got another week before I need to make a decision)... so I'm gonna make a list with all your ideas and then pick one!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Learning guitar basics, and SINGING. I was a passable singer for years, and spent a lot of time harmonizing to the car radio... and improved without noticing. There have been times in the past couple of years when my friends ask me to sing, or record me, and I can't believe that sound coming out is my voice! I miss the heck out of the life that alcoholism took from me, but on the other hand... I gained this new identity, which includes being, among my friends, that chick who can improvise a harmony and hit the high notes. It's a great feeling.

Oh, also, weightlifting. I've had to slack off due to other obligations for awhile, but it was great for keeping sadness at bay and making me focus on the moment during the worst of my divorce.

Hmm, note to self, this monkey sex thing sounds interesting too

Last edited by BuffaloGal; 09-20-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: edit!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I quilt. It needs my undivded attention, so for awhile I don't think about my life. I also walk. And pray, H
Old 09-21-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I know it might sound silly, but what about pole dancing classes? Around my area you can take a class and it is more fun than your basic aerobics class, its all women (of all ages and shapes) and you feel incredibly feminine and sexy when you come out. Of course, the pain sets in the next day but it is worth it
Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Cycling is my number 1 outlet for releasing stress. When I am on my bike, I feel free and I do not think about anything else. I also work with animals, which is wonderful. Being craftsy is another love of mine--knitting, sewing, making things....keeping my hands busy.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

i like sewing lately.

i modify my clothing...add this...remove that...tailor it...

also fun to sew sheer voiles for the windows, pillows...

lately, i've been buying old fur coats and cutting them up and adding fur collars and muffs to my leather coats...it's very cold here in scotland and the fur is cozy...

naive